Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    What it comes down to for me is, why get someone on payday when you may be able to draft Beal - or another SG with NBA ready game, and pay them much less for the next 4 years ... use your FA money elsewhere, or save some of it.
    Agreed. In this example, I'd much rather see us draft Beal than spend on Gordon.

Comment

I tend to think that for the Raptors the draft starts to look less appealing after the top 6. I suppose it might stretch to 7 if a team really likes Sullinger (over Barnes). Beyond that, you are left with enigmas (like PJ3) and players that could probably end up anywhere from 7-14. So, I could see the Raptors trading down from #7, if they end up there. But remember, unless they finish with the #6 or lower seed in the final standings, there less than 10% chance that they will select at #7 or lower.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
        The only way I trade the pick is if the incoming package includes another lottery pick in this year's draft.

For example: If we fall in the 5-9 range and the players we covet (Davis, MKG, Beal, Barnes) are off the board, maybe we either trade up to get them with our early 2nd rounder or Ed Davis included, or trade down a few spots to the range of a few other interesting pieces in the later lottery range (Lillard, Marshall, Rivers) and pick-up another asset in the process.
        Yes, i forgot to mention this. It wont be straight up for a superstar, but including either a lower pick, or a young player.

Comment

Personally, I would only trade the pick if that pick wasn't Anthony Davis. Davis has (i would say) superstar potential, there's no way you give up something like that ever.

Comment

Raps can't get Davis, Beal, or MKG - trade the pick (and possibly ED) to Philly for Holiday and 76ers pick? Would you?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Raps can't get Davis, Beal, or MKG - trade the pick (and possibly ED) to Philly for Holiday and 76ers pick? Would you?
              I get your point, so it's a big yes, any GM would trade their pick in the right deal but I don't believe the 76ers would trade Holiday.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                I get your point, so it's a big yes, any GM would trade their pick in the right deal but I don't believe the 76ers would trade Holiday.
                I am inclined to agree, however, where there is smoke, there is fire.

Holiday has regressed this year.
                Evans, Holiday, and AI are all ball dominant players.
                76ers have need at PF/C spots.
                GM talks about PG playing SG.
                Coach talks about SG playing PG.

I wouldn't bet my life on this proposal but I do think it is plausible.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  At what point do you trade the pick?
                  At no point. History shows that Colangelo's track record is very good when using the pick and really poor when trading the pick. If you respect trends then you don't support trading the pick.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    At no point. History shows that Colangelo's track record is very good when using the pick and really poor when trading the pick. If you respect trends then you don't support trading the pick.
                    A little grain of salt for the history:

Many of those trades were made early in his career in Phoenix.
                    Many more of those trades were made towards the end of his career in Phoenix due to cost cutting by owner.
                    He has only traded 1 first round pick in Toronto and that was going for quick fixes with Bosh as a centre piece.

What do you think about my fixation for April 4th, 2012?
                    Raps pick (cannot get AD, MKG, or BB) and ED for Jrue Holiday and 76ers pick - what would you say?

Comment

A little grain of salt for the history:

Many of those trades were made early in his career in Phoenix.
                      Many more of those trades were made towards the end of his career in Phoenix due to cost cutting by owner.
                      He has only traded 1 first round pick in Toronto and that was going for quick fixes with Bosh as a centre piece.

What do you think about my fixation for April 4th, 2012?
                      Raps pick (cannot get AD, MKG, or BB) and ED for Jrue Holiday and 76ers pick - what would you say?
                      I would say, no, let's look at Barnes, Lamb and Rivers to name a few. The Raptors should be able to get a really promising PG prospect for Ed without sacraficing great draft position. This is a deep draft.

Comment

I would say, no, let's look at Barnes, Lamb and Rivers to name a few. The Raptors should be able to get a really promising PG prospect for Ed without sacraficing great draft position. This is a deep draft.
                        Any PG prospects come to mind?

Comment

No but that's not something that needs to be addressed right now. Just like on the court, you need to make the best of what comes your way. Forcing the issue leads to mistakes and this is a critical point in the game.

Comment

Do you guys think that Derrick Williams is worth the pick if the wolves are willing to trade him. He is not getting consistent playing time and the Wolves may want to fill other positional needs. It's more likely that they trade Beasley but I can't help but wonder. This would fill the SF position nicely. Personally, I would only consider this trade if the pick was lower than 5.

Comment

No, I don't think this would be a good idea, mostly because I am not a big fan of Holiday I think that either Drummond or Robinson, and maybe even Barnes, might have more value than Holiday and the Sixers pick. I think that the Raptors could consider trading down if they miss on the top six. Otherwise, I think they should probably take the BPA out of Davis, MKG, Beal, Drummond, Robinson and Barnes. I think that they could move Robinson later, if they want to shift things around.

Comment

I tend to agree that it might be a better idea to trade Davis for a lower first rounder. A PG (Marshall, Wroten or Lillard), or perhaps a 2 or 3 might not be a bad idea, to balance the roster.

Comment

Working...
                                X