Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    Why is the process taking so long? Why hasn't MLSE made a decision on Colangelo? Other teams are moving quickly, getting their GM/coaching situations nailed down and moving forward.
    It's not taking long, you're just impatient.

The season ended what, 3 weeks ago? Many teams have barely moved yet, even if they started making changes by firing guys. Vacancies still being created faster than they're being filled. And especially in relation to the Raptors, I haven't seen any move, like a GM hiring, that makes me think "damn, Toronto could've hired him if they had already fired BC". Same goes for coaches. Don't feel like anyone has snatched up a fantastic coach before the Raps could have. Big names are still out there. Some good assistants still in the playoffs and not possibilities yet.

Nothing wrong with the approach taken except that it's boring for fans waiting to hear if there'll be a change.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      It's not taking long, you're just impatient.

The season ended what, 3 weeks ago? Many teams have barely moved yet, even if they started making changes by firing guys. Vacancies still being created faster than they're being filled. And especially in relation to the Raptors, I haven't seen any move, like a GM hiring, that makes me think "damn, Toronto could've hired him if they had already fired BC". Same goes for coaches. Don't feel like anyone has snatched up a fantastic coach before the Raps could have. Big names are still out there. Some good assistants still in the playoffs and not possibilities yet.

Nothing wrong with the approach taken except that it's boring for fans waiting to hear if there'll be a change.
      Especially with the new guy just hired 10 days ago.

Comment

• Inverse of reason

No "Fire Tim Leiwke" thread yet?

Comment

• Marc Stein of ESPN when commenting on Phil Jackson's options calls Toronto and Charlotte "bottom feeder franchises in unglamorous Eastern Conference cities."

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...sons-next-move

Comment

Marc Stein of ESPN when commenting on Phil Jackson's options calls Toronto and Charlotte "bottom feeder franchises in unglamorous Eastern Conference cities."

That's huge! Getting Beckham to LA was a bigger deal. This going to hurt if he doesn't come here
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• No more painful than anything else since the existence of this team. It would be par for the course really.

Comment

Marc Stein of ESPN when commenting on Phil Jackson's options calls Toronto and Charlotte "bottom feeder franchises in unglamorous Eastern Conference cities."

Is that good, or bad .. I'm confused.

Comment

• True hoops TV likes Raps chances of landing Phil.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9255130 I think it makes sense and can't wait for all this to be over with. But, is Phil really the perfect guy for the job?

Comment

I think having Toronto known as an "unglamorous" place is just an advantage for us. This could convince Phil that we are the type of team that's in desperate need of his services.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                      Is that good, or bad .. I'm confused.
                      In context, Stein is saying Toronto is not a desirable place to work for someone of Phil's stature and reputation.

Comment

And Utah or San Antonio are glamorous?

Or Houston?

Or Sacramento?

Or Memphis?

Or OKC?

Or Portland?

Or Minnesota?

I'm not trying to be overly sensitive with knocks on Toronto here (and I know I have been guilty in the past) but Toronto is a major international city. It is a very glamorous city on a world scale relative to the majority of NBA markets.

Now are you saying the current basketball situation is lacking glamour? Well that I can agree with.

Comment

i guess someone forgot to tell leiweke

Comment

• Well if he's done with coaching, I doubt he'll bring many good things for us... Maybe some respect and credibility. But anyway, he's known for great work ethic, so why not give a shot ( if he wants to )

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              And Utah or San Antonio are glamorous?

Or Houston?

Or Sacramento?

Or Memphis?

Or OKC?

Or Portland?

Or Minnesota?

I'm not trying to be overly sensitive with knocks on Toronto here (and I know I have been guilty in the past) but Toronto is a major international city. It is a very glamorous city on a world scale relative to the majority of NBA markets.

Now are you saying the current basketball situation is lacking glamour? Well that I can agree with.
                              To play devil's advocate, he did say "in the Eastern Conference". I think it's fair to say that Toronto could very well be perceived by players/agents/media/average Americans as one of the least desirable cities in the EC.

"Glamorous cities" could refer to both the allure of the city itself (rightfully or wrongfully) and/or the history/tradition of the city as a basketball town. The EC boasts some of the most well known and significant cities in the US, even if they're technically smaller, truly less "glamorous" or have a less engaged fanbase than Toronto. I'm not surprised at Toronto being lumped into the bottom third of "glamorous" cities in the EC:

- New York
                              - Brooklyn
                              - Miami
                              - Boston
                              - Chicago
                              - Atlanta
                              - Philadelphia
                              - Washington
                              - Orlando
                              - Detroit

UN-glamorous EC cities
                              - Charlotte
                              - Milwaukee
                              - Cleveland
                              - Indiana
                              - Toronto

Comment

• Detroit is glamorous? lol, have you been to Detroit? :P (I know you said tradition)

Comment

Working...
                                X