Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geo wrote: View Post
    just stop...I stopped reading when you said playing for a ring
    lol, you got me there. Alright, maybe not playing for a ring, but at least a realistic shot of getting past the first or perhaps even the second round.

Comment

• As much as l want Nash to be a Raptor, l respect his decision to be part of a team that has a bigger chance of winning.

Comment

• LateBoomer wrote: View Post
        "When the Raptors start ressembling a functional, winning team, free agents will have no hesitation signing here. "

But how can we assemble a winning team if the FAs don't go here in the first place?
        Trades, draft and good coaching. Eminently doable. Not easy, but doable.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          The point of Basketball Canada is to promote the game within the country.

To the casual fan this spurning kills their interest and supports all other 'puck head' jabs.

To the NBA community it further validates the stigma of Canada.

To hardcore fans such as myself, it makes me wonder if the denial of the stigma I've had for years is b.s. on my part.

His spurning the Raptors in this manner - and using them as leverage to get a fair contract on the free agent market - does nothing to promote the game in Canada and, in my opinion, it only hurts the game in Canada at the professional level through which the most publicity for the sport in the country comes from to begin with.

Do I think he should renounce his citizenship? No.
          Should he be insulted for making his choice? No.
          Should his family concerns make me unsympathetic? No.
          Should he be booed? No really - but I don't think the standing O is warranted anymore.

These are just my thoughts but his actions are harming the game in Canada. Luckily, there is a group of young players coming up that might not feel the same as their American counterparts given the rising talent in the country and the rising number of top young Canadians playing (and dominating!) in US high school ball.
          This exactly. He has the right to play in NY, and I even feel that he was the best guy for the GM job with Basketball Canada, but this is undeniably damaging to the reputation of basketball within Canada, and to the reputation of Canadian basketball outside of it. That's why I don't think he should continue with the organization.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Doesn't work that way. If Nash wants New York, it doesn't matter if we offer Phoenix a better package. Nash is the decision-maker (not the Suns).
            Unless Phoenix doesn't like the trade pieces from New York. It's not like NY can tell Phoenix to take a hike and sign Nash straight up (unless Nash is willing to take a HUGE pay cut).

Comment

• big red wrote: View Post
              Unless Phoenix doesn't like the trade pieces from New York. It's not like NY can tell Phoenix to take a hike and sign Nash straight up (unless Nash is willing to take a HUGE pay cut).
              Yup... Phoenix has some leverage here. If Phoenix hates the pieces that NY is offering, Phoenix can say No. Nash would then have to settle for $3M or NY would have to find a 3rd team.

Comment

• LeeZ wrote: View Post
                The only perception that counts is that of free agents. When the Raptors start ressembling a functional, winning team, free agents will have no hesitation signing here. Sure, Toronto will always be at a slight disadvantage for a variety of reasons (no ESPN, having to go through Customs, that sort of thing), but this won't be a major impediment once we start playing well. So, with all due respect, sir, I think your perception argument is flawed.
                What you said is exactly what my argument is.

All I meant is that if the only Canadian NBA franchise, which is pulling out all the stops, is unsuccessful in its attempts at luring 39-year old 'Captain Canada' and GM of the Canadian National team to play his last few years in front of sold our crowds that would hail him as a national hero, then it does not bode well for the franchise's ability to sign big name free agents in the future. Especially since Nash would very likely help lead this team back into a winning, playoff calibur franchise.

