No announcement yet.

Worst move in the last 5 years???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to make a big post about hindsight being 20/20 but Soft Euro made my point much more hilarious with the south park clip.

In short...the JO trade was good on paper...Shawn Marion good on paper and Hedo should have an excellent deal (he phoned in lame for the season)
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

The draft rights to Printezis were then acquired by the Toronto Raptors, in exchange for their second round draft pick in the 2008 NBA Draft (Spurs used that pick to draft Goran Dragić, and immediately traded Dragić to the Phoenix Suns to acquire the draft pick they used in 2009 to draft future NBA All-Rookie second team member DeJuan Blair).[8][9]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgios_Printezis

Comment

LMAO. thanks for the laughs Soft Euro!

It turns the scramble for the title of Captain Hindsight to amusing, and we all know we need a little of that these days.

Comment

Move 1: Not trading Bosh for enough. I was just thinking about that the other day. This team probably could have gotten enough pieces to be a playoff team by now. Shame.

Move 2: Bringing Hedo here. It had disaster written all over it.
          Last edited by Red and White; Mon Jan 23, 2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
            Move 1: Not trading Bosh. I was just thinking about that the other day. This team probably could have gotten enough pieces to be a playoff team by now. Shame.

Move 2: Bringing Hedo here. It had disaster written all over it.
            At the trade deadline we were the 4th (5th?) team in the East. If they traded Bosh people would have been outraged. BC can't tell the future and be able to know that Bosh would get hurt and the wheels would fall off.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              Dunno if this counts, but not dealing Bosh. Recently he said they weren't offered what they thought he was worth but I'm sure it was more than a late round pick and the trade exemption. Rockets were offering the shirt off Morey's back.

And don't give me that "he never said he was going" bullshit. We all knew.
              Moray, or anybody else, was offering nothing without assurances that Bosh would sign with them. Do you think Bosh was about to do that with anybody but Miami? Do you think Miami was about to show their hand about what was about to happen?

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                At the trade deadline we were the 4th (5th?) team in the East. If they traded Bosh people would have been outraged. BC can't tell the future and be able to know that Bosh would get hurt and the wheels would fall off.
                Sign and Trade was not an option in the offseason?

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                  Sign and Trade was not an option in the offseason?
                  We did sign and trade him...

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    We did sign and trade him...
                    oh dear my bad, had an error in my initial post
                    i wrote "not trading bosh" then edited it to say "not trading bosh fo" when i truly meant "not trading bosh for enough"

my mistake

Comment

Soft Euro, great clip.

Here was the popular and majority view of the Raptors in the summer of 2009:

Give Bryan Colangelo and the Toronto Raptors franchise some credit – after a miserably disappointing 2008-’09 season, they appear determined to shake up and improve their roster by any means necessary, even if it means potentially taking on huge free agent contracts and/or dealing Chris Bosh.

Of all the NBA teams in the free agent market, it seems like the Raptors are the most active. A scan of this morning’s news and rumors has them reportedly preparing a 5-year, $60 million free agent offer to Hedo Turkoglu – a full $10 million more than what the Portland Trail Blazers supposedly put together for the same number of years.

It appears that whichever team loses out on Turkoglu will then be in prime position to sign Trevor Ariza for something in the mid-$30-$40 million range. Obviously, Ariza isn’t quite Hedo, but if he can consistently provide the energy, defense, and scoring pop that he did for the Lakers in the playoffs, he would be a huge asset for either team.

The Raptors were also allegedly in the mix to sign Charlie Villanueva, but now that he’s been wrapped up by Detroit, Toronto is reportedly interested in trying to steal Linas Kleiza. Linas is one of the most underrated free agents in this year’s pool and would be perfect in Toronto. He can shoot, play D, and brings scrap and toughness to the table – qualities all desperately needed in Toronto. It’s doubtful that Denver will let Kleiza go, but if Toronto makes an offer Denver can’t match, there’s not much the Nuggets can do about it.

Finally, it’s being reported this morning that the Raps are considering making an $8-$10 million offer to restricted free agent David Lee. If they’re suddenly willing to pay that kind of money for another forward, you have to think that something may be on the horizon with Chris Bosh. A trade in the works? Or just no plans to re-sign him at the end of next season?

No matter how this plays out for Toronto, if you’re a Raptors fan, you have to be pleased that your squad is in it to win it and not just floating along like a lot of other teams, content to be mediocre.
                      Source: Dimemag.com - July 2nd, 2009

Obviously, Turk didn't work out but BC and the Raps were willing to be major players that summer. Kleiza was eventually signed in 2010 - obviously.

I highlight this because it is obvious many fans have selective memory. For those who have correctly called every BC move as a failure ahead of time, good on you and why aren't you working for a NBA front office? Preferably Toronto.

