Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calderon wants to be traded to a Contender? Update: Raps feel the same? (post 37)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Note the question mark at the end of the thread title.
    Yeah, okay. *sigh*

Comment

phdmac wrote: View Post
      neither do the Bulls, especially for an $8M ticket for Jose. I doubt we'd be thrilled to get Kyle Korver or Taj Gibson in return. Gibson is a nice piece but duplicates a lot of what we have up front
      Gibson wipes the floor with alot of what we have upfront actually

Comment

jamesk wrote: View Post
        Gibson wipes the floor with alot of what we have upfront actually
        Agreed. Gibson is a better, younger Amir. And he was a college teammate of DeRozan at USC.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Agreed. Gibson is a better, younger Amir.
          Better and Younger than whom, exactly?

Amir Johnson is two years younger than Taj Gibson ...

Not to mention Amirs numbers on the season are actually better than Gibsons.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Better and Younger than whom, exactly?

Amir Johnson is two years younger than Taj Gibson ...

Not to mention Amirs numbers on the season are actually better than Gibsons.
            My bad. I assumed Gibson was younger.

Comment

Easy mistake. Amir has been in the league for a long time.

Comment

Raps interested in moving Calderon?

Keep in mind the source. Stein is brutal with Raptor rumours.

In a recent interview with the Spanish newspaper Marca, Raptors point guard Jose Calderon didn't deny that he'd "like to have the opportunity to compete for something."

That doesn't mean he's poised to ask for a trade -- "I don't think so, that's not me, that's not my personality," Calderon said -- but the 30-year-old left the undeniable sense that he wouldn't oppose a move away from the rebuilding Raps if the opportunity materializes.

You can safely assume, meanwhile, that the Raps feel the same way.
                Sources with knowledge of Toronto's thinking say that the team is not just going to give Calderon away, especially when he's back to supplying a typically efficient 10.6 points and 8.7 assists nightly, but I'm told that the Raps are indeed open to moving him.

You'll recall that they already did agree to trade him to Charlotte in the summer of 2010 in a Tyson Chandler deal that the Bobcats ultimately backed out of. Now? Sources say that the Raps, if not outright shopping Calderon, have let it be known they're willing to listen, since he's no longer regarded as their long-term answer at the point.

That's because shedding Calderon's nearly $11 million salary for next season would be another step in the reset that began with Bryan Colangelo's drafting of Jonas Valanciunas in June and the hiring of the defensive-minded Dwane Casey as the new coach. It's an open secret north of the border that the Raptors, as much as they've loved Bargnani's increased production and honest attempts to try harder on D under Casey, won't be heartbroken if their 2011-12 record nets another prime pick in the next draft.

The biggest obstacle to a Calderon deal between now and the March 15 trading deadline is that the Raps would surely want a point guard in return, which would appear to rule out teams looking for point guards -- like the Lakers and Knicks -- unless a third or fourth team joins in. Another option for Toronto, if shedding Calderon's salary is needed for cap space this summer, is merely releasing him via the amnesty clause in the NBA's new labor agreement since the Raps didn't use it before this season.

Source: ESPN.com Weekend Dime
                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Jan 28, 2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

But assuming there is merit and actual interest in Calderon, what teams would be interested in him? The only teams I can see would be:

Lakers
                  maybe Jazz
                  maybe Magic

Comment

But assuming there is merit and actual interest in Calderon, what teams would be interested in him? The only teams I can see would be:

Lakers
                    maybe Jazz
                    maybe Magic
                    Lakers would be a fit as we have been saying, and Morris would be the key point in a return and picks or what-not. Jazz, means we would have to take back Devin Harris, and I am not big on that idea, and the Magic would not have much of interest.

Comment

Raps trading Calderon?

ESPN is reporting that the raptors are accepting offers on Calderon. Well they aren't actively shopping him they have made it know they are listening to offers.

How do you feel about this? Do you think after the article came out about Jose wanting to play for a contender triggered this?

Personally, I'm hoping that it is just another runout and he stays on board. This guy is a pure professional and a good mentor for the younger guys. Also, he is Playing great ball.

What teams do you think would be interested?

Comment

I don't think that's good unless it is for another good point guard that is young or that is contract runs over at the end of the season. Otherwise there's no reason to trade him. He's playing good this year, true leader. And without him, there's no insurance the Raptors will be able to get a new starting point guard for next season. Bayless is not the answer to me.

Comment

It would make sense for the raptors to move Calderon's salary IF the right deal presented itself. This would give Bayless a chance to start at the point and hopefully give us some serviceable players in return. And free up some cap space.
                          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

I hope Bayless isn't even on the roster next year.

Comment

Can I get the link to the ESPN article?

No, I do not think that this is a good thing unless we get a solid young point guard or a nice draft pick, two things I do not see happening considering the only teams I could imagine a deal with would be teams in a playoff picture. I could see an LA deal happen with the Lakers, maybe a deal with utah? I could imagine the knicks dying to get claderon with their PG's, or Goldenstate maybe.

It would take a real specific deal for me to buy in to this, but who knows. Dont think we should trade him at all.

Comment

id trade him in a heart beat if the deal includes a 2012 first round pick..... lets face it.. Jose may be playing well right now but for how long??? when is the hammy going to act up again???

also Jose has been a true pro since joining the Raps...i think he deserves to play for somthing. hes showed his loyalty to the Raps. i respect him for that.

the obvious choices for winners

Lakers
                                Magic
                                Boston
                                New York

I personaly think hed fit nice with the Lakers..maybe it gets Gasol going again for them..

Minni would be my choice of trading parter since kahn is a moron LOL
                                they LOVE PG's & Jose could mentor Rubio..

if we could manage to get minni's 2012 1st rounder Id even consider taking beasley off there hands

Comment

Working...
                                X