Draft Profile: Jan Vesely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Profile: Jan Vesely

He is an amazing athlete however a lot of his offense comes from opportunity plays like tip-ins and just being active around the basket rather than bona fide skills.

Vesely is a bit better of a shooter than originally advertised. A lot of people have made a point of noting his 43.8% free throw percentage in Euroleague, but neglect to point out that he does hit the three ball at about a 33% rate.

Let's be honest for a minute - Jan Vesely is not a shooter by any means, but he is not nearly as bad as some have suggested in scouting him.

The problem for Vesely is he looks like a lot of players in this draft class: big, long and athletic, with very basic basketball skills.

Vesely is good in transition and he finishes around the rim nicely, but there are a lot of guys with his skill set.

Vesely was extremely good in the post for Partizan Belgrade, mainly because the players he played against couldn't handle his athletic game, but at the NBA level he will find a lot more resistance. He is an average spot up player and decent while moving towards the basket.
    Source: HoopsWorld.com

While reading this all I can think of is "he's not a stiff".
    http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

boooo vesley boooooooooooooo
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Questions about his ability to lead but praise for his character

Vesely is having a fairly good season with Partizan Belgrade, the dominant Serbian club he joined three years ago, with averages of 10.1 ppg and 3.6 rpg in Euroleague play. But the Czech probably didn’t step up as expected for a team that lost a couple of key players in guard Bo McCalebb and center Aleks Maric last summer.

“He had a chance to be a leading player for Partizan this year and he wasn’t,” Loncar said. “The team wasn’t as strong as last year and the American players took the leading role and he couldn’t put himself above them in the pecking order.”

While his inability to lead a squad that didn’t even make it to the quarter finals of the Euroleague could raise questions about his assertiveness, there are no red flags about Vesely’s character or commitment to the game.

“From what I hear, he’s a very cheerful kid,” Loncar said. “Always with a smile in his face. The people in Belgrade love him. He learned Serbian pretty fast, although it’s not that hard when you’re Czech. He’s a true professional, very dedicated to basketball and a hard worker. He’s never been involved in any scandal during his time in Belgrade, as opposed to other players that have gotten into fights. Belgrade is a dangerous city, but he’s been a model off the court.”

Unlike other European players that send mixed messages on their interest in the NBA (for example Nikola Mirotic, who entered his name in the draft but also re-signed with Real Madrid till 2016), Vesely is steadfast about his desire to play in the United States as soon as next season.

“I removed my name from the draft last year, but this year I really want to play there,” Vesely said. “I want to go to the NBA this year and that’s it.”

According to his agent, Aleksandar Raskovic, Vesely will not take part in workouts with NBA teams. Raskovic said his client will be in New York on June 17, though, to go through physical tests akin to the ones draft prospects had at the Chicago combine earlier this month.

Vesely deflects all questions about what he would do in the event of a lockout to his representation, but there’s little question he would land a big contract with a top European club if it came down to it.

Joan Creus, the highly regarded general manager of 2010 Euroleague champion FC Barcelona, thinks Vesely is “up there with the best small forwards in the continent right now.”

“Any big club in Europe would be interested in him,” Creus said. “If there’s a top team in Europe that says it’s not interested in him… Well, they don’t know basketball.”

Creus also believes Vesely could use another year or two in Europe to further develop his game and basketball IQ.

That would be Plan B in any case. If everything goes according to the script, Vesely will become the third Czech player on an NBA roster next season. Too bad not many people in his country will care about it.
        Source: HoopsHype.com

Comment

He is being compared to Shawn Marion and Andrei Kirilenko by Fran Fraschilla (ESPN Insider)

Future position
          While Vesely has shown the versatility to play both forward positions, especially defensively, I see him more as a power forward early in his NBA career. To me, that position in the league is broken down into three distinct styles right now: low post players, "stretch the defense" shooters and energy players who can play without the ball. Vesely's elite athleticism, ability to run the court and play above the rim puts him in that third category.

Athleticism
          Compared to most in this draft, Vesely's athletic ability is off the charts. You don't need to see him at a combine to figure that out.

I've compared his jumping ability to former Sonics and Suns star Tom Chambers. While that's admittedly an old school reference, the bottom line is that Vesely is one of the most electric dunkers in Europe and that will translate to the NBA. He gets his head at the rim on takeoff.

Coupling his running and jumping ability with his agility and length makes him, potentially, an outstanding defender. In fact, his easiest adjustment to the NBA may be on the defensive end of the floor.

