Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking ahead: what position(s) needs upgrading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craiger wrote: View Post
    why is me thinking him being the worst defender of those who play regular minutes on this team make me "not look reasonable"?
    Because you don't back it up, especially when you are saying that Vasquez is better defender than him.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      SF. DD gone, Ross to the 2, new guy at the 3.
      Same here.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
        Because you don't back it up, especially when you are saying that Vasquez is better defender than him.

Oh the irony......

Well since you feel I need to "back it up"

Val has the worst drtg of all players who play regular minutes. Has the worst drtg of all players who play regular minutes since Gay trade. Has the worst drtg in the starting line up. Has the worst defensive on/off rating of all players who play regular minutes.

*all this information available at NBA.com, and 82games.com

Your turn at being 'reasonable'.

Comment

Oh the irony......

Well since you feel I need to "back it up"

Val has the worst drtg of all players who play regular minutes. Has the worst drtg of all players who play regular minutes since Gay trade. Has the worst drtg in the starting line up. Has the worst defensive on/off rating of all players who play regular minutes.

*all this information available at NBA.com, and 82games.com

Your turn at being 'reasonable'.
          Well Im here not to say that you are an miserable person, whos wrong and subjective. I get it and you backed it up, thats all I was asking. There wont be any "turns" here, its just that hes a young guy who usually passes my eye test and I watch Raptors games so I feel that I can argue. It's a opinion and thats your opinion and that's fine I guess its reasonable. Its just that it didnt sound like that when you called him the worst defender out of 9 guys rotation we have. No one's right here, no one's wrong.
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

except he is not the anchor, Amir is.

I think Jonas has a future in the NBA, will improve, and will be a highly productive player, offensively and defensively - but right now he is the worst defender not only in the starting line up, but also of all those who play regular minutes.

Right now this defense is very good despite him, but not with him or because of him.
            I disagree.

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingD...&sortOrder=ASC

Using the NBA Stats default screen for rim protection, Val is 16th out of 46 bigs. As a 21 year old sophomore, no less.

Off/on DRatings are convoluted by lineups and opposition (starters vs bench), but of the 5 worst lineups that have played 15 minutes together this season, here are the bigs involved:
            138.0 - Hansbrough, Amir
            120.6 - Patterson, Amir
            114.3 - Patterson, Val
            109.8 - Patterson, Amir
            109.3 - Amir, Novak/Gay

According to synergy, on PPP Val is 76th overall defensively and 21st in post up situations in the entire league. Vasquez with the Raps is 282nd overall.

Val still has a long way to go to improve his help D, but he's nowhere near the worst defender among the regulars. Vasquez is easily worse, and Demar (while improved) still doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.
            Last edited by Scraptor; Sat Jan 18, 2014, 01:10 PM. Reason: Bbref.com and Nba.com d ratings do not agree.

Comment

I think Jonas has a future in the NBA, will improve, and will be a highly productive player, offensively and defensively - but right now he is the worst defender not only in the starting line up, but also of all those who play regular minutes.

Right now this defense is very good despite him, but not with him or because of him.
              I think is is easier to teach defense than it is offense, since the skill set is simpler. JV has the size, willingness, athletic ability and footspeed to be a very good defender. He just has to refine his role, his positioning and his attention to the scouting reports as well as continue to gain strength in the off-season. Nature will take care of increased size. I believe he will add 10-15 pounds over the course of the next couple of years. I suspect that we will see significant improvement in his D over this season, let alone between this season and next.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                I think is is easier to teach defense than it is offense, since the skill set is simpler. JV has the size, willingness, athletic ability and footspeed to be a very good defender. He just has to refine his role, his positioning and his attention to the scouting reports as well as continue to gain strength in the off-season. Nature will take care of increased size. I believe he will add 10-15 pounds over the course of the next couple of years. I suspect that we will see significant improvement in his D over this season, let alone between this season and next.
                I'm not at all doubting he will improve. This was directly about him anchoring this team's top 5 D

I disagree.

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingD...&sortOrder=ASC

Using the NBA Stats default screen for rim protection, Val is 16th out of 46 bigs. As a 21 year old sophomore, no less.

Off/on DRatings are convoluted by lineups and opposition (starters vs bench), but of the 5 worst lineups that have played 15 minutes together this season, here are the bigs involved:
                138.0 - Hansbrough, Amir
                120.6 - Patterson, Amir
                114.3 - Patterson, Val
                109.8 - Patterson, Amir
                109.3 - Amir, Novak/Gay

According to synergy, on PPP Val is 76th overall defensively and 21st in post up situations in the entire league. Vasquez with the Raps is 282nd overall.

