"flop!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "flop!"

What does everyone else think on this? I thought this was extremely interesting. Flopping and actual charges/falls could be hard to tell difference.

And then there is LeBron.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

not a big fan of flopping, of course, but the one that pisses me off is the offensive flop as jeff van gundy calls it. the scream on the way to the basket that is supposed to let the refs know someone looked at you funny is what gets me the most.

Comment

Hopefully they give out fines way better than they give out call in the NBA....

Comment

A 'flop' shouldn't bring an in game penalty (foul, technical etc) anyways. It should be 'no call' when it happens. Unfortunately too often the refs bite for them and make a call (general in favour of the flopper) which is where the problem is.

Hopefully punishing those with punitive damages will make a difference.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          not a big fan of flopping, of course, but the one that pisses me off is the offensive flop as jeff van gundy calls it. the scream on the way to the basket that is supposed to let the refs know someone looked at you funny is what gets me the most.
          ahhh... the chris bosh special.

drive, when you feel slight contact, throw the ball forward, flail your arms like a wacky waving inflatable tube man, make the face of a baby dinosaur searching for its mother's teat, and make a noise reminiscent of school girl pricking her hand with a needle.

know it well.

Comment

Its funny seeing lebron go down at the slightest contact, the man is a freight train. It would take a cataclysmic event to knock him down for real.

Comment

I don't know why "flopping" is the big problem to the competition committee. It's a judgement call by the refs.

The biggest problem with competition in the NBA, bar none, is tanking. Rosters are gutted, players with minor injuries are with held from playing. It more than cheapens the product on the floor. I could go on a rant here. I will wait until after Christmas.

Yes, I know, this is the flopping thread not tanking.

Comment

Well tanking is a flop by an entire organization. One could argue tanking the the biggest flop of all

Comment

Skip Bayless tweeted that full responsibility should be placed on referees for making the calls on flops. Thoughts?
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                    Skip Bayless tweeted that full responsibility should be placed on referees for making the calls on flops. Thoughts?
                    They wouldn't have the angles and replays that reviewing afterwards would have

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      Well my first thought about more or less anything Skip Bayless says is, "God, Skip Bayless is such a hack."

But in this case I think he's wrong because of how much it would slow down the game. One of the best things about basketball is the pace, the flow of the game. Having refs do video reviews of every foul call where they might suspect a flop would slow the game to a crawl. And if he's suggesting that the refs should handle it without any help from replays, well, that's just maintaining the status quo. Reffing is hard, and there are a lot of great actors in the league.

Comment

And its official.

"Flopping" will be defined as any physical act that appears to have been intended to cause the referees to call a foul on another player. The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact.

Physical acts that constitute legitimate basketball plays (such as moving to a spot in order to draw an offensive foul) and minor physical reactions to contact will not be treated as flops.

Any player who is determined to have committed a flop during the regular season will be subject to the following:

Violation 1: Warning

Violation 2: $5,000 fine

Violation 3: $10,000 fine

Violation 4: $15,000 fine

Violation 5: $30,000 fine

Source

And Skip Bayless is a fool.

Comment

Those fines are a joke, but at least its something. It will stop the little guys from doing it I guess, and might instill good basketball values, but do you think D-Wade is going to care that he has to pay a $5000 fine for flopping when there is a playoff game on the line?

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
                            Those fines are a joke, but at least its something. It will stop the little guys from doing it I guess, and might instill good basketball values, but do you think D-Wade is going to care that he has to pay a $5000 fine for flopping when there is a playoff game on the line?
                            And after 5 Violations, and subsequent fines, they face possible Suspension.

The article also goes on to state that the NBA will be releasing rules which are specific to Playoff Games.

Comment

Oh cool, that makes more sense. I hope they can get something done with this, flopping is annoying as hell. The yelling going to the basket is aweful too. In NBA2k13 they yell for almost every shot haha. I guess its realistic

Comment

Working...
                              X