Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Utah can't S&T AK47 (just like Toronto can't S&T Weems), per rule in new CBA. Also, I believe Utah used the Okur TPE to acquire Mo Williams in the 4-team Odom trade.
    I can see a scenario where we could sign AK 47 outright (for the 10 mil discussed), but it would cost us Calderon our Bird rights (Bayless) and our exemptions

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
      I can see a scenario where we could sign AK 47 outright (for the 10 mil discussed), but it would cost us Calderon our Bird rights (Bayless) and our exemptions
      For sure. From a payroll flexibility standpoint, the ideal for BC would be to either dump Calderon on a team with cap space (or a TPE) without taking any salary back, or including him in a S&T deal for Nash. Assuming Nash's deal is $10-12M per season, Toronto would still have $10-12M cap space (excluding all cap holds).

The only downside I see to that approach, would be the fact that Toronto would lose both their TPE & MLE (and Vet Exception) if they sign a free agent outright to get their total team payroll up to salary cap. I would rather target a SF via trade (or S&T), for that reason, as opposed to signing one (ie: AK47) outright.

Comment

• Leandro Barbosa: "I'm really happy because seven teams have already made a proposal for me. I'm relaxed as my market is doing good. There is a lot of free agents in the same situation and this is normal in the NBA. Now I just have to control my anxiety and look forward to a good contract." Basketeria
        Rumors tagsFree Agency, Leandrinho Barbosa | share Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors

Leandro Barbosa: "I'd ratter not talk about proposals. I still have the option to re-sign with the Indiana Pacers. I am carefully analyzing that. I don't like to change from here to there. I came in the middle of the season, it was hard, but seems that they liked me there." Basketeria
        Rumors tagsIndiana Pacers, Free Agency, Leandrinho Barbosa | share Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors

Leandro Barbosa: "When I'm on the court, I focus entirely on the work I'm doing with the Brazilian Team. The problem is when I'm resting at the hotel. I end up thinking about my future. I get really anxious." Basketeria
        Rumors tagsFree Agency, Leandrinho Barbosa | share Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors

Comment

• Pass on Nash, sign Dragic!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-nba-free-agency-diary

07/03/2012 11:35EST Bill Ingram:

Houston’s meeting with point guard Goran Dragic didn’t go so well, with the Rockets essentially telling his camp, “Good luck with that,” regarding their number. Sources close to the situation tell HOOPSWORLD Dragic’s camp was asking for $10 million in the first year of a multi-year contract, and that’s not a number Houston is willing to match. It’s not out of the question that Dragic and the Rockets could revisit the situation, but only if Dragic finds that teams like Dallas, Toronto, Portland and others who have shown interest aren’t willing to pony up the dough.

Younger, cheaper and, although the sample size is small with only a limited peek at him as a starter, looks to be pretty damn good.

I'm a Steve Nash fan but I can't come to terms with committing 3 years and $36M to the end of his career rather than to a SF upgrade. Even if I combine his possible contribution as a mentor for Bayless and Uzoh I can't see how this move fits the rebuild model of the Raptors, which is going well in my opinion.

Comment

• Ive been saying this since last season. I really see no reason to get Nash over Dragic other than selling seats.

Comment

• you guys forgot "wins" and "culture change"
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• "playoffs"
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I'd much rather give Nash $10-12M per season than give equal money to Dragic. At least Nash is proven and would be a marketing dream in Toronto. I'd be fearful of a huge letdown by Dragic, coming after his huge payday. I like Dragic, but I don't "$10M like" Dragic!

If Calderon is traded away or amnestied, it's quite easy for BC to both acquire Nash AND upgrade the SF position. It's not as though getting Nash would prevent the other move from happening. Nash would provide veteran leadership for this young Raptors team, which is lacking now.

Comment

• if he was going to cost 5-7 maybe there be some logic. but i dont see it at 10mill.. thats quite the downgrade in talent IMO for 2mill less then we offored nash... i just dont see it. too rich for me

Comment

• DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                      if he was going to cost 5-7 maybe there be some logic. but i dont see it at 10mill.. thats quite the downgrade in talent IMO for 2mill less then we offored nash... i just dont see it. too rich for me
                      I'd rather keep Calderon and re-sign him for $5Mish than give Dragic $10M+!

Comment

• For those wanting Dragic.. are you seeing him as the PG of the future.. the guy that we can eventually win a championship with? Or do you just see a guy running the ship for a few years until we find that guy?

Nash is a perennial all-star, a two time MVP, and possibly future HOFer. He has not regressed even at his age. He like Chris Paul (and possibly Rondo) make guys around him better. No other PG really does that. Nash is a team-first guy and is a true leader that we haven't had for years (possibly since Oak was here). Remember, Nash is the guy that lead a mediocre Phoenix team to the conference finals in 2010 before losing out to the Lakers. They nearly made the playoffs in the West last year when they have essentially nobody except Nash. Nash is not just good, he's one of the best.

If the goal is to continue to tank then yes, Nash is a bad move - but as this past year showed us - we suck hard at tanking. Plus next years draft is supposed to be really bad.

If the goal is to get a young PG that can become an all-star then IMO Dragic is not the guy. He's good but I'd rank him as maybe above average. I don't see him ever being an all-star. He can carry a team, but you won't get anything spectacular out of him. Plus he'd be commanding about $10M a year as well. I'd rather give that money to Nash. It's kind of ironic too, because I don't think Dragic would be commanding $10M a year if it wasn't for Nash.

My opinions have nothing to do with Nash selling seats. I don't give a rats ass if Toronto sells out its games. I want the Raps to become champions, and even though I don't see it happening in the next 3 years - I do see a winning culture shift with Nash on board - and that's the direction I want this team to head towards.

Comment

• "leadership"
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I'd rather keep Calderon and re-sign him for $5Mish than give Dragic $10M+!
                            me too..

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Nash is a team-first guy and is a true leader that we haven't had for years (possibly since Oak was here).
                              Right, because Calderon is me-first and lacks leadership skills. /s

Don't let this Nash thing get to your head.
                              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                "leadership"
                                Yes he is a leader but I would rather him leading by example in at least not leaving his entire Country in limbo while he go and check out the Heat. I know they won a championship but I mean, he is in his final stretch of a great career. To finish in Canada, he will make not just more money than anywhere else, he will have the whole of Canada in his back pocket for choosing to come back to Canada than chasing a ring. A ring is the goal for many but wasn't just getting to the NBA and making a pile of money was the reason for getting in the NBA? I might be wrong of course being just a hard working individual. )

Comment

Working...
                                X