No announcement yet.

Tweak, Sweep or Tw-eep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3s arent that necessary if you play the rest of the game well as a unit, Chicago doesnt take many 3s avg 8 attempts a game 13 with D Rose. I dont think DeMar needs a 3 point shot tbh hes found what his game is and he is destroying people on the midrange focus on that. DeRozan needs to focus on improving strength even more, His Handles improved but can still get better, better post up plays. A 3 point shot was never his thing you can win a game with a lot of high efficient 2 balls.

Comment

I lean toward tweak. The Raptors are in such a tough salary position right now that it's next to impossible to make any significant moves without putting themselves in an even worse position. This isn't a contender team as built, but it could be, if the right pieces are added over the next couple years and the pieces we have develop well.

2013: move Bargnani if a trade is there, but don't bring in any big contracts longer than two years unless they're a potential championship piece (some unlikely Jefferson S&T, for example I would do. Boozer trade is okay because it's two years after this year). Otherwise, keep core of Lowry, DeRozan, Ross, Gay, Fields, Johnson, Valanciunas together. Amnesty Kleiza. Upgrade depth at PF and PG using MLE and bi-annual exception, but try to keep non-core contracts short and small. This would be extremely difficult, but if there's any way to stay under the tax, do so, as it'll but another year before the repeater rate kicks in (not to 2017/18, I think). During the season, focus on player development, chemistry, and getting into the playoffs.
      2014: assuming the team is significantly improved (5th/6th in the east), attempt to retain Gay and Lowry at around $30 million per year as a package. Less if possible, of course. Activate team option on Amir and the rookies. Draft BPA. During the season, focus on wins, preparing for playoffs, getting beyond first round. (Alternately, if the Gay experiment turns into a disaster, don't extend and let him expire in 2015 for massive rebuilding cap space.)
      2015: If Gay and Lowry have been resigned for $30 million or less, then combined with Ross, JV, and DeRozan, that should give us $15-20 million in cap space if we renounce our holds on Fields, Bargnani (or his replacement), and Johnson. Go hard after an allstar-level or near allstar level PF in free agency, assuming Johnson has not become that player. Lots of options, it's too early to speculate who's going to be available. At this point, best UFA PFs of that season are Aldridge and Love. Alternately, trade Bargnani as an expiring contract for whatever position is most in need of upgrade. Draft BPA. From this point forward, the goal should be top 4 in the east and multiple playoff rounds.

Going into 2015-16 season, our core consists of Lowry, DeRozan, Ross, Gay, Valanciunas, a big-ticket PF, plus two draft picks, likely drafted 15-20 range in 2014 and 2015. Fields and Johnson could both play their way into being keepers, but that would come at the cost of the big ticket PF, so I'd only keep them if we're already near contender status with the above core. This could be the season that both Miami and the Knicks begin to dismantle or at least retool, depending on their success, player satisfaction, and tolerance paying repeater taxes, so it leaves a window open.

The idea behind this strategy is that it's patient, it's allowing time for young guys like JV and Ross to grow, while surrounding them with talent that should be a playoff team. It's taking advantage of when the balance of power in the east is going to be shifting regardless, and it's not trying to fight the fact that we have some bad contracts on this team, but rather patiently waiting them out and taking advantage of the cap space that will eventually come. It gives Amir time to show whether he can actually consistently be a good starting PF, and if so it allows the team to focus resources elsewhere. It does place an emphasis on the importance of the guys we have reaching close to their full potential. JV needs to be a franchise center, Ross needs to become a better than .375 3pt shooter and effective defender, and Gay, DeRozan, and Lowry need to have major chemistry and develop a real trust in one another. And the GM (whoever that is) needs to bring in the right pieces to build around the core, and not get trigger happy and make trades for the sake of a splash.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        Is Telfair a better 3rd string than Lucas?
        Talent wise yes IMO. However Lucas is probably the more valuable player to have because of his shooting ability. So personally, if I'd have to pick one of the two to be a 3rd string PG, I'd pick Lucas.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Definite changes are needed, starting at the top with BC. At first, I was down with trading for pieces to get into the playoffs. BC messed it up (JO, Turk, Bargs) and Bosh walked. Then I was committed to a slow, lengthy rebuild through the draft. Then, as soon as we start acquiring some young talent, and with superstar talent on the horizon in Wiggins, BC messed that up too (Lowry, Gay, hanging onto Bargs for too long). As a fan, I can deal with any plan that results in success. The issue is that our plans are a) half-baked and b) never followed through to fruition. The team we have now is .500 or a bit better, good for 6th place in the east MAX. Carl Landry and MLE players are not going to alter that in a significant way. After that, we are looking at a serious decline, years of low draft picks (and management that doesn't have good scouting in place to use them effectively) and one-and-dones.