Val still has a long way to go to improve his help D, but he's nowhere near the worst defender among the regulars. Vasquez is easily worse, and Demar (while improved) still doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.
                first off I didn't present just on/off data, I used net drtg vs the team aswell. Not only for the season, but since the trade.

secondly where he ranks against the league in any stat or another, has nothing to do with 'this team'

Third '15 minute' lineups is so small its irrelevant, as is just selecting the bigs involved in those line ups (I'll point out NONE of those 'worst' line ups include Vasquez, they all include Lowry)

Finally, the synergy information you have is individual situations, if we are talking D, we aren't just talking individual situations, and again sample matters. Just like on/off is 'convoluted' by line ups, so is synergy convoluted by match ups, line ups, samples, and definitions.

Let's not forget Bargnani was a top 10 1 on 1 defender on a points per possession basis, #2 among big men in opponents eFG% - but still constantly demolishes a team's defense.

I have no problems with someone disagreeing (calling me 'unreasonable' is another thing but thats neither here nor there), and I don't think the stats are perfect. But I think right now Val is not the reason this teams D - its been the great D by the bench vs the opposing teams and, more than anything, the dominant defense by Amir. Who, I think anyways, should be in the running for DPOY right now (even if he won't win it).
                Last edited by Craiger; Sat Jan 18, 2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Amir is a great defender and is definitely better than Val. Val also still makes a lot of silly fouls and youngin' mistakes (Amir went through this phase too). But my point is that the Centre position is understood to be the most important position defensively , and Val is the starting centre for the 5th best defence in the league.

You can make an argument that it is inspite of Val, but defence is a team game and each position needs to play its roles for it to work. Since the C role has the largest role on D, for Val, he has been playing the role well enough NOT to become a negative defensively. This is what matters to me. We can be top 5 defensively with Val at C. Many promising centres lack the defensive fundamentals and couldn't anchor a top-5 defence. The fact that Val can, in his sophomore season, is highly promising.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Amir is a top 8 PF in the league. How can you guys think we need upgrade in PF position ?

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                      Amir is a top 8 PF in the league. How can you guys think we need upgrade in PF position ?
                      Because we don't have a good backup C or PF, which Amir can gather 30+ minutes a night playing.

Love - Val - Amir is just the best front-line I can ask for.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                        Because we don't have a good backup C or PF, which Amir can gather 30+ minutes a night playing.

Love - Val - Amir is just the best front-line I can ask for.
                        Kevin Love coming to Toronto !!! You must be dreaming ...

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                          Kevin Love coming to Toronto !!! You must be dreaming ...
                          Obviously its conjecture, but its still a possibility.

Comment

why is me thinking him being the worst defender of those who play regular minutes on this team make me "not look reasonable"?
                            Because DD is the worst defender of those who play regular minutes

Comment

I'm not at all doubting he will improve. This was directly about him anchoring this team's top 5 D

first off I didn't present just on/off data, I used net drtg vs the team aswell. Not only for the season, but since the trade.

secondly where he ranks against the league in any stat or another, has nothing to do with 'this team'

Third '15 minute' lineups is so small its irrelevant, as is just selecting the bigs involved in those line ups (I'll point out NONE of those 'worst' line ups include Vasquez, they all include Lowry)

Finally, the synergy information you have is individual situations, if we are talking D, we aren't just talking individual situations, and again sample matters. Just like on/off is 'convoluted' by line ups, so is synergy convoluted by match ups, line ups, samples, and definitions.

Let's not forget Bargnani was a top 10 1 on 1 defender on a points per possession basis, #2 among big men in opponents eFG% - but still constantly demolishes a team's defense.

I have no problems with someone disagreeing (calling me 'unreasonable' is another thing but thats neither here nor there), and I don't think the stats are perfect. But I think right now Val is not the reason this teams D - its been the great D by the bench vs the opposing teams and, more than anything, the dominant defense by Amir. Who, I think anyways, should be in the running for DPOY right now (even if he won't win it).
                              I don't disagree that Amir is the main man and the anchor. But I think to say that Val is the worst defender of the regulars is pretty ridiculous.

The fact that Val is ranked so highly for rim protection shows how he helps erase a lot of mistakes by the frontcourt. That's why when we take him out and go small at the end of games we tend to lose more. Amir is great but he can't do it alone.

There is a reason Vasquez, Patterson, and Demar have reps as bad defenders. The team defense benefits immensely from having guy like Lowry and Amir (and now Ross) tighten things up. Not to mention that if Vasquez and Patterson had to play opposing starters they'd get their Drtgs mauled pretty quick.

Start a team of Vasquez, Demar, Salmons, Patterson, and Val and I think you'd change your tune pretty quick as to who is the worst defender of the bunch.

Comment

Vasquez is infuriating to watch. Pretending to run out to the perimeter but running to the side furthest from the rim, giving too much space to jump shooters, missing assignments...combine that with the ridiculous, nonchalant passes that a blind person could intercept -- he might as well just hand the ball to the opposition sometimes. For the Raptors to get anywhere in the playoffs they need a better option than him.

Sadly, he's light years better than the mish-mash rig-a-ma-roll he replaced. Getting either a pass first responsible backup, or an efficient scoring PG should be priority #1.

Comment

Working...
                                X