A Question About Media Use In Blogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question About Media Use In Blogs

Hello RR, was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me. I've been looking to start a Raptors blog that focuses more on entertainment than analysis (I leave that to the good people here at RR, not much room for more of that in the blogosphere), but I'm having trouble finding out exactly what the rules are for media use. I've noticed that RR uses photos frequently, including screen captures that are edited with text; do you need some kind of permission to use these, or does the NBA allow for certain images to be used? What about video? I've been thrilled to see that you can easily find full raptors games available and I want to put that to good use, but I'm also afraid of facing some kind of legal action for doing so. So if anyone knows the rules or could point me to a site that explains them, I would VERY much appreciate it.

Hi Lark,

Arsenalist, Altraps or Raps Fan will probably be your best bet to answer your questions. They don't frequent the forums often, but hopefully one of them will make it over here to help answer your questions.

Comment

That's exactly what I was hoping. Is there a better way I can contact them directly? Trying to get an answer from the league directly has been a frustrating dead-end.

Comment

You can always try emailing them: http://raptorsrepublic.com/front-office/

Comment

Cheers!

Comment

The NBA, or anyone can at any time ask you to "cease and desist" when it comes to using images, video etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist

It's rare because at the end of the day by using these images we're promoting the NBA and its product, not deriding it. Unless you're doing some pretty insane shit I think you'll be fine. There are sites like clipperblog.com, thetwomangame.com, hornets247.com which take NBA video and edit it at free will.

As long as you're reasonable with the content you'll be fine. Just start giving credit and links back to where you got the stuff (something we at RR should be better at).

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
              Hi Lark,

Arsenalist, Altraps or Raps Fan will probably be your best bet to answer your questions. They don't frequent the forums often, but hopefully one of them will make it over here to help answer your questions.
              And I frequent the forums often.

Comment

Working...
              X