Everything Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    Gay has had a tremendously positive impact on Demars game, whether by way of drawing attention, leading by example or starting a competition, or all three I don't know and don't care. Demar has picked up his game since he got his Gay companion. Lovin' it.
    lol the jokes of using Rudy's name will never die.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Hit 3 of 6 three points
      8 rebounds
      3 steals
      took a lot of attention off DeMar
      WIN

I have no problem with him shooting 10/25 - especially when 3 of those shots were fouls
      That is a logic fail IMO. He doesn't have to take 10-15 terrible shots to do those things. If he's going to take pressure off Demar, it'd be better if they use him as a fake (especially when he's colder than ice) rather than attempt 25 shots (alot of which were bad).

I'd rather someone else (like Bargs, Lucas, Amir or Ross) take those shots and he does the other stuff like rebounding and playing def when he's cold.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
        That is a logic fail IMO. He doesn't have to take 10-15 terrible shots to do those things. If he's going to take pressure off Demar, it'd be better if they use him as a fake (especially when he's colder than ice) rather than attempt 25 shots (alot of which were bad).

I'd rather someone else (like Bargs, Lucas, Amir or Ross) take those shots and he does the other stuff like rebounding and playing def when he's cold.
        I don't think he took very many bad shots mind you. He took a lot of shots, but some were missed layups (yes, be better!), and some were some wide open threes or jumpers. He misses so many easy shots. I don't think he takes very many bad shots, if anything, those 'bad' shots are the shots he usually makes...

EDIT* SHOTS, SHOTS, SHOTS, SHOTS, SHOTS, SHOTS.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• His PER also seems to be risen with every game
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• http://raptorsongame.blogspot.ca/

How about we look at his individual stats in comparison from Memphis, to Toronto.

Memphis: 17.2 points, 5.9 rebounds, 1.3 steals, 2.6 assists, on 78% free throw shooting, 41% from the field, and 31% from 3.
            Toronto in 8 games: 20.7 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2.7 steals, 2.7 assists on 86% free throw shooting, 38% from the field, and 19% from 3.

I do admit, his 3-point shooting has been quite atrocious, and his field goal percentage has gone down, but his overall production has increased, the minutes have increased since arriving in Toronto at 38 minutes (which is a good thing, because he adds a certain element not measured by stats - Leadership), and a major attribute that this team was extremely desperate for, and that was shot creation, and a late game option.
            Rudy Gay hit 2 game-winners in 8 games as a Toronto Raptor, and even when he's having a sub-par performance shooting wise, or having foul trouble, he is able to impact the game on different ways, such as guarding the best player on the opposition, rebounding, attracting defense. This guy has truly made an impact.
            His qualities have been a plus for this team, more specifically, his leadership. It feels quite good as a fan, to see the team fall behind to your best player, and not your best player to fall behind a role player who acts as the leader. Those qualities of leadership is what Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Chris Bosh, and Andrea Bargnani have failed to do in the past in their Raptor uniforms.
            Just my two cents, or three cents, or four cents or whatever from a piece I wrote up on my blog.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post

He didn't take 10-15 terrible shots.

Now there were certainly ~5 ill advised shots which I can live with, then there were ~3 shots he was fouled on, then there were another ~3 shots that he just missed that he should have made. Finally, you're not always going to make every shot.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                He didn't take 10-15 terrible shots.

Now there were certainly ~5 ill advised shots which I can live with, then there were ~3 shots he was fouled on, then there were another ~3 shots that he just missed that he should have made. Finally, you're not always going to make every shot.
                When a player gets fouled during a shot attempt is that considered a field goal attempt? I actually always thought that wasn't the case.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  When a player gets fouled during a shot attempt is that considered a field goal attempt? I actually always thought that wasn't the case.
                  No, it isn't an attempt unless he makes it. Matt is just pointing out that some of Gay's misses were on obvious fouls that were not called.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    No, it isn't an attempt unless he makes it. Matt is just pointing out that some of Gay's misses were on obvious fouls that were not called.
                    Yes. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

• Not every player is Kareem Abdul Jabaar avg 55.6% or Larry Bird avg 50% on fga guys come on! lol

Comment

• Once you get past the first paragraph, not a bad article.

The NBA TV is harder to find for Rudy Gay since he came to Toronto, not to mention the SportsCenter highlights that the Baltimore native has been such a big part of since being shipped to Canada.

There's the cold, the customs, and all the adjustments of international living that stars who came before him – from Tracy McGrady to Vince Carter and Chris Bosh – learned to live with. But Gay, who was traded from Memphis on Jan. 30 and has led the Raptors to a 6-2 record, five wins in a row, since his arrival, is fitting in just fine.

"I see this (Raptors team) as another Memphis," Gay, who has hit two game-winning shots and is averaging 21.3 points per game since coming to Canada, told USA TODAY Sports by phone in a lengthy interview on Saturday. "A lot of the pieces are there."
                        No one has ever heard of the internet? I understand it allows you to watch highlights on ESPN.com and NBA.com. Also, the Raps have been highlight staples in the US since the trade. This doesn't anger me so much as make me roll my eyes.

But when Gay shared his frustrations by telling a Toronto sports radio station that there was "nothing" he would miss about Memphis, he knew he'd gone too far.

"Obviously that was just out of a little bit of anger," Gay said. "There were a lot of people in Memphis and a lot of relationships I left in Memphis that I'll always have. I'm so thankful for the city doing what they've done for me up until now."

