Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clevelands Draft Picks Since Lebron Left

If I was a Cleveland fan...

I would have wanted them to draft Kyrie, JV, Barnes, and Oladipo during the past few years.

I would probably have been on their blogs bitching about every single pick Grant has made since Kyrie...

Do you guys think this group of players they have built around will lead to success? Do you think any of those other players will become all-stars and make any of those Cleveland picks look like huge mistakes?

I don't know why, but for some reason I keep thinking about what they could have built since Lebron left.

Another question:

I keep hearing Simmons push the Lebron back to Cleveland angle like its something.

I just dont see how Lebron could go back there after Dan Gilbert's comments when Lebron left.

Am I missing something ?

Aside from the Kyrie draft they've done a mediocre job of drafting.

Tristan was clearly not the right pick at 4 when Valanciunas on the board. I think they had a win-now mentality and didn't want to deal with the buy-out, but almost every single mock had them taking JV at 4 on draft night. Thank God they didn't though or we'd be stuck with Biyombo right now probably O.O.

The Zeller pick in 2012 wasn't too bad considering where he was picked though.

Waiters was a terrible pick at #4 I'm sorry. The guy is a bonafide chucker, his ceiling is probably Jamal Crawford and I don't see how he can be a starter on a contender. Looks like a career 6th man to me. Would've been much better off picking Harrison BArnes at that spot.

Bennett just made no sense at all. They already have two double-double guys that can play 4 (TT and Varejao), and there's no way Bennett can guard the 3 in the NBA, good luck trying to cover a Durant or Paul George with his bulky frame lol. They definitely should've taken Oladipo, Porter or McLemore preferably the former to have a nice strong defensive guy next to Kyrie.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
      Aside from the Kyrie draft they've done a mediocre job of drafting.

Tristan was clearly not the right pick at 4 when Valanciunas on the board. I think they had a win-now mentality and didn't want to deal with the buy-out, but almost every single mock had them taking JV at 4 on draft night. Thank God they didn't though or we'd be stuck with Biyombo right now probably O.O.

The Zeller pick in 2012 wasn't too bad considering where he was picked though.

Waiters was a terrible pick at #4 I'm sorry. The guy is a bonafide chucker, his ceiling is probably Jamal Crawford and I don't see how he can be a starter on a contender. Looks like a career 6th man to me. Would've been much better off picking Harrison BArnes at that spot.

Bennett just made no sense at all. They already have two double-double guys that can play 4 (TT and Varejao), and there's no way Bennett can guard the 3 in the NBA, good luck trying to cover a Durant or Paul George with his bulky frame lol. They definitely should've taken Oladipo, Porter or McLemore preferably the former to have a nice strong defensive guy next to Kyrie.
      That was my worst nightmare.

I actually feel like Cleveland has done well with some of their more under-the-radar picks, but agree that their high-lottery selections have been...odd, to say the least. But I like the Zelller pick at 17, as well as the Karasev pick at 19. I think those are solid picks for later in the 1st round.

Comment

I dunno, looks like they built a nice young Miami to me, and if Lebron goes back....heh.

Waiters, Thompson, Bennet, Irving, Zeller...hahaha they all look WAY better with Lebron standing there with them.

Don't sleep on Cleveland.

Comment

All reports indicate that the Knicks and Lakers will recruit him. I don't see him going back to Cleveland. People need to leave those poor Cavs fans alone already.

Comment

Previously, Lebron turned down the big market offers by teams from New York and Chicago for the mid sized market of Miami because his criteria was winning championships. Next summer the Cavs could be James' best opportunity to continue the accumulation of rings.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
              Previously, Lebron turned down the big market offers by teams from New York and Chicago for the mid sized market of Miami because his criteria was winning championships. Next summer the Cavs could be James' best opportunity to continue the accumulation of rings.
              Lol what on earth. Miami is not a mid-sized market.

Miami the city itself is small, but it's the 8th most populous metropolitan area in the United States. Throw in the lack of income tax and excellent weather and it's FAR from being a mid-sized basketball market lol.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                i'm sorry but cleveland does not have a better chance to win a championship than miami. Even with LeBron

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  i'm sorry but cleveland does not have a better chance to win a championship than miami. Even with LeBron
                  Ummm.... that's VERY debatable.

A healthy Kyrie and healthy Bynum is arguably a better supporting cast for LBJ than Wade and Bosh (even when healthy).

Also a younger supporting cast, it would give LBJ like another 5 year title window...

Comment

Think about this. Cleveland could've had Irving, JV, Barnes and Bennett. But they blew it away by taking Thompson instead of JV and Waiters instead of Barnes.