The perception among other free agents and would-be Raptors could very well become "well if Nash won't even sign with the Raptors and doesn't want to play basketball in Canada, why would I want to?", as a result of Nash spurning us. That's what I am fearful of and am worried about... I'm not upset or pissed off at Nash or anything like that.
                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• We expect BC to lure good American players to Toronto when the guy can't get a 38-yr old Canadian to come over for massive money. Not that I really wanted Nash here, but the fact that this makes the Raptors look like total jackasses hurts me.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    This exactly. He has the right to play in NY, and I even feel that he was the best guy for the GM job with Basketball Canada, but this is undeniably damaging to the reputation of basketball within Canada, and to the reputation of Canadian basketball outside of it. That's why I don't think he should continue with the organization.
                    Explain to me why him choosing to go to a better team is any indictment on Canadian Basketball. As well explain to me how the Toronto Raptors being shitty have any indictment on Canadian Basketball. I am as loyal a fan as I can possibly be with the Raptors and I fill myself with false hope every year to make myself feel better, but there are a few clear things that I cannot hide. One The Raptors are not a good team, everyone can argue all they want bottom line they are not a good team. That single fact has no relevance to the fact that they are a Canadian team, infact they have no Canadian Basketball Players. If Steve Nash chose not to come to the Raptors it is based on that fact alone. Why would a 2 time MVP going on his last contract want to come to a team that historically can't win and historically can not even lose properly. This is not about Canadian Basketball and thankfully we have the likes of Tristan Thompson, Myck Kabongo, Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson, Kris Joseph, Cory Joseph, and quite a few more very promising Canadian players on the horizon that will make this a non factor regarding Canadian Basketball in a few years. This is purely a professional decision and should have no affect on his job as gm of Canada Basketball. Infact those names I just listed where probably influenced by Steve Nash when they began. Don't blame Nash, blame MLSE, Richard Peddy, Bryan Colangelo, Wayne Embry, Rob Babcock, Jack Mckluskey, and Glen Grunwald for not producing anything in 17 years. Each one of these people had their hands in the shittiness that is the Raps, so pick one and vent.

Comment

• Has anybody mentioned the irony that we hoped to get Nash on Canada day and now he might go to NY on July 4th. Guess we have bigger things to worry about.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Yup... Phoenix has some leverage here. If Phoenix hates the pieces that NY is offering, Phoenix can say No. Nash would then have to settle for $3M or NY would have to find a 3rd team.
                        Depends on how Nash views Toronto. If Phoenix gets greedy and says no to any Knicks offers, Nash could always say, "Screw it, I'm going to Toronto". Not sure if Phoenix is willing to risk that happening.

Unless of course Nash tells Phoenix that NY is the only team he's willing to sign for.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Depends on how Nash views Toronto. If Phoenix gets greedy and says no to any Knicks offers, Nash could always say, "Screw it, I'm going to Toronto". Not sure if Phoenix is willing to risk that happening.

Unless of course Nash tells Phoenix that NY is the only team he's willing to sign for.
                          In which case Phoenix is faced with the same problem BC was faced with when dealing away Bosh. Rock, meet hard place.

As I said in an earlier post, unless Nash just wants each team's offer/deal in place before he decides where he will be playing next season, this all speaks fairly clearly that Toronto is not his preferred destination. If it was, there'd be no point for NYK to even bother negotiating a potential S&T deal with Phoenix, especially after their initial one fell apart (due to Fields not being available).

Comment

• CNOTE wrote: View Post
                            Explain to me why him choosing to go to a better team is any indictment on Canadian Basketball. As well explain to me how the Toronto Raptors being shitty have any indictment on Canadian Basketball. I am as loyal a fan as I can possibly be with the Raptors and I fill myself with false hope every year to make myself feel better, but there are a few clear things that I cannot hide. One The Raptors are not a good team, everyone can argue all they want bottom line they are not a good team. That single fact has no relevance to the fact that they are a Canadian team, infact they have no Canadian Basketball Players. If Steve Nash chose not to come to the Raptors it is based on that fact alone. Why would a 2 time MVP going on his last contract want to come to a team that historically can't win and historically can not even lose properly. This is not about Canadian Basketball and thankfully we have the likes of Tristan Thompson, Myck Kabongo, Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson, Kris Joseph, Cory Joseph, and quite a few more very promising Canadian players on the horizon that will make this a non factor regarding Canadian Basketball in a few years. This is purely a professional decision and should have no affect on his job as gm of Canada Basketball. Infact those names I just listed where probably influenced by Steve Nash when they began. Don't blame Nash, blame MLSE, Richard Peddy, Bryan Colangelo, Wayne Embry, Rob Babcock, Jack Mckluskey, and Glen Grunwald for not producing anything in 17 years. Each one of these people had their hands in the shittiness that is the Raps, so pick one and vent.
                            I'm not saying I blame Nash for choosing to go to a "better" team (although with 4 players earning $67M, I don't know how that'll work out). I'm not saying he actively tried to hurt Canada Basketball. But its just bad PR for them, as anyone would tell you.

Comment

• looks like even BC has thrown the towel in. he was quoted as saying

“We gave it our best shot,”

Comment

• ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
                                With or w/out Nash, sources say, Raps will keep trying to trade for Kyle Lowry. Raps talked deals w/HOU at draft. Still want him either way

very interesting... if true

Comment

Working...
                                X