JV needs to grow up a little bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

navyblues wrote: View Post
    This seems like a joke. I'm not a psychologist here. I'm not going to do a 10 page profile on the young Lithuanian. But sulking, pouting, dragging your heels and literally hanging your head after a foul is called on you (a foul you deserved) actually shows a complete lack of confidence. A confident person would be able to either shake it off and not let it bother him, or be able to tell the referee what he thinks, without becoming emotional. And I'm not saying he won't get there. But right now he's showing insecurity, not confidence.
    Exactly. Let the refs know what's on your mind, but don't let it affect the next play.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

This seems like a joke. I'm not a psychologist here. I'm not going to do a 10 page profile on the young Lithuanian. But sulking, pouting, dragging your heels and literally hanging your head after a foul is called on you (a foul you deserved) actually shows a complete lack of confidence. A confident person would be able to either shake it off and not let it bother him, or be able to tell the referee what he thinks, without becoming emotional. And I'm not saying he won't get there. But right now he's showing insecurity, not confidence.
      You're right, you're not a psychologist. And neither am I, but I find you're misreading his body language quite a bit? When does he sulk, pout or drag his heels? Being upset is not the same as those 3 things.
      He sometimes hangs his head, likely because he's disappointed in himself because he knows it means he's getting subbed out, and he wants to be able to stay in and contribute. Again, this is a sign of underlying confidence. That he knows he should be playing better and that he can help the team on the floor. He does frequently shake it off, as for a young player, his effort on a play is very rarely affected by what happened the previous play. Right now he's showing uncertainty (and honestly mostly just when he's got the ball in his hands as he's not always decisive with his moves), not insecurity, and he just needs time to grasp the mental aspects of the game which will come as it slows down.

If he was unconfident, he would likely show a lot less emotion in general on the court, as he'd feel out of place and incapable. He'd slowly learn to ignore everything that's happening in a negative way, feeling that he doesn't belong and never will.

*And seriously...."...or be able to tell the referee what he thinks, without becoming emotional". So every time Lowry or DeMar get upset and have a fit it's because of a lack of confidence? Or LeBron, or Duncan or Kobe? Or David West (have you seen this guy? he's one of the worst none-stars in the league when it comes to complaining and getting away with overreactions)?

stooley wrote: View Post
      Exactly. Let the refs know what's on your mind, but don't let it affect the next play.
      Again, it very rarely affects the next play.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Feb 14, 2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Again, it very rarely affects the next play.
        That was more of a blanket statement than a specific analysis of JV. You're probably right.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
          That was more of a blanket statement than a specific analysis of JV. You're probably right.
          I mean, especially for a young player. Lots of young guys let their emotions frequently get the best of them. Jonas shows emotion and usually shakes it off. Honestly if he really struggled with it, it would probably show up as a lot more techs with the physical play he deals with and crap treatment he gets from refs (not for the fouls he gets, but the for whistles he doesn't).

Comment

I think JV reacts negatively towards certain calls for a variety of reasons. For one, young unestablished bigs, especially centers, rarely get the benefit of a doubt when there's a lot of contact under the rim. Between the constant incidental contact, flailing body parts and the overall speed of the game force refs to make split second judgment calls dependent, in part, upon subjective factors such as reputation and past anecdotal experiences. The organization previously mentioned Hibbert as a defensive blueprint for JV because a) he's very effective, and b) his reputation as a "master" of the principal of vertically has allowed him to regularly get away with doing the exact opposite. For now, JVs reputation seems to be that of a player who can't protect the rim without excessive fouling. Obviously, this reputation results in erroneous calls against him, and after 1.5 seasons of this you can't really blame him for getting upset.

Alternatively, I think he's still learning the nuances and differences between the NBA and the international game. As a result, I think that sometimes he doesn't even realize he's committed a foul. What might be taken as extreme self-confidence if seen in an established vet like Duncan is actually misplaced bitterness on Valanciunas' behalf when he doesn't understand what he's done wrong.

Making everything all the worse, between Casey' s short leash and the expected foul risks associated with manning the paint mean that JV can ill afford anything else contributing to the amount of time he spends on the bench.

P.s., dude really needs to mix things up down low. Unfortunately, getting his running hook blocked by Anthony Davis during the Rising Stars game will only lead to that happening more than it already gas been over the last few weeks. Between that move and his spasmatic pump fake thing, I was actually a little embarrassed for him last night.
            Being a Toronto Raptors fan is like being in an abusive relationship... Every time you've reached your breaking point after years of disappointment and neglect, they do just enough to give you hope for the future... Only to let you down again.

Here's hoping 2014-2015 breaks the cycle!!! #WeTheNorth

Comment

Insecurity can be overcome.

Comment

Working...
              X