Comment

The Jermaine O'Neal trade wouldn't have been that bad had Colangelo not given up on it so early and dealed him away with another 1st rounder. The idea of bringing in Jermaine was so that he could serve as a strong center in the middle in a hope to appease Bosh, who was leading everyone to believe he wanted to stay in Toronto but wanted continuous proof that the team was trying to build a strong supporting cast around him. Further more when Jermaine got here he only had two years left on his deal and it was going to expire in a window that would give the Raptors some nice cap space to resign Bosh and add some pieces. Worst case scenario was they hold him for the rest of the season and deal his massive expiring contract the following season. They chose not to do that though. Instead he went for a player with an expiring contract right away because Jermaine and Chris weren't jiving and the clock was ticking on convincing Bosh to re-sign. He took two gambles with 1st rounders to try and give Bosh the pieces he needed to win right away. Neither was enough but he at least got one of the 1st rounders back when Bosh bailed on the team. In any part of life when you're backed into a corner you feel forced to make something happen out of desperation. I feel that was the case here. It wouldn't have been a wild delusion for Colangelo to feel his future in Toronto was tied to Bosh staying and making it work with Bosh. Being backed into a corner he tried to make something happen, sacrificing some of the future for the now and it failed. Lucky for him he was given another chance. Since Bosh left the man has been acting with the future in mind. There seems to be a steay plan now and they're following it. Since Bosh left I can't think of any bad moves he's made. I mean look at how he dumped off Hedont. That was a good move. Ed Davis was a good pick. Amir Johnson was a good trade. Bayless was a good trade. JV was a good pick. Casey was a strong signing. James Johnson was a good trade. He waited on Bargnani and he's seeming like a good pick after all when you consider what most of that top ten is doing these days. Colangelo has been doing well lately and I feel it's because the pressure is off him. He's free, for now, to stick to a plan.

One more thing. Anyone saying the Charlie V for TJ Ford needs to hop in a time machine and go back to 2006/2007 because their memories are foggy. At the end of TJ's first season in Toronto there wasn't anybody who was against that trade. It was not until he got hurt that people started to turn on him. Most liked the trade back then. How does that trade look now? Still not that bad considering all the bad luck TJ had. Charlie V is a disappointing player. TJ had heart and soul. He was a better leader than anything this team has today, no one is even close. He put it all on the line every game for the Raptors until Al Horford clobbered him brutally to the floor. TJ Ford for Charlie V was a good trade for the Raptors. Bad luck killed it, not judgement.

Comment

You have to feel for BC. Nobody wants to come here except for washed-up overpaid fools. The only established players we can hope to sign are Euros. The idea is to draft some talented kids and retain them. They may grow up to like the place and to paying high taxes.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                            ...paying high taxes.
                            You have to stop promoting that myth.

http://slumbuddy.wordpress.com/2011/...ates-for-2010/

Maximum federal income tax rate in Canada: 29%
                            Maximum federal income tax rate in US (single): 35% going up to 39.6%

Maximum capital gains rate in Canada: 14.5% (half of capital gains is taxable as regular income, the other half is tax free)
                            Maximum long term capital gains rate in US: 15% going up to 20%
                            Maximum short term capital gains rate in US: same as income

Maximum estate tax in Canada: 0%
                            Maximum estate tax in US: 35% perhaps going back up to 50%

Maximum corporate federal tax rate for Canadian small businesses: 11%
                            Maximum corporate federal tax rate in Canada for other businesses: 18% going down to 15%
                            Maximum corporate federal tax rate in US: 39%

Maximum Canada Pension Plan contribution per employee (combined): 9.9% with a cap of $4,326.30 (i.e. no contribution made on income above $47,200 with a basic exemption of $3,500)
                            Maximum FICA contribution per employee (combined): 12.4% with a cap of $13,243.20 (i.e. no contribution made on income above $106,800)

Maximum Medicare tax per employee (combined): 2.9% going up to 3.8%
                            There is no equivalent to the Medicare tax in Canada since health care is funded from the general tax pool

Maximum unemployment insurance in Canada per employee (combined): 4.152% with a cap of $1,793.66
                            Maximum unemployment insurance in Canada for self-employed: 0%
                            Unemployment insurance in the US is a mix of state and federal programs.
                            Last edited by Puffer; Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:14 AM. Reason: Added link

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
                              1)O'Neal and the 41st pick in the draft to the Raptors for Hibbert, T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and Maceo Baston.
                              Hands down that was the stupidest no brainer move ever - a hard working legit 7 footer for JO on the down side of his career...? wtf

Best deal BC passed on was with Houston and would have not made the JO trade needed would have landed Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Trevor Ariza and Luis Scola for bosh according to ESPN and countless other outlets where reporting this exact same trade or a small variation therin.

They could have had Brookes Landry Scola (dumped ariza) and then kept Hibbert.

Already discussed here
                              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

And where would they be right now? Getting knocked out in the first round probably. This current path they're on seems like it has a lot more upside to me. I think that maybe things worked out for the best, you just can't see the payoff just yet. Give it a few more years.

Comment

Working...
                                X