Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lockout & the Raptors: Players approve CBA, Owners too! (1944)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    did you mean over the cap but under the tax? or under the cap but a trade that takes them into the cap?
    Crap! Yes. A team under the tax but over the cap.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...emo/index.html

Billy Hunter's 'sell' of the settlement to players.

Comment

• For the first time since the lockout began on July 1, NBA players are going to be welcomed back to their team facilities, said league spokesman Tim Frank. The league sent a memo to clubs Tuesday announcing the move, plus giving teams permission to begin speaking with agents at 9 a.m. Wednesday -- though deals cannot yet be offered, and no contracts can be signed before Dec. 9.

Teams may host "voluntary player workouts" and physicals. Training camps will not open until Dec. 9
        Source: NBA.com

This is the equivalent of the period between July 1st and July 9th each year. Get ready for rumour-ville!

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Source: NBA.com

This is the equivalent of the period between July 1st and July 9th each year. Get ready for rumour-ville!
          Also equivalent to the September-October period when the players can come in early and use the teams facilities and training staff to start ramping up their conditioning before the camps open. Glad to see it happening.

Puffer

Comment

• Bosh's TPE still in play?

ESPN is reporting that Toronto and Cleveland's Traded Player Exceptions from Bosh and Lebron will still be available:

Not finalized,but NBA execs expecting to get lost time back on trade exceptions that expired in lockout.Biggest is Cavs $14.5M (9 days left)
            Source: @WindhorstESPN

Brian will have even more flexibility during the free agency period - I just don't expect him to use it though.

Comment

• NBA, plsyers settle antitrust suit?

ZachLowe_SI Zach Lowe
              Multiple sources confirm NBA, players settled the players' antitrust suit last night, pending re-formation of the union. Post up soon.
              It would appear they are a few days ahead of schedule?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                ESPN is reporting that Toronto and Cleveland's Traded Player Exceptions from Bosh and Lebron will still be available:

Source: @WindhorstESPN

Brian will have even more flexibility during the free agency period - I just don't expect him to use it though.
                That's very interesting... I wonder if it would be possible to use the TPE to pick up an amnestied player. The reason I think it might be possible is that from what I've heard, amnestied players are essentially waived players, and under the last CBA, teams could use their TPE to pick up waived players according to the Coon CBA FAQ (you can't use it on free agents, of course). So the Raptors could hypothetically use their current cap space to sign a UFA, and then use the TPE to pick up an amnestied player... they could, for example, use all of their cap space on a wing, then use the TPE to get an amnestied center, or vice versa. Maybe a guy who's on a one year contract, so you've still got lots of flexibility next offseason... Chris Kaman for example, if he gets amnestied. (Yeah, not the defensive center we need, but a one-year stop-gap that won't hurt our chances of a high draft pick too much.) Even though his contract is about 12 million, you should be able to just make a bid of 9 or whatever is left on the Bosh TPE, and if you win the auction, that's your cap hit.

I'm not advocating that they do this (I like the idea of going with pretty much the guys they've got under contract and a couple bench warmers), but it's one direction they could go.

Comment

• Another formality done

The union representing N.B.A. players should be back in business by Friday morning, ensuring a timely completion of the league’s new labor deal and a Christmas Day opening.

At least 260 players needed to sign and return union cards by the close of business Thursday to keep the process on track. As of early Thursday afternoon, all indications were that the figure would be met. The cards are being collected and verified by the American Arbitration Association.

The process is fairly simple, because the National Basketball Players Association never really disappeared. It has been functioning for the last two weeks as a professional association, rather than a union, but with all of the same employees and contractual relationships.

Once the N.B.P.A. becomes a union again, the parties can return to the table and negotiate a number of so-called B-list items for the new labor deal. Ratification by the owners and players is expected late next week. The league is aiming to open training camps and free agency Dec. 9, with opening day set for Dec. 25.

Source: Beck, NYTimes.com

Comment

• Royce Young: Someone asked KD not to go join other stars and he responded, "I'm gonna be in Okc until they don't want me anymore! Don't worry about it." Twitter
                    With the Melo saga last year and the Howard/Paul saga unfolding this year, the above is very refreshing.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      With the Melo saga last year and the Howard/Paul saga unfolding this year, the above is very refreshing.
                      It's refreshing, but is it believable? After all, didn't Paul just say the other day that his heart is in New Orleans?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        It's refreshing, but is it believable? After all, didn't Paul just say the other day that his heart is in New Orleans?
                        considering KD is just one year (?) into a new extension on a team thats heading in a very exciting direction its not hard to believe him. Can't think of any players that have said otherwise at the same point in their career. (Melo, Lebron, Vince, Dwight). Right now everything in OKC is sunshine and butterflies with a KD.

Comment

• Players have 27 hours to vote starting Wednesday

Sam Amick: In letter from @TheNBPA head Billy Hunter obtained by SI.com, he tells players a 24-hour window to vote on CBA will begin Wed. at 1 pm EST Twitter
                          Sam Amick: Correction on timing: Voting open for "more than 24 hours," until 4 pm EST on Thursday. Twitter

Comment

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                            considering KD is just one year (?) into a new extension on a team thats heading in a very exciting direction its not hard to believe him. Can't think of any players that have said otherwise at the same point in their career. (Melo, Lebron, Vince, Dwight). Right now everything in OKC is sunshine and butterflies with a KD.
                            Deron Williams actually just came out and said theres a 90% chance he resigns with New Jersey.

I guess saying you're staying with the Brooklyn Nets is a little different than saying your staying in Oklahoma, but still. Good for him. Fans need that sorta thing.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Deron Williams actually just came out and said theres a 90% chance he resigns with New Jersey.

I guess saying you're staying with the Brooklyn Nets is a little different than saying your staying in Oklahoma, but still. Good for him. Fans need that sorta thing.
                              D-Will has been back pedaling a little on that statement, he says there is a good chance he re-signs with the Nets, but that the 90% number was just something he said without much thought.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• D. Will is full of crap. He doesn't want to get booed and this is his damage control. Here's your likely 10% Nets fans:

Report: Mavericks saving cap space to make run at Deron Williams http://dlvr.it/zFp31 #PBT #NBA
                                Source: Twitter @basketballtalk

Comment

Working...
                                X