Larry Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Brown

we need to get him before he makes a final decision. http://www.opposingviews.com/i/is-la...ege-basketball

"Considering that this is the same man who -- in his heyday -- tamed big-time personalities like Allen Iverson, Rip Hamilton and Ben Wallace, it’s difficult to argue against Brown’s ability to handle youngsters. Further, the fact that he has actually come in and won on teams with minimal amounts of talent, serving as the anti-Phil Jackson for decades, seemingly solidifies his standing as a coach all schools should look at."

No

Comment

The guy doesn't like to play rookies and young guys. Not a good fit.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
        we need to get him before he makes a final decision. http://www.opposingviews.com/i/is-la...ege-basketball

"Considering that this is the same man who -- in his heyday -- tamed big-time personalities like Allen Iverson, Rip Hamilton and Ben Wallace, it’s difficult to argue against Brown’s ability to handle youngsters. Further, the fact that he has actually come in and won on teams with minimal amounts of talent, serving as the anti-Phil Jackson for decades, seemingly solidifies his standing as a coach all schools should look at."
        I considered it. People around these parts talked me out of it in a very convincing manner. Give this thread a day and you might change your mind too.

mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
        The guy doesn't like to play rookies and young guys. Not a good fit.
        The only flaw to this argument is that there may only be young guys left on roster after this season finishes.

Comment

Considering that LB and Jordan couldn't get along, and they're really tight, what makes one think that Colangelo and Brown will get along? And to get Brown to even consider coming to coach here, you're looking at upwards of 10M a season. I don't think MLSE will rubber stamp paying a coach 10M a year.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            Considering that LB and Jordan couldn't get along, and they're really tight, what makes one think that Colangelo and Brown will get along? And to get Brown to even consider coming to coach here, you're looking at upwards of 10M a season. I don't think MLSE will rubber stamp paying a coach 10M a year.
            For a 70yr old coach who lost the support of his players.

Comment

..and let's take a look at Colangelo's history of head coaches:

Danny Ainge 1996-1999
              Scott Skiles 1999-2002
              Frank Johnson 2002-2003
              Mike D'Antoni 2003-...
              Jay Triano

All of them were first time head coaches in the NBA. See the trend? Sam Mitchell might be the exception to the rule, but when he was here, he was still a first time head coach.

Comment

Yeah, Colangelo likes to promote from within the ranks.

Comment

There was a really huge thread on this earlier in the season...

Comment

Terrible Idea. He hates young players, young players usually hate him. He hates to lose and isn't in to rebuilding. He'd bitch and moan to the GM to trade all the young players for washed up guys just so he can get swept in the 1st round.
                    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Another negative spoken about Brown is that he is hard on his point guards. He was a pretty good one himself in his day so he probably knows what he is talking about....but doesnt a coach adjust to his personnel? He is as stubborn as the best to come up against. DJ Augustin is the latest example. I understand he was his choice in the draft and then didnt like the way he played or that he made too many mistakes (duh). Brown leaves and DJ becomes a pretty good pg with confidence shown by Silas. Brown is now 70 and this is not an old man's job especially with a young team who might be drafting a pg in the first round.

Comment

I have to say, I'm sick of these "let's get Jerry Sloan, Larry Brown or some other old, Hall of Fame coach" who a) wouldn't agree to coach Toronto for double their salary, and b) is so wrong for the team it's not even funny.

My question is, what on earth would be the attraction for top notch coach to come to a team that has not one player who's even a borderline All-Star, is one of the worst defensive teams in the league and has a center who doesn't rebound or defend? Oh, and has one of the worst records in the league.

And keep in mind that teams like the Lakers, Indiana, Atlanta, Utah, Detroit, Sacramento and possibly Houston all might have coaching vacancies this summer. All would be more attractive options than Toronto.

Oh, and Phill Jackson ain't coming, either.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post

My question is, what on earth would be the attraction for top notch coach to come to a team that has not one player who's even a borderline All-Star, is one of the worst defensive teams in the league and has a center who doesn't rebound or defend? Oh, and has one of the worst records in the league.

TimW, this can't be stressed enough. And the flip side is that even if a top-notch guy wanted to come to Toronto, nothing in Colangelo's history suggest he would even consider hiring a veteran bench boss (as was pointed out above by Mango).

There was a thread awhile ago where a number of us posted various assistant coaches around the league that might be worth a look and there is always Europe (where BC has gone before for a coach). There are plenty of good option beyond the old retreads.

Comment

All we need to do is get LB to coach, D'Antoni to be his assisstant with Lawerence Frank, Sell MLSE to the Buss Family, hire Jerry West as Prez, keep BC as GM and sign Nene and Ellis this off season, Dwight and CP3 next, trade up to get Kyrie in the draft. After a year with this team LB will leave and we'll bring in Phil "wins Rings" Jax and pull monkeys out our butts. Seriously, I did it in 2k11, can't be that hard in real life.
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              Another negative spoken about Brown is that he is hard on his point guards. He was a pretty good one himself in his day so he probably knows what he is talking about....but doesnt a coach adjust to his personnel? He is as stubborn as the best to come up against. DJ Augustin is the latest example. I understand he was his choice in the draft and then didnt like the way he played or that he made too many mistakes (duh). Brown leaves and DJ becomes a pretty good pg with confidence shown by Silas. Brown is now 70 and this is not an old man's job especially with a young team who might be drafting a pg in the first round.
                              Yeah he was a pretty good PG back in the day, but there wasn't a lot of competition in the 1930's.
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                              X