Skill level
          Offensively, Vesely is more comfortable at power forward because of an inconsistent jump shot and below average ballhandling skills, but both areas can be improved. If an NBA team is looking for a player with a complete offensive package, he is not the guy yet.

However, because Vesely's shot is not broken, its improvement will certainly keep NBA defenses honest. And another thing I love about Vesely is his ability to play without the ball and get behind defenses for lobs or offensive rebounds. Coupled with some run-out baskets, Vesely will be able to make an offensive contribution even when a team runs few plays for him.

Attitude and disposition
          While Vesely, like many European players, will be a low maintenance player for coaches to deal with, he has started to show a degree of passion as he has matured. Playing for Partizan, one of Europe's most storied teams that features one of the most rabid fan bases, has added to that passion on the court.

Some have even said that he has more "nasty" in him since arriving in Belgrade and that should serve him well as he enters the league. However, it has not yet translated into Vesely rebounding the power forward position like he will need to in the NBA.

Best case scenario: Andrei Kirilenko/Shawn Marion
          The comparisons to Kirilenko are logical because both are athletic European forwards who play with great energy but are under-skilled offensively. The team that drafts Vesely would certainly be satisfied with Kirilenko-type production over the course of his career.

But if Vesely wants to swing for the fences, the best case scenario would be for him to emulate the career of Marion, a four-time NBA All-Star who has had an

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            He is being compared to Shawn Marion and Andrei Kirilenko by Fran Fraschilla (ESPN Insider)

Future position
            While Vesely has shown the versatility to play both forward positions, especially defensively, I see him more as a power forward early in his NBA career. To me, that position in the league is broken down into three distinct styles right now: low post players, "stretch the defense" shooters and energy players who can play without the ball. Vesely's elite athleticism, ability to run the court and play above the rim puts him in that third category.

Athleticism
            Compared to most in this draft, Vesely's athletic ability is off the charts. You don't need to see him at a combine to figure that out.

I've compared his jumping ability to former Sonics and Suns star Tom Chambers. While that's admittedly an old school reference, the bottom line is that Vesely is one of the most electric dunkers in Europe and that will translate to the NBA. He gets his head at the rim on takeoff.

Coupling his running and jumping ability with his agility and length makes him, potentially, an outstanding defender. In fact, his easiest adjustment to the NBA may be on the defensive end of the floor.

Skill level
            Offensively, Vesely is more comfortable at power forward because of an inconsistent jump shot and below average ballhandling skills, but both areas can be improved. If an NBA team is looking for a player with a complete offensive package, he is not the guy yet.

However, because Vesely's shot is not broken, its improvement will certainly keep NBA defenses honest. And another thing I love about Vesely is his ability to play without the ball and get behind defenses for lobs or offensive rebounds. Coupled with some run-out baskets, Vesely will be able to make an offensive contribution even when a team runs few plays for him.

Attitude and disposition
            While Vesely, like many European players, will be a low maintenance player for coaches to deal with, he has started to show a degree of passion as he has matured. Playing for Partizan, one of Europe's most storied teams that features one of the most rabid fan bases, has added to that passion on the court.

Some have even said that he has more "nasty" in him since arriving in Belgrade and that should serve him well as he enters the league. However, it has not yet translated into Vesely rebounding the power forward position like he will need to in the NBA.

Best case scenario: Andrei Kirilenko/Shawn Marion
            The comparisons to Kirilenko are logical because both are athletic European forwards who play with great energy but are under-skilled offensively. The team that drafts Vesely would certainly be satisfied with Kirilenko-type production over the course of his career.

But if Vesely wants to swing for the fences, the best case scenario would be for him to emulate the career of Marion, a four-time NBA All-Star who has had an
            I don't think most remember how good Kirilenko was. He was efficient offensively, and defensively he was just a beast. One of the best and smartest wing defenders I've ever watched. And same with Shawn Marion, I don't think Vesely will ever be a defender like those two, but could become a lot better than them offensively.

Comment

I don't know. He sounds very limited on both end right now in terms of what he can do. He sounds like a project to me and I don't think anyone around here is going to be happy with a project. I also don't feel that there is a need in the draft to take a project 5th overall.

