Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild or Re-tool? (thread merge in post #358)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I'm starting to doubt Terrence Ross' 3 point shooting ability. Hopefully he shoots better in summer league. His never been an accurate shooter but, a volume one. His like DD but with 3s.
    He shot 35% & 37% in college. I think it's realistic to expect those numbers as he progresses further along his development. He needs to work on squaring his shoulders on the catch & getting his shot up faster as well.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Based on last year you are correct. But last year Afflalo was asked to do more than he should have.

He shot 30% from deep after shooting 40% for the previous 4 seasons.
      You're right, he shot 40% (or close to it) for the past 4 seasons. Those are pretty good %'s from long range. I take my statement back about Afflalo, not so much for Iguodala.
      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
        He shot 35% & 37% in college. I think it's realistic to expect those numbers as he progresses further along his development. He needs to work on squaring his shoulders on the catch & getting his shot up faster as well.
        35% and 37% doesn't really scream out accurate. I would say his more of streaky shooter than an actually a 3 point shooter.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• ross shot 33% this year didnt he? thats decent for a rookie who got spotty minutes and had terrible college plays ran for him to get his looks.
          though i do agree with the streaky part because he will be a guy who can catch fire from 3.
          needs to get stronger tho

Comment

• Yeah, I agree about the streaky part -- but averages are averages at the end of the day. I think he misses a lot when he doesn't get his feet set (his balance is off). However, on set shots, he's pretty accurate. It's still early in his NBA career, so I can only assume improvement as he develops.

He really does need to bulk up big time. He looked every bit of a rookie last year.

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

35% and 37% doesn't really scream out accurate. I would say his more of streaky shooter than an actually a 3 point shooter.
              If you look at his shot chart there are some interesting things.

Left corner: 8/19 42.11%
              Left above break: 22/47 46.81%
              middle: 4/12 33.33%
              Right above break: 24/77 31.17%
              Right corner: 7/39 17.95%

http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...layerID=203082

Looking at the shot chart, I keep thinking about the plays where he runs off the screens baseline and curls out for a three point shot. **cringing** Essentially, Casey had him running the exact same college plays (someone else said college, I'd say high school but whatever) as DeRozan but Ross took 3's.

With his feet set, catch and shoot, I think Ross is extremely dangerous. He would greatly benefit from a punch and kick or north/south attack the basket style of play rather than the east/west style Casey seems to think is the "right" way.

Comment

• has anyone considered the idea of trying to go after monta ellis?
                not sure if it would work for sign and trade because he already declined milwaukees contract, but a monta for demar kind of deal would fill our needs and get jennings to stay with the bucks.
                monta would give us a second ball handler and could fill the backup pg duties as well

Comment

• d749 wrote: View Post
                  has anyone considered the idea of trying to go after monta ellis?
                  not sure if it would work for sign and trade because he already declined milwaukees contract, but a monta for demar kind of deal would fill our needs and get jennings to stay with the bucks.
                  monta would give us a second ball handler and could fill the backup pg duties as well
                  I like the transition Monta's made in his game...from the ball hog inefficient scorer in GS to the facilitator he's become in Milwaukee. If he continues to make further improvements as a facilitator then I'd gladly welcome him here. He's a stark opposite to DeMar, who can't do anything without the ball in his hands.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                    I like the transition Monta's made in his game...from the ball hog inefficient scorer in GS to the facilitator he's become in Milwaukee. If he continues to make further improvements as a facilitator then I'd gladly welcome him here. He's a stark opposite to DeMar, who can't do anything without the ball in his hands.
                    Ellis is still a inefficient scorer. With his height his a worse defender than Dd

DD>Ellis
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Ellis is still a inefficient scorer. With his height his a worse defender than Dd

DD>Ellis
                      I agree, but what I'm saying is Ellis brings more to the table offensively than DD. We already have our scorer in Rudy, so this would also get rid of the wing conflict we have with DD/Rudy's games being so similar.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I agree, but what I'm saying is Ellis brings more to the table offensively than DD. We already have our scorer in Rudy, so this would also get rid of the wing conflict we have with DD/Rudy's games being so similar.
                        It only makes the problem worse... Ellis doesn't bring anything else to the table and he needs the ball to be a factor

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          It only makes the problem worse... Ellis doesn't bring anything else to the table and he needs the ball to be a factor
                          Agreed!
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Ellis is an even less efficient scorer than DeRozan is. DD takes less shots and hits more of them. Their 3P% were nearly identical last season but DeRozan shot about 3 less of them per game. I will concede that he's been underrated as a distributor the last few seasons, but I don't see the value he brings when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. He's got great steal numbers but is overall a below average defender, and starting him beside a smallish point guard in Lowry causes a lot of matchup problems in the backcourt.

Of course, if we are really aiming to be next year's version of the Milwaukee Bucks... it's probably a good move.

Comment

• Aside from the issues of inefficiency (which we already have plenty of), Ellis is a bad fit with Lowry. Not an option.

Comment

• Keep for Sure:

- Amir Johnson
                                - Quincy Acy
                                - Kyle Lowry
                                - Landry Fields
                                - Jonas Valanciunas

Peresonaly, I would start all of them except Acy.

Meh, keep or trade:

- DeMar DeRozan
                                - Rudy Gay
                                - Terrence Ross

Two overpaid, below average wings. One with at least some potential. Keep if you can't upgrade, but this is where we really need the upgrade, as has been the case for a long time. Would start Fields over all of them.

The rest of the team is irrelevant, and hopefully none of them playing significant minutes next year. Maybe Gray, as a big body.

Comment

Working...
                                X