X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor's mid-season grade by CnnSi...

Toronto Raptors: C-
    15-27, No. 11 in the East

The Raptors deserve two grades: one with and without Andrea Bargnani. Before their franchise forward went down with an elbow injury in December, Toronto was 4-18. Since then, the Raptors are 11-9. Even with five losses in their last six games, the quality of play and entertainment value have been up considerably. They’re still going nowhere, but at least it’s not a total drag to watch. (In the case of Terrence Ross, it can actually be incredibly exhilarating.) The Raptors are clearly a team to watch at the trade deadline. It’s probably too ambitious to expect that they will find a sucker to take Bargnani, but they at least need to get value for Jose Calderon before he hits free agency this summer.

Full Article here:
    http://nba.si.com/2013/01/24/midseas...?sct=uk_t12_a9
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Axel wrote: View Post
    Toronto Raptors: C-
    15-27, No. 11 in the East

The Raptors deserve two grades: one with and without Andrea Bargnani. Before their franchise forward went down with an elbow injury in December, Toronto was 4-18. Since then, the Raptors are 11-9. Even with five losses in their last six games, the quality of play and entertainment value have been up considerably. They’re still going nowhere, but at least it’s not a total drag to watch. (In the case of Terrence Ross, it can actually be incredibly exhilarating.) The Raptors are clearly a team to watch at the trade deadline. It’s probably too ambitious to expect that they will find a sucker to take Bargnani, but they at least need to get value for Jose Calderon before he hits free agency this summer.

Full Article here:
    http://nba.si.com/2013/01/24/midseas...?sct=uk_t12_a9
    NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo

haha patience Matt. Let him return to the line-up and boost his value to something reasonable. If he can't do that, then perhaps amnesty is the best direction. At least this re-affirms my point that trading Jose is Priority #1.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

haha patience Matt. Let him return to the line-up and boost his value to something reasonable. If he can't do that, then perhaps amnesty is the best direction. At least this re-affirms my point that trading Jose is Priority #1.
        I think amnestying Bargnani would be a completely idiotic idea, and i don't think there is a chance of it happenning. Why would you let another team claim him at 0-2 million, well we pay him to improve another team. Bargs still has youth and talent, he's not a amnesty candidate. I would rather take a 2nd pick and have a choice where he plays or keep him as a sixth man.

Comment

What if we throw in a winding musical box, some shades and a monkey?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo

LOL.. I don't think the negative media attention can make this situation any worse than it already is. Like someone else said, we just have to hope that when he returns, he plays half decently for long enough that another team buys in.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
              LOL.. I don't think the negative media attention can make this situation any worse than it already is. Like someone else said, we just have to hope that when he returns, he plays half decently for long enough that another team buys in.
              My fear with this strategy is that "if" Bargnani plays half-decently, it somehow convinces the coaches/management that Bargnani has turned the corner, and is worth keeping.

When it comes to Bargnani, common sense doesn't exist.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                My fear with this strategy is that "if" Bargnani plays half-decently, it somehow convinces the coaches/management that Bargnani has turned the corner, and is worth keeping.

When it comes to Bargnani, common sense doesn't exist.
                That is scary and sadly likely, but at the end of the day, he needs to play better for us to play him or for us to trade him. Worst case scenario is that he comes back as bad as advertised and we still play him to "showcase" his talents or to "return" to his 13 game form.

Comment

That is scary and sadly likely, but at the end of the day, he needs to play better for us to play him or for us to trade him. Worst case scenario is that he comes back as bad as advertised and we still play him to "showcase" his talents or to "return" to his 13 game form.
                  Just as we Raptors fans are painfully aware that the team plays much better without AB than with him, other teams GMs are assuredly cognizant of that fact, too.

