Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mired in Monotony: Seven Teams in a Rut (Raptors Included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xixak wrote: View Post
    I'm not even sure how necessary 3+D is.

Somehow Memphis got to the Western Conference Finals with only two starters who could consistently hit the 3... and neither of them were even hitting their 3s in the playoffs. Conley shot 28% and Prince shot 26%. Obviously Tony Allen, Z-Bo and Gasol aren't lights out three point shooters.

I guess that's what an elite team defense can do for you. Memphis was dead last in the NBA in three pointers made per game at 4.7 this year also. Even the Raptors were much better than that (15th with 7 makes).

Indiana also ranked below the Raptors in 3s made (slightly at 6.9) on a slightly higher percentage (34.7% compared to 34.3%). They also featured a lineup with only 2 guys that could hit the three with any consistency (Hill and George). I guess you could add Stephenson as well since he shot 33% on 2.4 attempts per game which isn't bad.
    Somehow Gay gets trashed based on advanced stats, and Memphis made their run "specifically because they didn't have him," but if he were there shooting his usual 40% he would have upped Memphis' efficiency. Go figure.
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

I think his main problem is shying away from contact. He also doesn't really have very good handle. His first step is pretty damn quick but idk he's just not programmed to be a slasher. Would need to change his mentality entirely.

Can anyone find any examples of guys who basically couldn't get to the FT line at all early in their careers but later figured it out and started getting there with regularity?
      Too busy at work (haha, hardly. More like too lazy...) to look up stats, but he reminds me of Derozan with a touch more upside in every facet of his game. Better shooting form, *slightly* better handles, better athleticism, better court vision.... if he has the same work ethic I see no reason that he couldn't be better than Derozan other than he doesn't seem to have that dogg in him.

Comment

Mundy wrote: View Post
        Too busy at work (haha, hardly. More like too lazy...) to look up stats, but he reminds me of Derozan with a touch more upside in every facet of his game. Better shooting form, *slightly* better handles, better athleticism, better court vision.... if he has the same work ethic I see no reason that he couldn't be better than Derozan other than he doesn't seem to have that dogg in him.
        What... how does Ross remind you of DeRozan? The only similarities are their heights and jumping ability. Even there though, Ross is a better 2 footed jumper while DD is better off 1.

Aside from that they're nothing alike. DeRozan was considered a kamikaze driver when he first came into the league (I believe Rivers actually used this term). He shot a lot of free throws in college (4.2 per game), but he was pretty raw as a shooter and ballhandler and was considered a project.

Ross shot 2.7 free throws per game and was supposed to be a polished 3pt shooter coming out (5.5 3PA on 37%). He was also known for his defense and considered a player with less upside who could come in and contribute right away.

Comment

What... how does Ross remind you of DeRozan? The only similarities are their heights and jumping ability. Even there though, Ross is a better 2 footed jumper while DD is better off 1.

Aside from that they're nothing alike. DeRozan was considered a kamikaze driver when he first came into the league (I believe Rivers actually used this term). He shot a lot of free throws in college (4.2 per game), but he was pretty raw as a shooter and ballhandler and was considered a project.

Ross shot 2.7 free throws per game and was supposed to be a polished 3pt shooter coming out (5.5 3PA on 37%). He was also known for his defense and considered a player with less upside who could come in and contribute right away.
          Aren't they both slasher/jump-shooting wings who rely primarily on their athleticism for success? They might have slightly different strengths and weaknesses, but I think they're definitely similar wing players. They're both basically athletic, jack-of-all-trades type wings, who aren't really above average in any single skilled area.

For me, a significantly different type of wing player would be one with a specific area of above-average skill, be it defensively, 3pt shooting, or one who is more of a PF/SF tweener who relies on a post-up game.

Rudy Gay could even get lumped into the same description, although his size does allow him to post-up, providing him with a bit of a different look. He's also a better rebounder and defender than DeRozan or Ross, but still generally a simillar player. I think that's why so many posters feel that these players don't compliment each other enough, but feel Ross has the potential to mix with Gay better than DeRozan (an argument based on the assumption that Ross has the potential to develop into a better 3pt shooter and defender than DeRozan).

Comment

I meant in terms of development and IQ, that's all. Ross has the *athletic* ability to get to the rim, but he's a passive (hesitant, maybe?) slasher like Derozan was earlier on. It took DD a couple summers of working at it to become a real threat to get to the rim, to truly drill it into his head that he needs to catch the ball and make a beeline for the goal. I was just highlighting that Ross will need to do the same work if he wants to take the same leaps in his game.

Comment

swingman wrote: View Post
              That said, Portland has other solid players and a decent coach. A team left to Lillard/Batum is better than one left to Jose/DD
              I have this belief that Terry Stotts is what will let this team down, he just doesn't spell WINNING COACH to me.

Comment

Working...
              X