Bunch of idiots!! oh wait, i guess as a Raps fan i should say, thank you. LOL
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Cleveland was super scared of JV's buyout. It could have been a 2-3 year buyout and instead of taking that gamble went with a safe pick. Toronto on the other hand had Gherardini's connections out in Europe and figured they could get JV after 1 year, and with that extra bit of information drafted him. So that pick even though it looked bad was probably the smart thing from a Cavs point of view.

Waiters is questionable but they wanted a SG and Beal was already taken by Washington. Barnes may end up better than Waiters but that's not a guarantee and he did pretty poorly in the tourney once Marshall got injured so his stock dropped.

Bennett was a weird pick, I'll admit as they already have TT on their roster and need a SF. Will be interesting how AB does, but perhaps they don't like what they see in TT and are planning to move him for something else by the deadline?

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                        Lol what on earth. Miami is not a mid-sized market.

Miami the city itself is small, but it's the 8th most populous metropolitan area in the United States. Throw in the lack of income tax and excellent weather and it's FAR from being a mid-sized basketball market lol.
                        The US census says that Miami is the 11th largest metropolitan area:
                        http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/csa2005.htm

The Heat market share is 12th in the NBA based on conglomerate urban area population of home cities as listed here:
                        http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173365

The Heat are 16th in market size according to their TV market according to Forbes.com. The Lakers have a deal that pays them $250M per season. The Heat make somewhere between $80 and $100 million per season on their TV deal (Lebron inflated).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2...2013-playoffs/
                        http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011...-numbers-game/

The Heat are 17th in TV market size according to ESPN.
                        http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...almost-nothing

Anyway you look at it Miami is right in the middle of the pack in market size.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Cleveland was super scared of JV's buyout. It could have been a 2-3 year buyout and instead of taking that gamble went with a safe pick. Toronto on the other hand had Gherardini's connections out in Europe and figured they could get JV after 1 year, and with that extra bit of information drafted him. So that pick even though it looked bad was probably the smart thing from a Cavs point of view.

Waiters is questionable but they wanted a SG and Beal was already taken by Washington. Barnes may end up better than Waiters but that's not a guarantee and he did pretty poorly in the tourney once Marshall got injured so his stock dropped.

Bennett was a weird pick, I'll admit as they already have TT on their roster and need a SF. Will be interesting how AB does, but perhaps they don't like what they see in TT and are planning to move him for something else by the deadline?
                          The thing I really don't get is why Cleveland doesn't take more shit for passing on Drummond? They needed a C. They even took Zeller with a lower pick. And I think even trying to look back objectively it's hard to understand, as Waiters was an underwhelming wing prospect, and Drummond had concerns, but had consensus top 5 potential in that draft. In hindsight, it's just plain nuts. I mean, they'd probably trade Zeller and Waiters for Drummond if it was on the table, with no hesitation.

*Edit: just to say on the last part there...I hope they move TT. I hope they move him to Toronto. THat would make me happy. A JV, TT, Amir frontcourt for years would make me very happy indeed, assuming they can hang on to Amir.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Aug 2, 2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I'd definitely take JV over TT, but compare Tristan/JV's rookie years on basketball-reference and the stats are essentially the same, making it an OK pick if they were in a win-now mindset. Both played around 60 games, both averaged 24 minutes, and both averaged 8 and 6. Tristan turned the ball over less frequently and fouled less, but Jonas shot better from both the stripe and overall.

Don't sleep on Tristan. He averaged 13 & 11 per36 in his 2nd year and is only going to get better, so he's definitely panned out as much as they've hoped. I think this should be JV's floor for the upcoming season.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                              I'd definitely take JV over TT, but compare Tristan/JV's rookie years on basketball-reference and the stats are essentially the same, making it an OK pick if they were in a win-now mindset. Both played around 60 games, both averaged 24 minutes, and both averaged 8 and 6. Tristan turned the ball over less frequently and fouled less, but Jonas shot better from both the stripe and overall.

Don't sleep on Tristan. He averaged 13 & 11 per36 in his 2nd year and is only going to get better, so he's definitely panned out as much as they've hoped. I think this should be JV's floor for the upcoming season.
                              I don't think TT over JV was that bad a gamble. JV was a top C prospect, but in that draft, TT looked really good as well. I mean, he's clearly a better choice than Vesely, Biyombo, and since Cleveland used the #1 on Irving, PGs like Kemba and Knight were worthless to them as well. If JV's buyout bothered them that much, TT wasn't a bad pick. They could've gambled and done much worse. Thompson definitely looked like the best pure PF prospect, and does in hindsight as well. But it's still odd that a buyout scared them enough to take a PF instead of a C.

Comment

Working...
                              X