Jason Collins comes out as a homosexual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sig wrote: View Post
    The worst part is the one season where he played 32mpg as a starter averaging 6ppg and 6rpg.

brutal...
    wow... that IS brutal.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
      wow... that IS brutal.
      Plus 41%FG that season, dude sucks both figuratively and literally

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        My beef with Broussard is that he's completely hypocritical when it comes to breaking down barriers in sports. He goes on and on and on and on about Black this and Black that in sport, as thought there was still a color barrier... hello, it's 2013, people (most people, thankfully we live in Canada) could care less what color somebody's skin was. However, when it comes to a player breaking down the sexual orientation barrier in professional sports, he goes off on a religious attack, rather than step back and pay his respect. He makes it sound as though homosexuality is a choice people make, similar to whether to be a vegetarian or not, as opposed to being who/what you are - like being black. I was disappointed that somebody who clearly understands the value and importance of what Jackie Robinson did for Blacks, would have such a negative, ignorant view of what Collins did and the equally profound impact it would have for the homosexual community. I also personally think he came across as a homophobe hiding behind outdated religious virtues, but that's another discussion for another time.
        1st bold: Yup, it would seem that all folks intolerant of homosexuals believe it's a choice.

2nd bold: Aren't all religious virtues outdated?

Comment

Vykis wrote: View Post
          Plus 41%FG that season, dude sucks both figuratively and literally
          Shouldn't be laughing but I am...
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

his stats are meaningless. if he sucks, he shouldn't get a new contract from anybody... if he has any value, even if it's just as 6 hard fouls, then he should..

gay has nothing to do with that.

what's commendable, is he is still hoping to work next year, and took a massive risk outing himself. the majority of reactions from everyone has been positive, but he had absolutely no way of knowing that. there was absolutely no precedent set for the effect of a gay man coming out while actively seeking employment in professional sports.

personally, i can't reasonably say i'd have been able to predict what the reactions were going to be.. i'm Canadian, not American. I don't exactly know what the social stigma for homosexuals is amongst black american culture. i've never been in a room with a bunch of black americans and one gay guy at the moment that somebody points out that dude is gay.

i have been here. it's largely a "meh... who the fuck cares, as long as he doesn't whip out his dick" moment..

he's a first. a harbinger. he's the butterfly in chaos theory.

a part of me hopes he doesn't get signed. not because of his gayness, but because he's not a very good player.

and he goes on to work in social activism.. community work.. etc

he's unintentionally made himself a symbol for something much bigger than what he intended.. and he can do the world so much more good embracing that role, than as a basketball player

Comment

FYI, Collins was on the BS Report yesterday.. good listen.
              http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-jason-collins

Comment

what's commendable, is he is still hoping to work next year, and took a massive risk outing himself. the majority of reactions from everyone has been positive, but he had absolutely no way of knowing that. there was absolutely no precedent set for the effect of a gay man coming out while actively seeking employment in professional sports.
                See, to me, the reaction is entirely predictable. My only surprise is that the reaction hasn't been even more fawning. Darren Rovell was tweeting the other day that Collins' agent is now convinced some team will sign him. In fact, I'll go beyond that: I would place a significant wager a team will sign him (or be told to).

I wish people would stop with the "how brave it is" stuff. The guy is worth millions, has a zillion dollar education from Stanford, is politically connected to both the Clintons and Kennedys. The guy is as privileged as it gets for a middle class person. If anything, this guarantees him a career after basketball.

Now, what would be really brave is for a pro athlete to take a stance that is unpopular with mainstream media, sports journalists and the intellectual elite - say, a pro life commercial? I bet the media would hail that athlete's bravery for taking a stance on a controversial issue...... oh, wait a minute. Well, Tebow could always come out as gay. Guarantee himslef a roster spot next year.

Comment

Collins didn't have a ten year (or so) career because of his production or per. He got his contracts to defend (those dominant big guys like Shaq, Duncan or Howard).