Realistically, for another team to be interested in Bargnani with his 10 million per contract, the Raptors would have to throw in Valanciunas and/or Ross plus unprotected draft picks to take on Andrea and his guaranteed contract.
                  Last edited by stretch; Fri Jan 25, 2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Just how is trading Jose priority #1? Unless there's a promising return, and some late 2nd round pick doesn't do it, I don't understand the rush to unload him,,,,, especially seeing what Lowry's providing these days. Jose is far better for our young guys' development, as things stand now, even if it ends up being just another few months. Unless somebody comes up with a WOW offer, likely stemming from a legit contender's PG going down, I wouldn't be the least surprised that Jose re-signs for a reasonable contract with the Raps this summer.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                      Just how is trading Jose priority #1? Unless there's a promising return, and some late 2nd round pick doesn't do it, I don't understand the rush to unload him,,,,, especially seeing what Lowry's providing these days. Jose is far better for our young guys' development, as things stand now, even if it ends up being just another few months. Unless somebody comes up with a WOW offer, likely stemming from a legit contender's PG going down, I wouldn't be the least surprised that Jose re-signs for a reasonable contract with the Raps this summer.
                      I believe the thought is, from an asset management perspective, that the Raptors likely aren't a playoff team this year so it would make sense to trade Calderon's expiring contract for any asset (even a 2nd round pick), instead of letting him either walk or re-sign without getting anything extra in return. Even if he were to be traded, he could still be (re)signed by the Raptors in the offseason to return to the team next season. From an asset management standpoint, I think the logic makes perfect sense; something is better than nothing, especially if the net cost is absolutely nothing (ie: if Calderon returns next year).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I believe the thought is, from an asset management perspective, that the Raptors likely aren't a playoff team this year so it would make sense to trade Calderon's expiring contract for any asset (even a 2nd round pick), instead of letting him either walk or re-sign without getting anything extra in return. Even if he were to be traded, he could still be (re)signed by the Raptors in the offseason to return to the team next season. From an asset management standpoint, I think the logic makes perfect sense; something is better than nothing, especially if the net cost is absolutely nothing (ie: if Calderon returns next year).
                        Most players probably would not want to come back to the team that traded them away.. it might hurt their pride. Also once the trade is made, the Raptors lose their Bird rights, so they would have to free up enough money to get under the cap to sign him or sign him for the MLE (which he may frown on).

If the team wants Jose to come back (and I'm in the camp where I'd rather go with Lowry or someone else) then they should keep him until the summer and sign him back using his Bird Rights.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                          Just as we Raptors fans are painfully aware that the team plays much better without AB than with him, other teams GMs are assuredly cognizant of that fact, too...
                          Not every other team is constructed the same as the Raptors. Another team, with a strong defensive center and good, three point shooting SF could use a player like Andrea. If you are not counting on him to carry his full load on D (and let's face it, there are lots of players who don't) and don't count on him as your primary scorer, you might be happy to trade away a player who is a spare part on your team. It doesn't matter what position the Raps get back, cause it's not about shoring up their team with whoever it is, it's about getting rid of Bargs for something. the player coming back could be part of another trade for a position of need or picks or whatever.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Not every other team is constructed the same as the Raptors. Another team, with a strong defensive center and good, three point shooting SF could use a player like Andrea. If you are not counting on him to carry his full load on D (and let's face it, there are lots of players who don't) and don't count on him as your primary scorer, you might be happy to trade away a player who is a spare part on your team. It doesn't matter what position the Raps get back, cause it's not about shoring up their team with whoever it is, it's about getting rid of Bargs for something. the player coming back could be part of another trade for a position of need or picks or whatever.
                            Bargnani has talent, no doubt, but he is so lacking in grit or heart that his contribution when all is said and is ultimately a negative one. He has the fat contract and he goes through the motions, you know, the "sign and retire" syndrome. It has been 7 years after all.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              A team like the Lakers really does seem to be a good fit.

Nash: pass-first PG who makes every player around him better offensively

Howard: best defensive anchor C in the league, who plays down low offensively

Kobe: his dribble-penetration sets up their offense, which relies on good outside shooters to be most effective

MWP: other wing is a lock-down perimeter defender who typically guards the opposition's primary scorer

Back when the Gasol rumors first started, I thought that Bargnani would be a great fit in that lineup and I still believe it. I'm just not convinced that Bargnani & Calderon would be enough of a return for Gasol, but the Lakers could be getting desperate, who knows. From a Toronto perspective, I'm just not convinced that Gasol on this young, rebuilding team (especially without Calderon) is the best idea with the long-term in mind. A multi-trade deal with young players & draft picks coming to Toronto would be absolutely ideal (many Minnesota 3-way options work salary-wise).
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jan 25, 2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X