Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Casey pull the reins in on Derozan isolation's down the stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casey certainly could have been more creative on that last play, especially with the amount of time on the clock. DeMar shouldn't have been looking to draw a foul in that situation though with the game on the line, and could have looked to penetrate to set one of his teammates up knowing he had a really good defender on him. Ceez was on the money and the ball should have been in Lowry's hands. He's much more capable of making those decisions and was had an advantage over either of the PG's defending him.

Comment

You guys are right. The most disturbing thing is they're coming out of a timeout and had 10+ seconds, that's an eternity and so many options!

Comment

I think Demar gets rattled pretty easily and just doesn't have the right stuff to be an end-of-game clutch player. In the recent game against New Orleans, he launched an airball, and then his next three shots were airballs or nearly so as well. He's a good player, yes, but I'd say he is a bit sensitive (you can see this in his interviews; I mean sensitive in a "nice guy" sort of way) and thus his effectiveness can be reduced a lot by pressure, from the situation or from himself.

I think Casey should try to cultivate Ross as a closer. He seems to have nerves of steel, and probably a better handle than Demar - potentially at least, if not already. (I laughed out loud when I heard Demar had entered the skills contest.)

And, as most everyone said already, why not let Lowry take control? If I were Casey, in a similar situation, I'd have Lowry get the ball with Ross, Novak, Amir and Demar on the floor. Maybe Patterson instead of Novak unless we need a three. Then, I would have Ross as the main option most of the time, with Lowry allowed to go himself if a lane or shot opens, or call Amir out for a screen if he wants. Write the play for Demar as main option just some of the time. But Lowry's "quarterbacking" skills shouldn't be wasted. Demar has never, ever shown himself to be a good percentage converter in situations like this. He's probably wishing it wouldn't keep happening to him.

Maybe M.U. asked for it because he's shopping Demar? More likely just more of Casey's simplistic end-of-game thinking.

Comment

It's called player development fellas. Obviously Dd has more of certain future on this team than Lowry. By Casey putting him in these situations now it prepares him for the future. Casey has said numerous times that development is still one of the priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            It's called player development fellas. Obviously Dd has more of certain future on this team than Lowry. By Casey putting him in these situations now it prepares him for the future. Casey has said numerous times that development is still one of the priorities.

I have a hard time believing that Casey looks beyond 1 game at a time. I think he honestly believes that a Demar ISO was the best play to win last night.

Comment

Here's a fun stat:

In the last minute of a game where we trail by 3-point or less this season (12 times this has happened this season) Demar Derozan is.................................2 for 11!!!!!!
              He did go 3 for 4 from the line is such situations, but 0 for 2 from 3.

Kyle Lowry is 2 for 4, and 1 for 2 from 3.

Edit:
              Here's the page if you want to play around with the different situations to see how little Casey pays attention to these stats.
              http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerClu...rowsPerPage=25

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                I have a hard time believing that Casey looks beyond 1 game at a time. I think he honestly believes that a Demar ISO was the best play to win last night.
                He doesn't believe it now but, he believe by putting him these situation now will make him a better player. Which I agree.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

He doesn't believe it now but, he believe by putting him these situation now will make him a better player. Which I agree.

He's had a few years of being in this situation. When does experience lead to results?

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                    He's had a few years of being in this situation. When does experience lead to results?
                    I believe in his work ethic probably just like Casey does. It's only a matter of time. You have to understand no feels worse about that possession than DD. He'll get better. I give props to Casey for potential scarifying is job for putting DD in those situations. That's how you know his all about the players and not himself. Selfless. Love that man!

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

I believe in his work ethic probably just like Casey does. It's only a matter of time. You have to understand no feels worse about that possession than DD. He'll get better. I give props to Casey for potential scarifying is job for putting DD in those situations. That's how you know his all about the players and not himself. Selfless. Love that man!

I love results more.

Comment

I love results more.
                        What does Masai been preaching? Patience.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

What does Masai been preaching? Patience.

You can be patient with a square peg all you want but eventually you'll have to accept that it won't fit into a round hole.

Comment

You can be patient with a square peg all you want but eventually you'll have to accept that it won't fit into a round hole.
                            Just like DD was never going to be an All-Star right?

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think we've seen enough from Casey to know that this is just not true. This was his game plan when Gay was here too. He's not thinking "develop Demar" here...he honestly thinks its the best option (end game iso). There's honestly been more than enough evidence this season and earlier that this is just not a good position to put Demar in. I'm not even saying don't let him have the last shot...just don't put him in such a horrible position where you're hoping the refs bail you out. Demar's handles JUST aren't good enough (yet) for it (though, at least this time, no dribbling off his own foot).

Ball should have been Lowry's hands (something thats been echoed). No iso, movement. Have Ross and Demar running off screens; pick and pop with Patterson; pick and roll with Amir; park Novak in a corner for a drive and kick...there are so many options significantly better with the ball in Lowry's hands in these situations (and thats not including him taking a shot or driving if a lane opens).
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                                I think we've seen enough from Casey to know that this is just not true. This was his game plan when Gay was here too. He's not thinking "develop Demar" here...he honestly thinks its the best option (end game iso). There's honestly been more than enough evidence this season and earlier that this is just not a good position to put Demar in. I'm not even saying don't let him have the last shot...just don't put him in such a horrible position where you're hoping the refs bail you out. Demar's handles JUST aren't good enough (yet) for it (though, at least this time, no dribbling off his own foot).

Ball should have been Lowry's hands (something thats been echoed). No iso, movement. Have Ross and Demar running off screens; pick and pop with Patterson; pick and roll with Amir; park Novak in a corner for a drive and kick...there are so many options significantly better with the ball in Lowry's hands in these situations (and thats not including him taking a shot or driving if a lane opens).
                                Rudy Gay was proven big shot maker. He wants DD to develop into that. In the long run it will be best for the team.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X