Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chisholm: What to do about the C position? Forget Tyson Chandler (212)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    Refreshing that the thread has yet to mention the "no more euro" argument. Well, maybe I jinxed the possibilty !!!
    I think most of those guys are gone, thank goodness.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      And while I like Marc Gasol, and he's a very good center, he's never even been an All-Star at this point. He's a good defensive center, but not a great one. He's a good scorer, but not a great one. And he's a decent rebounder, but that's it. The fact that a guy like Gasol is that sought after tells you just how valuable decent centers are.

As for the Raptors going after him, I don't think it's a good idea. He's not the game changer that will turn the team around, but he's enough of an impact player that he'll help it. It EXACTLY a move like that that would push the team onto the mediocrity treadmill.
      This is very sad for me to read because I have serious doubts JV will ever be significantly better than MG and thus, our hopes of getting off the mediocrity treadmill rely entirely upon the Chosen One issuing forth from the 2012 draft.

Oh no!

It's a good thing I am used to your generally pessimist posts and can keep on smiling.

Comment

Another option would be to pick up a cheap centre like Joel Przybilla, Jeff Foster or Jason Collins, use them at the start of each half for five-to-eight minutes, then shift Bargnani to centre for the rest of the time and play Davis and Johnson at power forward in whatever minutes are left over.
        If Alabi and/or Ajinca can't hold the center position next year on their own this is the option i would go for. Maybe even reggie evans if we can get him to play center
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

There is no reason why paying 10 million a year for Marc Gasol would be a bad thing. A championship team could absolutely have that contract on its roster.

But the rumor that he is going to sign a 45 million contract with the Grizzlies strikes me as not credible at all. He is going to be paid more money than that.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
            There is no reason why paying 10 million a year for Marc Gasol would be a bad thing. A championship team could absolutely have that contract on its roster.

But the rumor that he is going to sign a 45 million contract with the Grizzlies strikes me as not credible at all. He is going to be paid more money than that.
            He could be setting up the opening bid.

Look at what starting C's in the league make. Hell look what C's on the bench make.

He'll be getting much more than $9M per season.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              He could be setting up the opening bid.

Look at what starting C's in the league make. Hell look what C's on the bench make.

He'll be getting much more than $9M per season.
              It's possible that Gasol really loves Memphis. He does live there, and went to school there. He's looking at his team and the potential it has.. he could be taking a potential salary hit just so he can play where he wants and to give more cap space to the team going forward so that they can keep a player like Gay or sign another FA in the future.

Gasol could make more than 12 million a year if he wanted to. If he signs with Memphis for 9 then he's doing it for the team, not for himself.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                It's possible that Gasol really loves Memphis. He does live there, and went to school there. He's looking at his team and the potential it has.. he could be taking a potential salary hit just so he can play where he wants and to give more cap space to the team going forward so that they can keep a player like Gay or sign another FA in the future.

Gasol could make more than 12 million a year if he wanted to. If he signs with Memphis for 9 then he's doing it for the team, not for himself.
                I'm not arguing with you but he could want out for all those reasons as well.

I've read rumours both he wants to stay and he wants to leave.... who knows.

I definitely agree he could make more than $9M a year and if he takes $9M to stay in MEM then you are most definitely right.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Is he better than Noah?

Comment

What to do about the C position

I think what we need to do is:

1) sign a cheap defensive C (Kwame Brown, Joel Pryzbilla, Jason Collins) and start him; play him 25-30 min. a game.

2) trade Amir Johnson (though I love the guy but we have a log jam)

3) Play Ed Davis as starting PF and back up C giving him 25-30 min. a game

4) Play Bargnani as the back up PF (when the starting C sits move Ed davis to C position)

I think we gotta play Bargnani as a 6th man, make sure he gets his minutes but match him up against opposing teams' backup PF's to try and hide him defensively.

Throw Alabi into the mix too if he deserves it with limited minutes at C.

Raptors are stacked ... SAY NO TO TANKING!!!!!
                    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                      This is very sad for me to read because I have serious doubts JV will ever be significantly better than MG and thus, our hopes of getting off the mediocrity treadmill rely entirely upon the Chosen One issuing forth from the 2012 draft.

Oh no!

It's a good thing I am used to your generally pessimist posts and can keep on smiling.
                      I think you're the pessimist, here. I actually think Valanciunas can be a better player than Gasol. He's quicker, more athletic, a better rebounder and shotblocker. Considering where Gasol was at the same age, I'd rather bet on Valanciunas.

Besides, I've never been a pessimist. Not sure where you get that from. In fact, I've been accused, at times, of being too much of an optimist or homer. Personally, I consider myself a realist.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post

I agree that a Championship team paying Gasol $10 million is plausible. Unfortunately, the Raptors are nowhere near a Championship team and are far more than just him away from being one. And with Valanciunas coming next season, and a great draft coming up, I don't see the point of going after him.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                          I think what we need to do is:

1) sign a cheap defensive C (Kwame Brown, Joel Pryzbilla, Jason Collins) and start him; play him 25-30 min. a game.

2) trade Amir Johnson (though I love the guy but we have a log jam)

3) Play Ed Davis as starting PF and back up C giving him 25-30 min. a game

4) Play Bargnani as the back up PF (when the starting C sits move Ed davis to C position)

I think we gotta play Bargnani as a 6th man, make sure he gets his minutes but match him up against opposing teams' backup PF's to try and hide him defensively.

Throw Alabi into the mix too if he deserves it with limited minutes at C.

Raptors are stacked ... SAY NO TO TANKING!!!!!
                          You think the Raptors are stacked? Really? And are you not at all concerned that Bargnani has historically struggled whenever he's asked to come off the bench?
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Do absolutely nothing. Keep Bargs in the middle, develop Ed Davis and let the top 3 picks come to us. For the first time in a long time, I actually want Bargs in this team. We need to be last real fast.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              It's because everything is about Bargnani. The development of both Ed Davis and, to a lesser extent, Amir Johnson, is subject to Bargnani. The decision of what kind of player they go after at the SF spot (more defense-rebounder or more scorer) is subject to Bargnani. It even appears that Valancunias' future (starter or backup to veteran centre) is to be dependant on Bargnani. Who you draft in 2012 is subject to Bargnani. These decisions, in turn, affect what you do at the guard spots and off the bench. It's madness. Madness! Argh!

Apologies for the rant but the moving goalposts on Bargnani drives me nuts. I sincerely hope this is all just speculation and management isn't really basing anything around Bargs but I fear the worst.

I couldn't agree more.

Its why some people don't seem to understand why Bargnani gets so much attention. He IS being built around. Not with. Not like Amir or Bayless or Ed or even Derozan... but around. So many important roster and long term decisions are being made with him in mind. Even if its not as a 'legitimate franchise' player. He's still being built around, and if he doesn't suceed the team is, yet again, wasting resources. Wasting time.

If the team would just use him as 90% of the other players in the league are (a starter, a 6th man, a bench warmer, a SF, a C, trade bait whatever) instead of making everything fit around him. Make HIM fit somewhere instead. Oh man... I can't wait for that day.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                You think the Raptors are stacked? Really? And are you not at all concerned that Bargnani has historically struggled whenever he's asked to come off the bench?
                                I think peoples predictions of the Raptors this season are overly pessimistic (raptors are stacked). In regards to Bargnani coming off the bench in the past his minutes were limited, I want him to play the role of Jamal Crawford and still get his 30-36 min. but have him do it on the 2nd squad.
                                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Working...
                                X