Zach Lowe and Bill Simmons on Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zach Lowe and Bill Simmons on Rudy Gay

On Sports Guy's pod cast with Zach Lowe they went off on Rudy Gay for about 10 minutes. Long story short Lowe says it's POSSIBLE it could still work in Toronto.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantla...yer?id=9270983

It's around the 25:00 mark.

Boring offseason stuff I know.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

I never knew that Rudy has brutal Eyesight and has just refused to wear contacts/goggles... that's ... interesting.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      I never knew that Rudy has brutal Eyesight and has just refused to wear contacts/goggles... that's ... interesting.
      Brutal!? does this mean his shooting percentages will shoot into LeBron territory?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        Brutal!? does this mean his shooting percentages will shoot into LeBron territory?
        Who knows, but he's having a procedure done this off-season to improve it. I have to imagine it would have an impact on his efficiency.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          What's interesting is what might happen after he gets things straight with surgery.

Comment

Paraphrased stuff that they said in the BS Report:

In reference to all the stats guys being hired around the NBA (specifically, Sam Hinkie and Hollinger):
            Yeah, neither one of them is taking Rudy Gay. Unless there's some other salary motivation to do it...
            New school of thinking = stats, old school of thinking = not stats.
            I think, Rudy Gay, for a variety of seasons has become the lightning rod for this conversation. The new school of thinking is, there's no way you're going to win if you're paying this guy $18M a year. And then the old school way of thinking is, but here's what this guy does for you, and he isn't afraid at the end of the game, and it's all these hyperbole comments that aren't based in fact. And I think the Rudy Gay trade was the money ball in 2003 in the NBA and how violently some people feel based off of that trade. People either love the trade or hate it.
            Memphis has definitely been better offensively than I thought they would be. What moved the needle with me is that they're a fringe contender with or without Rudy.
            Rudy Gay's absence did not really change my perception of the team. But other people said, "How could you trade your leading scorer?"

"He's your best guy, he's your one guy who can go to war with LeBron..." except he hasn't been that guy for 2 and a half years. The guy I've been watching lately can't shoot anymore.
            Defensively, because he's 6'8 and long and athletic, you can fantacize a lot. But defensively, he was only... slightly above average? He was lazy a couple of times in transition D. He's not rebounding as good as he should be.
            I don't think he's a Small Forward. I think he's a small-ball 4.
            He's going to have a vision correction operation because his eyes have been bad... for years!
            He started to shoot the 3 ball well in the last 10 games, which means absolutely nothing. And he used to be a great 3 point shooter before he hurt his shoulder. I mean, if he can shoot 38% for three, he'll be a completely different player.
            I'm amazed that if you're a professional athlete, and the one thing you have to take care of is your body, you'll go for years without telling anyone that you have vision problems.
            The bottom line is, in 2011 they made their run without 'em. And this year they're making their run without 'em.
            This is a rule that's not up for debate: every time the Grizzlies lose in the playoffs, I am inindated with tweets that they needed Rudy Gay. The rule is, you don't get to do that. They're in the second round, you can't cherry pick the one loss and say "This is the evidence that they need Rudy Gay". No, you can't do that, they've unequivocally won the Rudy Gay trade.

Comment

Rudy Gay had eye surgery in April: http://sport.topnewstoday.org/sport/article/5680560/

That's actually pretty old news.

Comment

Yeah but they're saying he knew about it for years but refused to wear goggles or do anything about until now. That part is crazy.
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                  Yeah but they're saying he knew about it for years but refused to wear goggles or do anything about until now. That part is crazy.
                  sometimes people are afraid to go through with procedures. Not uncommon as you may think.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                    sometimes people are afraid to go through with procedures. Not uncommon as you may think.
                    The only difference here is that the guy is paid millions to put a ball into a basket.

Comment

Well atleast he did it now. Now we know we have rudy at 100%

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                        The only difference here is that the guy is paid millions to put a ball into a basket.
                        ya but phobias happen to anyone look at Royce White guy is getting paid millions or could get paid millions but wont board a plane.

Comment

This was a really good discussion between Simmons and Lowe.

Rudy is a good player. I'm not sure anyone disagrees with this. The problem with Gay always comes back to his contract. Value does not live on Gay's block.

Someone said this to me on these forums I believe about Gay being like Bargnani in the sense that, "Gay would be awesome if....." Raptor fans appear to be back in the Bargnani boat except this time with Gay. Gay would be awesome if:

- he could see,
                          - he could hit high 30's % on his 3's,
                          - he could consistently play lock down defense,
                          - he played with consistent effort.

Gay and Bargnani (you know 18 game Bargnani) would have been awesome. But sadly it is not meant to be.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                            On Sports Guy's pod cast with Zach Lowe they went off on Rudy Gay for about 10 minutes. Long story short Lowe says it's POSSIBLE it could still work in Toronto.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantla...yer?id=9270983

It's around the 25:00 mark.

Boring offseason stuff I know.
                            Actually not. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              ya but phobias happen to anyone look at Royce White guy is getting paid millions or could get paid millions but wont board a plane.
                              It's not a phobia, he just thinks it's going to make him look stupid and refuses to wear it

Comment

Working...
                              X