Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Way Early Pre Season Predictions Thread... who finishes where in the Eastern Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    The Knicks would be the most obvious one from where I sit. That mix of players in the NY media spotlight - if things go sideways early on (and that's a real possibility) there will be an airing of dirty laundry in the press on a daily basis.

The other team might be Orlando. Massive pressure there to make the playoffs and they appear to be on outside looking in at the moment. A dark horse might be Milwaukee. How long will Kidd want to stay there is things go off the rails again this year? Could be some drama there.
    Interesting thoughts..

Orlando with the steady players coach Vogel in charge, could be a surprise and mitigate team turmoil though.. but the possibility exists with an anxious ownership looking to see immediate gain from their spending spree in FA and major trades with OKC and Detroit.

Didn't consider the accelerant Jason Kidd could be for the Bucks. If they sputter past new years .. and with the worst backcourt in the league outside of Philly.. thats quite possible... then the Kidd could quit on the team and they could be right there with the Bulls... Whiz.... Knicks and possibly the Magicians.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Sep 6, 2016, 03:59 PM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

Shocked how many of you are underrating what Detroit did this offseason.

They added a backup PG (Ish Smith), a 4/5 hybrid who can stretch the floor and play D along with another stretch 4(Jon Leuer & Henry Ellenson), added a 3rd C who could get time and even take over as the backup Center (Boban Marjonavic), along with key pieces still in place (Drummond, Jackson, Harris, Montejunas, etc....)

This team is built to contend and has the bench depth unlike Charlotte, Indiana, Milwaukee or Orlando. The Celtics are the media darlings, but watch that change if the Pistons win games.
      Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post

They added a backup PG (Ish Smith), a 4/5 hybrid who can stretch the floor and play D along with another stretch 4(Jon Leuer & Henry Ellenson), added a 3rd C who could get time and even take over as the backup Center (Boban Marjonavic), along with key pieces still in place (Drummond, Jackson, Harris, Montejunas, etc....)

This team is built to contend and has the bench depth unlike Charlotte, Indiana, Milwaukee or Orlando. The Celtics are the media darlings, but watch that change if the Pistons win games.
        You are absolutely right. Detroit is gonna shock people. Not me though. I expect them to be very good
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Meh. DET squeaked into 8th last season and made a bunch of tiny changes that amount to very little IMO. They'll be middle of the pack in the East, might even have an outside shot at home court, but I can't envision a top 3 finish for them.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            Meh. DET squeaked into 8th last season and made a bunch of tiny changes that amount to very little IMO. They'll be middle of the pack in the East, might even have an outside shot at home court, but I can't envision a top 3 finish for them.
            That backup point guard is huge for them. They had no depth last year. An improved stanimal and the Serbian beast Boban really help with that. They could challenge for a 2-3 seed.

Comment

I have them at 5th, yet I could see them getting into the 2nd round easily depending on who they play in the 1st round (Say a team like Indy.)
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cleveland will finish first. And that's really all that matters.

Toronto will probably finish 2nd or 3rd. But it doesn't really matter because they've not in the Cavs league.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

I had them landing at 5.. quite a few of the other Nostradomus's do as well. Thats a big move up from 8. Detroit is a young team and getting better. They are well constructed and they have Stan the Man Van Gundy walking the sidelines. The ingredients are there in all their various stages.

Can they finish in the top 4 ?

Lots has to go right.

Drummond has to improve his miserable FT% and be a consistent force late in games. Reggie Jackson has to play under control every game. Tobias Harris has to post a yearly average of 20-10. The addition of steady hand Jon Leur helps and if Stanley Johnson keeps progressing and doesn't contract the sophomore jinx they could challenge for 4th or even 3rd... but thats a lot that has to go right to move up from the 5 spot.
                  Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Sep 8, 2016, 09:53 PM.
                  - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                    Anyone got any views on the over/under of Christmas who team turmoil is this year in the east ?
                    In the East I would say :

Knicks: few players on this team think they are a contender. I think they will do OK until January but then injuries will catch up with them and there will be a lot of finger pointing with Dolan threatening to fire Hornacek + Phil Jackson and trading Melo. Typical Knicks season.

Boston: Cocky team who haven't done anything but expects to do great things. Lets see what they do when teams will adjust to their play and be better prepared.

Hornets: Did nothing to capitalize on last season success except lose some key players. Heads are going to roll when they miss the playoffs.

As for the West, I am getting my popcorn ready for The Kings season as per usual. Also I got a sneaking suspicion that the Clippers will implode and heads are going to roll there too. The Rockets should still be fun to watch attempting to play defence.

Comment

How BOS got twice as many votes as us to get out of the East is beyond me.
                      Better question could be: Who is the idiot that picked Bos to finish first ahead of Cavs?