Comment

I'd be happy with a project if that project turns into a young Andrei Kirelenko after two years. I think most Raptors fans understand that this team is not going to be good any time soon. Kirelenko was an all-NBA first team defensive player and Marion was a 4 time all-star and if Vesely becomes that kind of player I don't think you can get mad at a few developmental seasons. I would even say that if Vesely proves he's fast enough to guard the NBA three he will end up having a better carreer than Marion and AK47 because of the massive height advantage he'll hold over almost every three in the league. Another player that he reminds me of is Josh Smith. Like Smith he has a lot of athleticism and can play either the three or the four. Smith was probably a bit more athletic and was a better rebounder and defender in his rookie year than Vesely is likely to be, but in terms of a general player mold and skill set it seems like a good comparison.
                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I would be extremely unhappy with a project if that project bust while some team drafting 6-10 gets Walker and Walker turns out to be the stud I think he's going to be.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    I'd be happy with a project if that project turns into a young Andrei Kirelenko after two years. I think most Raptors fans understand that this team is not going to be good any time soon. Kirelenko was an all-NBA first team defensive player and Marion was a 4 time all-star and if Vesely becomes that kind of player I don't think you can get mad at a few developmental seasons. I would even say that if Vesely proves he's fast enough to guard the NBA three he will end up having a better carreer than Marion and AK47 because of the massive height advantage he'll hold over almost every three in the league. Another player that he reminds me of is Josh Smith. Like Smith he has a lot of athleticism and can play either the three or the four. Smith was probably a bit more athletic and was a better rebounder and defender in his rookie year than Vesely is likely to be, but in terms of a general player mold and skill set it seems like a good comparison.
                    Same, but AK47 was so uniquely talented that I just have to assume that's Vesely's best case scenario, with worst case scenario of being a total flop, and what actually happens being somewhere in between.

That said, for me, I'd say development time be damned, I just want whoever will be the best player available when looking back 3+ years from now. I'm not sure anyone who thinks they could personally turn us into a quality contender with less than 2 years of making trades A, B and C, and signing free agents D, E and F is being very realistic (or thinking of anything more than being a first-round fodder for several years). The 2013-2014 season is when I'm expecting us to be a quality team again. Draft a quality youngster this summer and next with our high lottery picks, look to fill out our team with a mid-first round pick and via free agency the summer after that, and hopefully we'll be in the hunt from then on.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      I would be extremely unhappy with a project if that project bust while some team drafting 6-10 gets Walker and Walker turns out to be the stud I think he's going to be.
                      I'd also be extremely unhappy if some team drafting 6-10 gets a cornerstone-type player while we get Walker and Walker turns out to be a sixth man type that I think he's going to be. =)

Comment

We have a 6'1" point with questions about his ability to run a team vs. 6'11" small forward project who has high bust potential: I take the Small forward because on the chance he reaches his potential and dominates his position. Walker may end up being a great point but he has just as much potential to bust as Vesely and doesn't have the upside that Vesely has. I think I'd take Knight ahead of both of them at the moment but in general I prefer to draft on athleticism and physical tools so long as the player behind those tools seems to be at all competent.
                        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          I don't know. He sounds very limited on both end right now in terms of what he can do. He sounds like a project to me and I don't think anyone around here is going to be happy with a project. I also don't feel that there is a need in the draft to take a project 5th overall.
                          He's definitely not a number 5 pick. If there wasn't a looming lockout, and the top prospects actually declared this year, he would barely be in the lottery. Right now, he's a long and very athletic forward. Who works hard inside, and is anti-Euro, as in unlike the stereotype he lives in the paint.

The Raptors shouldn't even consider him at number 5. I think the only players worthy to be picked fifth are: Kanter, Walker, Valanciunas or Knight.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                            He's definitely not a number 5 pick. If there wasn't a looming lockout, and the top prospects actually declared this year, he would barely be in the lottery. Right now, he's a long and very athletic forward. Who works hard inside, and is anti-Euro, as in unlike the stereotype he lives in the paint.

The Raptors shouldn't even consider him at number 5. I think the only players worthy to be picked fifth are: Kanter, Walker, Valanciunas or Knight.
                            I'd just like to point out that Vesely was considered a lottery pick last year before he pulled out. Considering how much stronger last year's class is compared to this year's I don't see how you can say he shouldn't be in the lottery.
                            He is a top 10 pick in this draft and if you don't think so I would suggest you spend more time watching him.

-Churchill

Comment

I think the Josh Smith comparison is a great one. Even if doesn't end up being able to guard 3's we could still put him in the front court with Ed Davis(they would both have to hit hard for the next couple years) and let them grow together. I don't see Andrea as part of this teams future.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                              X