What the Grizzlies did and why, meanwhile, still doesn't sit well with him.
                        The unexpected change in scenery had everything to do with Bryan Colangelo's determination to do this deal, as the Toronto general manager relentlessly pursued the player he had coveted for so long.

When the Raptors took Andrea Bargnani first overall in the 2006 draft, Colangelo had Gay ranked second on his list. When word started to spread that Gay may want out of Memphis, Colangelo called on several occasions in "the last year and a half" to see if he could help with that cause. Teams like Phoenix, New Orleans, Brooklyn, and Golden State showed varying levels of interest in landing Gay, but none were as motivated as the Raptors.

Colangelo, who is in the last year of his contract, did the trade without knowing whether Gay would re-sign if he opts out in the summer. He had requested to speak with Gay beforehand as a way of assessing whether he would be unhappy with the move, but the request was declined by the Grizzlies.

"It was a calculated risk," Colangelo said.

Said Gay: "BC, he had a plan for me before I even got here. It's been good to see the plan go off like he expected … He's a great basketball mind. Everybody knows that. And he's doing a good job trying to form this team to be a competitor in the East."

In Colangelo's mind, the idea of waiting to get Gay in the summer wasn't an option. Not only was he unsure if he'd be around to revisit this possibility, but one of the pieces that made the trade work, point guard Jose Calderon, was set to be a free agent. Calderon netted the Grizzlies Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye in the deal from Detroit, while Colangelo – who was well aware that Calderon wasn't expected to re-sign as a free agent – ultimately viewed third-year forward Ed Davis and a second-round pick that went to Memphis as his only losses.
                        THE FUTURE

As for the prospect of Gay staying in Toronto for the long-term, he laughed when pressed for an answer, "I've played six games. I don't know about (re-signing), but I love the organization. I possibly could be here for the rest of my career, but who knows."

Colangelo has a realist's view of the situation.

"It's been very clear that (Gay and his representatives) want to obviously see how this plays out, to be in a situation that's competitive," Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports. "He has now tasted a winning environment with the team they'd assembled in Memphis, and he wants to find that again. I'm hopeful to put us in a position where we can offer just that to Rudy and others that we are putting our stamp on this franchise.

"He clearly is emerging as our No. 1 option right now, and to be a No. 1 option in a competitive situation is pretty appealing … It's a chance to establish a marketing identity and presence in two markets. You really have the best of both worlds. You can market yourself to the Canadian marketplace as a completely separate entity and the American marketplace as a separate entity."

But it's also a proposal that has been turned down before. Bosh left for Miami in the infamous summer of 2010 to join LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, and Canadian point guard Steve Nash opted to sign with the Lakers last summer rather than return to his native land, in large part, because his children were in nearby Phoenix.

"This is not a specific problem to Toronto," Colangelo said. "It's league-wide now, other than the top three markets – LA, Chicago and New York – and the five teams there. Then the Miamis, Dallas, and maybe a Phoenix for climate (reasons). This is a situation that quite a few teams, maybe 25 teams, are dealing with year in and year out."

As for whether Toronto's cold climate could deter Gay from staying, he reiterated what Colangelo had pointed out at his new player's introductory press conference: "It's cold, but I went to Connecticut and I'm from Maryland, so it's not far from that."
                        Nice to see some common sense on the weather.

The above is another reason why the Raps should do the Boozer deal. Gay is coming from a situation where ownership was making financial moves and not basketball moves. Toronto is a huge market, extremely profitable, and owned by corporations with very deep pockets. Getting Boozer makes Toronto very competitive now and provides flexibility to maintain competitiveness with his huge expiring contract in 2 seasons when repeater tax is kicking in.

The Raptors, who got off to a horrific 4-19 start but are now just six games out of playoff position, have quickly become one of the most compelling teams around.

The Raptors' DeMar DeRozan, who signed a four-year, $40 million extension on Oct. 31 and who Gay called the best shooting guard he had played with in his seven-year career, has benefited from Gay's presence and is playing better than ever. Kyle Lowry is a longtime friend and the kind of up-tempo point guard that Gay enjoys. The anger and surprise have subsided, it seems, and Gay's new life north of the border is just fine indeed.

"I'm excited about this team – excited about the possibilities of how good we can be," he said. "It was kind of a mixture of feelings when it first happened, getting traded and not knowing anything and one day thinking you're competing for a championship and the next day you're getting shipped off somewhere. It was a mixture of feelings…and now I've just got to embrace where I'm at. I'm happy I'm a Raptor right now… I want to see this team be a good team, to be a playoff team again."
                        Source
                        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Feb 20, 2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Good read. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                            Not every player is Kareem Abdul Jabaar avg 55.6% or Larry Bird avg 50% on fga guys come on! lol
                            +1.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              Not every player is Kareem Abdul Jabaar avg 55.6% or Larry Bird avg 50% on fga guys come on! lol
                              There is a big different between that and shooting under 35% majority of the games.

Rudy Gay 21.1 PT .383 of 20.9 FG .865 of 4.6 FT .243 of 4.6 3P 6.5/1.9 RB 2.5 AS 0.8 BL 2.8 ST 2.1 TO 3.3 PF 38.0 MN 8/7 GS (last 8 games)

38% FG 24% from 3. There is no way you can defend him taking 21 shots a game at that average.
                              Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• no one saying shit cause rudy gotten the job done when it counted...hopfully we see his % get better but i cant complain about the results since hes been here. i cant say ive liked Lowry's attitude lately though..seems to loose his cool quite a bit more since Jose's been gone, more PT=More Mistakes for lowry.. i dont see him being a Starter on this team long term
                                Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X