I am eternally patient for the raps. But we are just being yo-yo'ed between being very bad and being very mediocre 7 years in a row. The sad thing is, we were a few games and picks away from having a dazzling core before some idiot decided that one extra win in a lost season meant more than the future.

Comment

why do people want to fire casey? i still remembered how high we were on him two years ago.....i have no problem with him...as long as he is not trying to start anderson...whom btw...i would love to see DNP-coach's decision in the score box
            Last edited by blz; Tue Mar 12, 2013, 06:45 PM.

Comment

How do you feel about DC benching Valanciunas in the 4th quarter for our very own Aaron "The Blob" Gray?

Comment

Darien wrote: View Post
                How do you feel about DC benching Valanciunas in the 4th quarter for our very own Aaron "The Blob" Gray?
                The 4th quarter especially late 4th quarter is a time when team's can't afford mistakes. Experienced players are preferred on the floor. The reason I guess Anderson's presence on court is puzzling. Gray is more experienced than Jonas. So right now I prefer him.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                  Talent wise yes IMO. However Lucas is probably the more valuable player to have because of his shooting ability. So personally, if I'd have to pick one of the two to be a 3rd string PG, I'd pick Lucas.
                  I'd say they would be equal as third stringers, but I would take Telfair as the primary back-up if I had to choose from either, because he's miles ahead of Lucas in terms of running a TEAM. Not running to the 3-point line, and call that point guard play.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Telfair looks to make a pass as soon as he gets the ball unless he has an open look. That's what i like about him

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      I'd say they would be equal as third stringers, but I would take Telfair as the primary back-up if I had to choose from either, because he's miles ahead of Lucas in terms of running a TEAM. Not running to the 3-point line, and call that point guard play.
                      I'd like the back up PG to be a good passer and so I'd prefer Telfair over Lucas. For the 3rd stringer though, I prefer Lucas over Telfair because of his ability to score.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        Telfair looks to make a pass as soon as he gets the ball unless he has an open look. That's what i like about him
                        Me too.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Darien wrote: View Post
                          There's a DC interview posted on the Raps website right now, he talks about why he hasnt given much playing time to Ross and JV. Apparently, the two have numerous blunders on the court, not blunders that outright affect the game, but blunders the way DC sees them, since they are being asked to do certain things and not doing them properly or even not at all. He says that pulling them out and pointing out the mistakes to them is far better than letting them play through those mistakes, at this stage in their careers. I think it makes sense, considering these two still have a loooooong career ahead of them and will no doubt log heavy minutes much sooner rather than later.

Comment

Tweak.

Replace BC
                            Trade Bargnani for hopefully a star PF
                            Amnesty or trade Kleiza for a backup PG
                            Acquire role players to fill the bench

Comment

To add on the Glove's point, it should be mentioned that Casey said it was an easy unanimous decision among the coaching staff to go with Gray rather than JV. So it wasn't all on Casey

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                                There's a DC interview posted on the Raps website right now, he talks about why he hasnt given much playing time to Ross and JV. Apparently, the two have numerous blunders on the court, not blunders that outright affect the game, but blunders the way DC sees them, since they are being asked to do certain things and not doing them properly or even not at all. He says that pulling them out and pointing out the mistakes to them is far better than letting them play through those mistakes, at this stage in their careers. I think it makes sense, considering these two still have a loooooong career ahead of them and will no doubt log heavy minutes much sooner rather than later.
                                I'm all for that approach. The issue I have is that it seems like whenever he does that, they're out of the game for good. I would much rather see them come back later on within the same game, to try and play in the same game against the same opponents without making the same mistake(s).

Comment

Working...
                                X