Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suns get Thomas in a S&T, maybe ennis will be available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suns owner Robert Sarver was interviewed at half time of the Suns' summer league game last night. He said that the Suns intend to retain Bledsoe. More speculation from me: as teams with cap space to give Bledsoe a Hayward type offer sheet are dwindling due to free agency dealings, Bledsoe may opt for a one year deal and become a UFA next summer.

Comment

The Ennis ship has sailed. Guessing suns won't match A max deal for Bledsoe.

Suns got themselves a nice deal for Thomas but I question this signing. They can still run their 2 pg set but that's a huge drop off in defence. Huge.

Maybe they'll trade Dragic and keep Bledsoe?
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Insurance for Bledsoe. Probably somebody will be moved eventually. Similar to Lou Will in Tortonto. Less logjammed than our SG situation.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          The Ennis ship has sailed. Guessing suns won't match A max deal for Bledsoe.

Suns got themselves a nice deal for Thomas but I question this signing. They can still run their 2 pg set but that's a huge drop off in defence. Huge.

Maybe they'll trade Dragic and keep Bledsoe?
          I guess thats their agenda. considering Dragic is UFA next summer and is about to get PAID! they'd rather keep Bledsoe this summer even if its a max deal.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
            I guess thats their agenda. considering Dragic is UFA next summer and is about to get PAID! they'd rather keep Bledsoe this summer even if its a max deal.
            It's still odd. The reason the 2PG tactic works for them is because Dragic has good enough size to play SG to some degree. Having Thomas and Bledsoe is one small duo if they are thinking of using it in a similar way.

I just think PHX is crazy. I think they got lucky as hell last year when they accidentally succeeded when trying to tank. And I think the GM has no real clue how to build the team going forward.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              It is shaping up to be Kendall Marshall part deux
              Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.

This part excites me though. The Suns basically destroyed all value Kendall Marshall had. He went from 13th overall pick in the 2012 draft, to trade filler that was immediately waived in 2013 (Gortat trade). Which led to him being signed off waivers by the Lakers for $500K per year.

Marshall is not a bad player. He averaged 8 points and 9 assists per game for the Lakers last year. The Suns just didn't have any minutes for him and destroyed his value.

Hopefully the same thing happens with Ennis, and during the season or next offseason the Raps can get him for scraps.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                I would trade our 2015 1st rounder for Ennis. Then next year, use Vasquez more at the back up 2, and give Ennis some back up 1 minutes. (Next year is when we no longer have Lou)
                I'd even go next year's first and Lou for Ennis. I don't this a first alone would be enough. (Of course, this is assuming the Lou has any real value, which maybe he doesn't.)
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I am a bit surprised at the often mention need to acquire Ennis (and the price to be paid). I am a firm believer that at this time retaining our first rnd picks is an absolute must. Except of course if the acquisition is so relished. Now that we have both of our PGs re-signed for multiple yrs Ennis is not as much of a valuable need at least for this year imo. With the number of pgs the Suns have his value is bound to decrease and there will be better value to wait on him. If not there will be other opportunities I am sure to get the PG of the future either thru trade or even using the 1st next draft.

Edit: noticed that Primer above mentions the same.
                  Last edited by Bendit; Sun Jul 13, 2014, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    I am a bit surprised at the often mention need to acquire Ennis (and the price to be paid). I am a firm believer that at this time retaining our first rnd picks is an absolute must. Except of course if the acquisition is so relished. Now that we have both of our PGs re-signed for multiple yrs Ennis is not as much of a valuable need at least for this year imo. With the number of pgs the Suns have his value is bound to decrease and there will be better value to wait on him. If not there will be other opportunities I am sure to get the PG of the future either thru trade or even using the 1st next draft.
                    First round picks are nice but in 2016 we have two. Moving one in 2015 for a good player is a good idea. No use trying to hoard prospects if you are in contention.

Comment

Picks are always more valuable before they are used.

I agree with this despite wanting to have Ennis on the team.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        This signing suggests to me that the Suns are preparing to lose Bledsoe or trade Dragic. It really makes no sense. 4 years $27M seems like a lot for a backup PG. Can he operate in a 2 PG lineup with either of the above? If not, then I don't see how he gets the minutes necessary to justify the signing. Seems very odd, but I guess if Bledsoe or Dragic get moved than I would imagine they keep Ennis.
                        In case you hadnt noticed, we are paying GV $13mm over two years ... pretty similar money, so .....

Comment

Edit: noticed that Primer above mentions the same.
                          +1

I was a lot more intrigued by Ennis when the return of Lowry and GV was still up in the air. Now that the team has re-signed them, and landed another player capable of handling some PG duties in Lou Williams, I think it'd be a pretty poor use of assets to send a first round pick to Phoenix for Ennis.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Picks are always more valuable before they are used.

I agree with this despite wanting to have Ennis on the team.
                            I like Ennis as well but when you had obliquely (I think) made reference to Kendall M. believe the price will come down. I am in the patience camp....much can happen before next season thru the trading deadline.
                            Last edited by Bendit; Sun Jul 13, 2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                              In case you hadnt noticed, we are paying GV $13mm over two years ... pretty similar money, so .....
                              Term changes everything.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I like Ennis as well but when you had obliquely (I think) made reference to Kendall M. believe the price will come down. I am in the patience camp....much can happen before next season thru the trading deadline.
                                Patience camp makes the most sense. We have no pressing need for Ennis right now, and there is almost no way his value increases this year, as he will be getting zero minutes or playing in the D-League. It will most likely be cheaper and easier to deal for Ennis next offseason or later.

Comment

Working...
                                X