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                        Anyone got any views on the over/under of Christmas who team turmoil is this year in the east ?
                        Taking bets on:

• Bulls (with Rondo & Wade & Butler) combined with a lot of rookies who won't be able to avoid the shrapnel and a coach who lost last years locker room still walking the sidelines.

• Whiz (have to love Wall and his hate on the floor comments about Beal... I mean.. who says that ? Really)
                        The Hawks.

Honestly, I wonder how Schroeder is going to do as the starter. It feels like he could be a MIP winner, but I worry he's going to fall into the "good, not great" category that includes Teague, Conley, Jackson & well, Collinson (A lot wouldn't put him there, but he's exactly what you look for in a quality starting PG, IMO.)

Korver's a year older, and he just came off another mediocre season. Howard is a joke at C. Prince is a rookie....

And they have no bench (It's a odd mix of guys that can do one thing really well yet suck in a area that can be exploited.)

If they miss the playoffs, would it shock anyone?

As for my West Team with turmoil, I'm going to say it: Dallas. I'm sorry, but I just don't see a good team here on paper. A lot of has-been's and guys who've been over hyped (Harrison Barnes especially.)

But I was wrong about them the last 2 years.... it seems Dirk is the NBA's Martin Brodeur: A guy way past his prime still kicking ass here & there.
                        Axel wrote:
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        KeonClark wrote:

Comment

The Hawks.

Honestly, I wonder how Schroeder is going to do as the starter. It feels like he could be a MIP winner, but I worry he's going to fall into the "good, not great" category that includes Teague, Conley, Jackson & well, Collinson (A lot wouldn't put him there, but he's exactly what you look for in a quality starting PG, IMO.)

Korver's a year older, and he just came off another mediocre season. Howard is a joke at C. Prince is a rookie....

And they have no bench (It's a odd mix of guys that can do one thing really well yet suck in a area that can be exploited.)

If they miss the playoffs, would it shock anyone?

As for my West Team with turmoil, I'm going to say it: Dallas. I'm sorry, but I just don't see a good team here on paper. A lot of has-been's and guys who've been over hyped (Harrison Barnes especially.)

But I was wrong about them the last 2 years.... it seems Dirk is the NBA's Martin Brodeur: A guy way past his prime still kicking ass here & there.
                          Forgot about Debilitating Dwight Disease... so good catch and for sure its within reasonable grounds to include the Hawks in the mix for the unenviable title of team turmoil.

We have in no particular order:
                          Hawks.. Bulls... Knicks... Whiz... Orlando...Bucks... and the Leprechauns

Interesting thoughts on the absence of a bench.

Who do you think has less of a bench ?
                          Da Nicks ? or the Hawks..or possibly even the Bulls who would boast McBuckets and Mirotic before you get to Cristiano Felicio..Jerian Grant...Paul Zisper.. and the rookie Denzel Valentine (summer league notwithstanding rooks contribute somewhere between nothing and negligible)

I am going with the Superteam Knicks.. who still have Sasha Vujacic as a rotation player... Sasha Vujacic...its going to be another knicks kinda year in Gotham.
                          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Sep 13, 2016, 02:42 PM.
                          - TGO

Comment

The Best
                            1) Toronto
                            2) Cleveland (i think Cleveland is the better team, but as the Champs i feel they are going to focus more on rest than winning games in the regular season)
                            3)Boston

The Rest
                            4)Indiana
                            5)Atlanta
                            6)Detroit
                            7)Charlotte
                            8)Miami Heat (If Bosh is healthy)
                            9)Chicago
                            10)Orlando
                            11)New York
                            12)Milwaukee
                            13)Washington
                            14)Philadelphia
                            15)Brooklyn

from 6-13 i really think its going to be a shit show ... all those teams want to make the playoffs and all have the talent to do it

Comment

CBS has just posted the order of finish for both conferences and a playoff bracket that has the predictable finals matchup of the warriors vs Cavs in all 4 fearless predictors calls.

None of the 4 has either of the Knicks or Bulls making the post season.

None of the 4 has the Raps getting to the ECF and two have them out in round 1.

Boston remains the choice of the CBS crew as challenger in the East along with what has to be " I lost a bet so I have to post this" call from Moore having the Honets beating both the Raps and Leprechauns on the way to the ECF.

I guess the boys from CBS don't believe that 3 point shooting and rebounding are important...
                              Boston rated 28th last year from the arc and didn't find help there. With no bigger bodies inside and an ankle injury almost pre ordained for Amir they are going to struggle on the glass.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nb...chup-champion/
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Oct 21, 2016, 11:19 AM.
                              - TGO

Comment

Knicks should be in the playoffs...if they can cobble together some half-decent guard-play.

Comment

Working...
                                X