Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Ppl don't give BC enough credit. If JV makes a huge jump next year, doesn't this team look a lot more than 8th seed?
    I think it would be better to find the best man for the job instead of searching for excuses to save BC

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      There's potential. Val will have issues though. Teams will start game planning for him. Showing him doubles. He'll have to make good decisions. Teams will attack him trying to draw fouls.

It's easy to get too excited about JV but he's likely 3-4 years away from entering his prime. He's only 20/21. I keep telling myself that. Still, while I don't think he's Shaq or Yao or Wilt or Russell, I do believe he can be an elite centre. Maybe I'm wearing the rose coloured glasses but I don't see the comparisons to Chandler and Noah. Those guys are not as good as JV's ceiling.
      Agreed...I don't even see the comparisons to Marc Gasol, though I will at least sort of agree that his skill set, physicality and energy make it easy to think of him as something of a cross between Gasol and Noah...

BUT, to me this just means an actual skilled 2-way centre who isn't slow. The best comparisons I can think of for JV, that I always hesitate to say because people will think I'm crazy, are Tim Duncan, and Pau Gasol (with a higher motor). Now, he has a lot to prove to actually become as good as those guys, but I see no reason why he can't be something at least close to that good. Frankly, he already looks to have a better motor and is tougher compared to Gasol. I really believe all the tools are there.

He literally has every single skill you can want from a C, and he's made pretty significant strides defensively even just withint the season...and people don't appreciate how hard that is for a FOREIGN rookie, because D is so much about communication, and for the first few months his English was pretty broken. I don't know what his passing is like, but he hasn't been in that position where he initiates team offense from the post a lot...that will come as this year closes out and next year. From what I've seen, there's no reason to think he can't at least be adequate there.

*On the first bold, I don't know if you mean on O, but on D guys have been attacking him since day 1. And off the ball guys have been taking shots at him....elbows, bodychecks, Hansbroughs (a new name for comedically flagrant fouls that get ignored)...And really, the only guy who stuck up for him was Kleiza (physically, I mean, because Linas is a killer). I am already very impressed by the amount of control JV is playing with now (since the all-star break), as he has become quite a bit better at avoiding fouls without backing down at all. Often that's the problem with rookies...they back down to avoid fouls/bruises...JV doesn't care either way, he's limiting his fouls a bit better, and you know he's going to give back every hit he gets.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 5, 2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Ppl don't give BC enough credit. If JV makes a huge jump next year, doesn't this team look a lot more than 8th seed?
        I think that BC's thoughts about his legacy as Raptors GM are the following:
        "I hope I will be remembered as the guy who drafted Valanciunas and not for all the other crap I have done...".

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I don't know what his passing is like, but he hasn't been in that position where he initiates team offense from the post a lot...that will come as this year closes out and next year. From what I've seen, there's no reason to think he can't at least be adequate there.
          I really enjoyed his pass here to Amir at 1:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvdZ8...tailpage#t=84s

Comment

Why would I give BC credit? JV fell right into his lap. Wasn't Bismack Biyombo second on his board? Thank God that didn't happen. BC's drafting is ok, but from his history in TO, he has never had to make really difficult picks....The hardest was the #1 he used on Bargs, which I won't bash him for because again, that was a weak draft, and it's hard not to draft a 3 pt shooting PF with the body of a C and good athleticism. The next was the #8 he used on Ross, because all the picks TO desired were obviously gone. To early to tell on Ross, but again, he didn't even take a risk like he did with Bargs, he just drafted the next wing (team need) on his board after the others were gone.

I would give JV credit for his improvement and the impact that has on the team (and credit to coaches/teammates for helping him have that impact), and still hope BC gets fired.

Comment

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
              I really enjoyed his pass here to Amir at 1:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvdZ8...tailpage#t=84s
              He also had a nice pass to Fields on a cut out of a double last game. You can already tell how much better he is at being patient and reading the D than compared to earlier on this season...I just love this kid.

Found the highlights on youtube for last game...nothign shorter than this...The nice pass to Fields is just after the 3 minute mark.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 5, 2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Also, a naturally likeable guy who has presence about him, on and off the court...

Hadn't seen this before, it's only a 30 second blip.

Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 5, 2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Man, JV is damn funny!!!! I don't know how I missed that one until now:

Comment

• Thought this would be fun, just to show how JV is making progress, but also doing so consistently, with different splits going back from now to his return.....
                    Stats are....MPG, PPG (FGA-FG%), RPG (ORPG), BPG, APG, TOs, PFs

Last 5 games: 37.0, 18.4 (10.4 - 61.5%), 9.4 (2.6), 2.8, 0.8, 2.4, 3.2
                    Last 10 games: 32.7, 15.9 (8.7 - 67.8%), 8.3 (2.3), 1.7, 0.8, 2.3, 3.0
                    Last 15 games: 29.8, 13.6 (8.1 - 62.8%), 7.4 (2.0), 1.5, 0.6, 1.8, 3.1
                    Last 20 games: 27.3, 11.2 (7.1 - 59.6%), 7.3 (2.1), 1.4, 0.5, 1.7, 2.9
                    Last 29 games: 24.5, 9.4 (5.9 - 58.8%), 6.9 (2.1), 1.2, 0.4, 1.6, 3.0

Little thing I like about it...the fouls have stabilized despite much more minutes. Can't really fault the assists given how rarely he touches the ball to initiate offense, often being a finisher. The turnover numbers aren't great, but that's somewhat expected, and still, when I look at them, they aren't as bad as I thought they could be.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Thought this would be fun, just to show how JV is making progress, but also doing so consistently, with different splits going back from now to his return.....
                      Stats are....MPG, PPG (FGA-FG%), RPG (ORPG), BPG, APG, TOs, PFs

Last 5 games: 37.0, 18.4 (10.4 - 61.5%), 9.4 (2.6), 2.8, 0.8, 2.4, 3.2
                      Last 10 games: 32.7, 15.9 (8.7 - 67.8%), 8.3 (2.3), 1.7, 0.8, 2.3, 3.0
                      Last 15 games: 29.8, 13.6 (8.1 - 62.8%), 7.4 (2.0), 1.5, 0.6, 1.8, 3.1
                      Last 20 games: 27.3, 11.2 (7.1 - 59.6%), 7.3 (2.1), 1.4, 0.5, 1.7, 2.9
                      Last 29 games: 24.5, 9.4 (5.9 - 58.8%), 6.9 (2.1), 1.2, 0.4, 1.6, 3.0

Little thing I like about it...the fouls have stabilized despite much more minutes. Can't really fault the assists given how rarely he touches the ball to initiate offense, often being a finisher. The turnover numbers aren't great, but that's somewhat expected, and still, when I look at them, they aren't as bad as I thought they could be.
                      I like that.

Solid season for this young kid.

Comment

• Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• No Homo but I think every Rap fan including myself just has a man crush on JV hes very very likeable I wouldnt be surprised if he has the leading Raptor jersey sales soon. Walking downtown I saw so many JV jerseys today.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                            No Homo but I think every Rap fan including myself just has a man crush on JV hes very very likeable I wouldnt be surprised if he has the leading Raptor jersey sales soon. Walking downtown I saw so many JV jerseys today.

Comment

• LOL If I told JV he was hot he would likely pause then say "thank you you are hot as well"

Most likable Rap ever even though DeMar is my fav

Comment

• 2k sports gotta lift JV's overall rating.

Comment

Working...
                                X