Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Karl relieved as Nuggets coach...do we have a chance at him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He botched it 2 seasons ago
    But he also got Andrea's 20 game explosion. If Casey had 2012-2013 Andrea playing for him in 2011, we'd have a realistic chance of drafting the brow.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      To me it's just money. They weren't going to give the big extension and raise he wanted so he's done. Same with Ujiri.

Thing is, those Denver jobs don't look too bad otherwise. Really good team, set up for a few years. They should be able to find quality replacements. Denver will be fine without Karl.
      Maybe or maybe ownership wants a fresh start after next season and they've had to move now because a discontented coach can kill a team. The Nuggets need to have a good year after losing Ujiri.

For the Raptors it's not such a big issue because Casey needs a strong year to secure his next job; Karl is well established.

Comment

FORGET ABOUT IT!

Karl had one year left on his as well.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          It's a shame none of these guys can hit a 3
          Agreed. We need threes!

Bendit wrote: View Post
          denverstiffs.com
          BOOM
          EDIT: I assumed that was a pot shot at the nuggets... until I typed it in and realized that it is a real website... about the nuggets... cocaine is a hell of a drug.

golden wrote: View Post
          There's nothing strange going on at Denver. Just follow the money. The Ujiri let-go is self-explanatory: 1M/yr x 3 yrs vs. 3M/yr @ 5 yrs. That's a huge difference in bid/ask, especially for a small market team. Karl is trying to leverage COY into a long term deal. It's probably more money and longer term than Denver wants to pay.

In this case, I gotta give the benefit of the doubt to the owners. They are not going to let the players, coaches or GMs dictate terms to them. They have a policy not to over-pay and they stick to it. We have seen the result of over-paying in Toronto and what you have to show for it. Denver has been consistently good, so you have to give the owners the benefit of the doubt. Rap fans would have statues of Kroenke family commissioned based upon just making the playoffs a few years in a row, let alone 8 straight or something like that.

That said, I still don't want Karl here. He is somewhat like D'Antoni. His system is a bit of a gimmick style that works great in the regular season, but breaks down when the defensive intensity ratchets up in the playoffs.
          Couldn't disagree with the two bolded statements any more. You talk about OVER PAYING without results... The nuggets just set a FRANCHISE RECORD for WINS... and the biggest name on the roster is Iggy, what results were you expecting with that roster? You also mention that they've been consistently good, and you credit this to the owners? George Karl has been there for 9 years, so you have to split that praise (and fault) between the coaches and owners.

Whether or not you like Ujiri/Karl or not, letting your EOY and COY walk away doesn't sound like you don't want to overpay it sounds like you don't want to pay anyone, anything, at all.

Which makes me glad I'm not a Nuggets fan.
          Last edited by ezz_bee; Thu Jun 6, 2013, 06:16 PM.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            Look if you want to tank you gotta keep Casey

The problem with Casey is that he wins when he's supposed to lose and loses when he's supposed to win.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

After the success they've had together, I'll be very surprised if Ujiri does not try to acquire Karl.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                After the success they've had together, I'll be very surprised if Ujiri does not try to acquire Karl.
                I don't know. When Woj is saying it isn't going to happen now or next year, I have to go with that.

I'm not sure Karl's style of ball is what Ujiri wanted to build or if he just went with what he had to work with. I'd say the latter.

With everything Ujiri has said about developing youth and Casey's infamous lines of going with his vets and benching JV had they been in playoff contention, I don't see this relationship going longer than the upcoming season. It is starting to make more and more sense (to me at least) to let Ujiri flush the roster as he sees fit, start building what he wants the roster to look like, and hire his own coach next year.

Comment

I don't know. When Woj is saying it isn't going to happen now or next year, I have to go with that.

I'm not sure Karl's style of ball is what Ujiri wanted to build or if he just went with what he had to work with. I'd say the latter.

With everything Ujiri has said about developing youth and Casey's infamous lines of going with his vets and benching JV had they been in playoff contention, I don't see this relationship going longer than the upcoming season. It is starting to make more and more sense (to me at least) to let Ujiri flush the roster as he sees fit, start building what he wants the roster to look like, and hire his own coach next year.

While not much is known about Ujiri yet, one thing that has impressed me is his ability to be flexible. As we've seen in Denver, it doesn't have to be his philosophy only. If there are other workable ways of doing it, he's open to them. Considering that things worked quite well with Karl who BTW he has a lot of respect for, I think there's a good chance he'll look into it.

As far as what I think should be done is concerned, blowing things up is the best thing to do IMO. Just get rid of the expensive contracts and acquire assets and draft picks in return. Take advantage of the 2014 draft even if it is a 6th or 7th pick.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X