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    I wish people would stop with the "how brave it is" stuff. The guy is worth millions, has a zillion dollar education from Stanford, is politically connected to both the Clintons and Kennedys. The guy is as privileged as it gets for a middle class person. If anything, this guarantees him a career after basketball.
                    how is it not brave? how does his education, pay scale, and connections make it any easier?

we're not talking about coming out and saying "hey guys, i have something to tell you all.. i like fish. i really like fish. tuna, salmon, halibut, whatever. LOVE IT"

we're talking about something that he's felt the need to keep to himself and hide from the people around him for the majority of his life for fear of the repercussions. money and education don't make that any easier to come out about.

on a global scale, nah.. it's not all that significant in itself. it's one dude, coming out about something that he should never have worried about the public knowing, and the public should never have judged him for anyways. is he a saint? fuck no. but did it take some balls to out himself? sure did.

the significance of him coming out is what comes out of it... awareness, acceptance, tolerance.. the next generation of kids trying to go pro being able to say "ya, i like dudes.. so what?" without it impacting their careers... fostering an environment where a guy can say "hey coach.. i'm gay" and the coach's reaction would be "whatever.. go guard lebron" instead of it being a big deal.. it getting to a point where it's not a big deal anymore would be the biggest deal.

like i said before, collins is the harbinger. he's the first.. he's what comes before the actual event. as an individual moment, this is insignificant... but the ripples it causes is what's important

Comment

titties.

because this conversation is getting too serious.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                        how is it not brave? how does his education, pay scale, and connections make it any easier?

we're not talking about coming out and saying "hey guys, i have something to tell you all.. i like fish. i really like fish. tuna, salmon, halibut, whatever. LOVE IT"

we're talking about something that he's felt the need to keep to himself and hide from the people around him for the majority of his life for fear of the repercussions. money and education don't make that any easier to come out about.

on a global scale, nah.. it's not all that significant in itself. it's one dude, coming out about something that he should never have worried about the public knowing, and the public should never have judged him for anyways. is he a saint? fuck no. but did it take some balls to out himself? sure did.

the significance of him coming out is what comes out of it... awareness, acceptance, tolerance.. the next generation of kids trying to go pro being able to say "ya, i like dudes.. so what?" without it impacting their careers... fostering an environment where a guy can say "hey coach.. i'm gay" and the coach's reaction would be "whatever.. go guard lebron" instead of it being a big deal.. it getting to a point where it's not a big deal anymore would be the biggest deal.

like i said before, collins is the harbinger. he's the first.. he's what comes before the actual event. as an individual moment, this is insignificant... but the ripples it causes is what's important
                        It's not just coming out in public. Apparently he only told the people around him pretty recent. He told his twin brother last summer (from the bs-report you linked).

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                          It's not just coming out in public. Apparently he only told the people around him pretty recent. He told his twin brother last summer (from the bs-report you linked).
                          ya.. you're right... and i'd think the coming out to the people close to him would be a much bigger deal... the public outing brings more media attention... but the personal attention of people who actually have influence on your day to day life has a much bigger impact than "media attention" (but probably a lot less annoying)

i'm a pretty open and honest person to the point of being a revolting dolt... but there are details of my "personal life" that has recently come out to my friends thanks to ladyfriends with big fucking mouths... and while nowhere near as big a deal as saying you're gay, it was pretty damn embarassing..

luckily, its ME... and most people were just like "oh well there's another weird thing about him" and jokes getting cracked at my expense, which i have no problem with... but it's weird feeling, that i can only describe as being a 13 year old girl and finding out your parents read your diary.. that kind of exposure bites

Comment

Opinions on Collins being with a woman for eight years, going as far as getting engaged to her before suddenly breaking it off for reasons she thought were bullshit at the time?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

Now, what would be really brave is for a pro athlete to take a stance that is unpopular with mainstream media, sports journalists and the intellectual elite - say, a pro life commercial? I bet the media would hail that athlete's bravery for taking a stance on a controversial issue...... oh, wait a minute.
                              See, that's one of the things I've been wondering about a lot with all this talk about Collins. As a society, how much do we actually value freedom of speech - for speech we disagree with? For me personally, as long as you can base your opinion on verifiable facts and aren't just talking out of your ass, you can disagree with me and we can have a productive conversation. But once you start making things up, that's unacceptable. Even if you agree with me. ESPECIALLY if you disagree with me, actually.

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                                Opinions on Collins being with a woman for eight years, going as far as getting engaged to her before suddenly breaking it off for reasons she thought were bullshit at the time?
                                there is a video somewhere on the internet of her being interviewed but i'm too lazy to look it up myself.

the coles notes version: she was absolutely shocked when he told her, and had no idea when they were together... but supports him

so my opinion is moot. the person who was most effected by him "trying" to be straight in vain doesn't hold a grudge.. so not really worth opining on

Comment

Working...
                                X