No announcement yet.

Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more I think about this - and we've been down this road before with trades that happen but don't happen - the more I am for it. DeRozan's extension really killed any meaningful flexibility. I just hope DD and Bargnani are next to go.

Rather pay Gay than DD/AB.

Bottom line is deal is essentially ED + financial flexibility for Gay. Considering any team dumping meaningful contracts are going to want picks which Raps don't have, lets do it. It is not like free agency has been beneficial for Toronto and there is no free agent wing that Toronto could get this summer better than Gay.

Comment

• Only problem now is, We need a PF for the future. Il Crapo ain't gonna cut it, and Amir Johnson is nothing more than an energy big off the bench. I thought we really had somethin going with Eddy and Big V but it was never meant to be

Comment

• Pay attention to starting line ups tonight. Of eithe Calderon or Davis don't start. You know it's gone down.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Also, you overestimate free agency a bit, and underestimate trades (in context with this team). Assuming BC is still our gm, I'd much rather he has two massive expiring contracts to work with. And who knows, if we miss the playoffs this year and relinquish our pick to OKC, a trade next year of one of those guys + our draft pick might go a long way to getting a better player than Rudy Gay back in a trade. Or even be flipped at a later time for Gay, without giving up JV, Ed or Ross. Free agency is overrated(especially when BC's the GM). Much more likely to use it to round out a roster than build a core.
          You got me confused here. Shouldnt it be that im underestimating free agency because i dont think theres really anything for the Raptors there and overestimating trades because id much rather go the trade route than pin our hopes on waiting for two big contracts to get off the books?

Ok to play your game, say we get Gasol and Pierce and next year you value them as two expiring + a pick, how do you plan on selling a 37 year old with a 15mil contract, and a 33 year old with the 19mil contract to teams, when at current, we have a 32 year old with only a 10mil expiring contract and cant even find him any takers? If you do plan to trade them for say somebody better than Rudy Gay, and you said better, not potentially better, what team would be willing to release such a quality player? Specially now with teams very conscientious of the new CBA and making sure their payroll is in line, how easy do you think it would be to find a team who hasnt gone through the salary dump yet?

Comment

• Why are people undervaluing Rudy Gay?

Forget about his contract for a min. Rudy Gay is a heck of a player. He's not LBJ or KD. But imo he's just a step below those guys.

Gay is a guy that can take over games, can close games, when he's on he's on. Not a great 3pt shooter but is more than capable of hitting one if left open. If he gets hot watch out. He's a guy that can create shots for himself. Very athletic, good size for a SF.

HE'S EVERYTHING THE RAPS NEED. If they can get him without giving up JV or Ross then imo this is a STEAL.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Just got a score alert on my phone. The Deal is super close to being done

Comment

• And he's only 26 years old, even 5 months younger than Lowry (Raptors PG of the future (?))
                (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

• Not to be outdone by Woj, Berger chimes in!

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

However, Calderon's expiring contract would not compromise Grizzlies' pursuit of luxury-tax freedom. Two-team scenarios also in play.
                  Ken Berger Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Memphis prefers to do Rudy Gay deal with Jose Calderon going to third team. Several potential suitors making push for the veteran PG.
                  Looks like this is going down regardless of a 3rd team.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    Forget about his contract for a min. Rudy Gay is a heck of a player. He's not LBJ or KD. But imo he's just a step below those guys.

Gay is a guy that can take over games, can close games, when he's on he's on. Not a great 3pt shooter but is more than capable of hitting one if left open. If he gets hot watch out. He's a guy that can create shots for himself. Very athletic, good size for a SF.

HE'S EVERYTHING THE RAPS NEED. If they can get him without giving up JV or Ross then imo this is a STEAL.
                    Your first 2 paragraphs have been discussed to death - no offense.

But the last sentence is key. If you can get Gay for, essentially, just ED and taking on a large contract (because lets face it, any real flexibility was lost with DeRozan's extension) I think you do it.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Not to be outdone by Woj, Berger chimes in!

Looks like this is going down regardless of a 3rd team.
                      I think Berger's 2nd comment also speaks to the fact that there IS demand for Calderon, but likely that teams just aren't willing to part with much talent, considering Calderon's a 31 year-old, half-season rental with a $10M contract (big in terms of cap hit, not actual $$$).

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        Only problem now is, We need a PF for the future. Il Crapo ain't gonna cut it, and Amir Johnson is nothing more than an energy big off the bench. I thought we really had somethin going with Eddy and Big V but it was never meant to be
                        I disagree bro. One reason is, Amir Johnson has shown some really, really great improvement. A better mid-ranged shooter, improving his already great finishing ability, has become a better scorer in the low post (even creating with the dribble), really solid inside passer, and defense and fouling improve significantly. Only 26 years old, and likely to be here for a long time.

I love Amir Johnson more than Ed but.... WHY ED DAVIS. I <3 Ed! Calderon can re-sign with us
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          The more I think about this - and we've been down this road before with trades that happen but don't happen - the more I am for it. DeRozan's extension really killed any meaningful flexibility. I just hope DD and Bargnani are next to go.

Rather pay Gay than DD/AB.

Bottom line is deal is essentially ED + financial flexibility for Gay. Considering any team dumping meaningful contracts are going to want picks which Raps don't have, lets do it. It is not like free agency has been beneficial for Toronto and there is no free agent wing that Toronto could get this summer better than Gay.
                          This was my convo with Tim Chrisholm last night:

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

He's actually a very solid defender as well. Not great, but can 'guard his yard' as Amir would say it.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Several league officials tell Y! Sports that Memphis has a plan to route Jose Calderon to a third team for assets in Rudy Gay deal.

DING DONG! SHIT IS ON!

Comment

• matt52 wrote: View Post
                                adrian wojnarowski ‏@wojyahoonba

several league officials tell y! Sports that memphis has a plan to route jose calderon to a third team for assets in rudy gay deal.

Ding dong! Shit is on!
                                pleeeeeeeease don't cave colangelo! Ed and calderon no more..... Unless derozan is going!

Comment

Working...
                                X