Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Commentator/Journalist Do You Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Commentator/Journalist Do You Respect?

I was going over some 2011 draft Youtube videos and was reminded of how much I respect David Aldridge. On the other hand...Kenny Smith. I got to wondering who RR members respected most. Anybody have any names they want to throw out there. I'm not looking for the best in any objective sense, just who do you like?

I will admit right up front, I have enjoyed Doug Smiths blog/commentary over the years.

I'm a big fan of Jeff Van Gundy. Yah he can be a bit annoying sometimes but he isn't afraid to call it like it is. Doug Smith seems to be reliable. He actually is close to the Raptors organization so the information that he gets is usually spot on.

As for the other side of it. I do enjoy Barkley and friends for entertainment value, but I take what they say with a grain of salt. It's hard as a Raptor fan because you really don't get mentioned in the US media.

Comment

Jeff Van Gundy.
      http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

I like Aldridge as well and Brent Barry who seem to have an unvarnished perspective on players or nba events. Gus Johnson as a in game commentator is good. Doug Smith...hmmm. I'll take Grange over him.

Comment

Doug Smith bothers me. Kyler from hoopsworld drives me nuts.

Wolstat from the Sun of all places and Chisholm are two I respect and seem to generally know what they're talking about.

As far as tv goes Chris Webber has really surprised me. He's excellent. Barkley used to be way better but he's still the best of the bunch. Hubie Brown is usually pretty good, I find.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

For TV....

My Top 3:
            JVG
            Hubie Brown
            Mike Fratello

My Bottom 3:
            Shaq (hilarious, but not a great analyst)
            Reggie Miller (annoying voice, some stupid comments)
            Leo Rautins (no explanation needed)

Comment

DA is pretty awesome. Kenny smith is a douche half the time. Brent Barry is a smart dude, Dennis scott is good, and Steve smith too.

Comment

Throw in my fav Jack Armstrong, HELLOOOOOOOO!!!!

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  Throw in my fav Jack Armstrong, HELLOOOOOOOO!!!!
                  I respect Jack for his general basketball knowledge, but he's a terrible commentator. All 3 of the Raptors TV broadcasters are awful - Jack, Leo and Devlin. I wish we could to a rebuild in the broadcast booth.

Comment

no jack is good. I really don't mind our commentators they are decent. Better than 3 quarters of the leagues

Comment

My 2 cents ... Matt and Jack are BRUTAL.

David Aldridge is Cream of the Crop.

Steve Aschburner is fantastic as well (former President of Professionsal Basketball Writers Association.)

Zach Lowe over at SI.com is Top Notch as well.

And of course, last but not Least Doug Smith, (current President of the Professional Basketball Writers Association)

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        no jack is good. I really don't mind our commentators they are decent. Better than 3 quarters of the leagues
                        I don't watch enough non-Raptors games to comment on the comparison, but I disagree that our announcers are good. Most of the time I wind up turning down the volume to not have to hear them, or I spend my time yelling at the tv to actually comment on the game going on. All the singing, talk of olympic team, talk of cell phones, yatta yatta yatta, I could care less about. I don't want to hear about their private lives or rambling on about whatever non-game crap they have an axe to grind about. Call the game, educate about the game for new/young fans, be mostly unbiased with just an ever so slight hint of homerism and stay on topic... that's what I'd like new announcers to be like.

Comment

JVG is my favourite along with Eric Smith. I think he knows his ball inside and out.
                          Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

I like when Jack gets flabbergasted and forgets to filter himself
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the tv commentators as well. I like turning the volume down and then turning on the fan590 and listening to Smith/Jones instead. Those guys are decent.. the Raps could do much better though.

As for journalists - my faves are Woj from Yahoo.com and Lowe from SI.com. For a fun read I like Simmons from grantland.com. Locally, my fave is probably Chisholm. I do read Doug Smith's blog on a regular basis though.

Comment

Working...
                              X