DJ Augustin signs 1-year Deal with Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Something to consider is with JV's emergence we might be going to a more traditional inside out game. Fewer touches for Gay and DeMar in iso situations. I'd expect the touches to be much more evenly split between the 3 options on offense (DD, Gay, JV), with DD and Gay still getting the bulk, but JV's touches in the post increasing.
    I completely agree.. but judging from the way Casey has used JV last year, I still see him as being the 4th option on the floor in Caseys eyes. And like I said, unless Casey stole some plays from Carlisle before he left, I'm not sure I trust Casey coaching in the half court.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Isn't it nice to see role players in Toronto finally getting paid like role players? They said it couldn't be done in Canada, but you did it MU.
      I love this comment. We are so used to having money thrown at likes of Kapono, Kleiza, Jack, Turk, Fields, that we've forgotten that there's something called negotiation when dealing with players. I have no doubt that Colangelo, if he had to deal with Augustin, would have offered him a two-year deal with a PLAYER option for next season.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        I completely agree.. but judging from the way Casey has used JV last year, I still see him as being the 4th option on the floor in Caseys eyes. And like I said, unless Casey stole some plays from Carlisle before he left, I'm not sure I trust Casey coaching in the half court.
        This is where the new assistant coach from the D-League comes in I hope. If he can expand Casey's play book on offense to something more than iso with Rudy or DeMar at the top of the 3 point line then it can only be a good thing. I'm feeling good about Casey's defense returning to form this season.

Comment

• I remember two years ago going on the trade machine and trying to figure out ways to get DJ for Jose in some way. The dude has dropped off hard in the last year. Writing was on the wall for DJ as soon as the Pacers signed CJ. I'm not excited about this signing at all but it's a one year deal and I can live with it.

This is going to be weird going into the season without a PG controversy of who should be starting.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
            This is going to be weird going into the season without a PG controversy of who should be starting.
            If DJ has a good Pre-Season, or Lowry has a Bad one, I'm sure the debate will be brought back to life around here. LOL

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
              Masai went out of his way to sign a guy that's spent his career on the bench. Don't you think that's slightly unusual? He obviously saw something in him that no one else did.
              I think all his signings so far fit with what his stated strategy for the season:

- start the season with the primary core of players intact from last season (ie: Gay, DeRozan, Lowry, Johnson)

- add talented young players with potential, without breaking the bank (hard to do given self-imposed hard cap) or commiting beyond this season

- return to DC's defense-first philosophy

- evaluate the roster throughout the first half of the season

- I think that there are 2 ways the season can unfold, both on and off the court:

Option #1
              - young players (ie: Valanciunas, Ross, Acy, Buycks) take a step forward in their individual development
              - top players (ie: Gay, DeRozan, Lowry, Johnson) take a step forward and become more consistent
              - young injured players (ie: Fields, Augustin) return to form
              - young role players (ie: Novak, Hansborough) provide solid depth
              - the team exceeds expectations and is in the heart of the playoff race, showing good signs of organic growth, team chemistry and renewed defensive prowess
              --> MU decides to make a run at the playoffs and only tweaks will be made to the roster

Option #2
              - the team stumbles out of the gate, the naysayers were proven right and the team looks more like a #10-12 seed than a #6-9 seed
              --> the core is blown up (ie: big name players traded for combination of young players and draft picks) by/before the trade deadline, allowing an all-out tank through the second half of the season (I think this is the type of thing TL was referring to in his "suck to be good" quote)
              --> signings like Hansborough and Augustin look like genius moves, as they can either be traded as assets with expiring contracts or let walk after the season (they are the ultimate extreme low risk / potential high reward in multiple ways type of signing)
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jul 18, 2013, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                Masai went out of his way to sign a guy that's spent his career on the bench. Don't you think that's slightly unusual? He obviously saw something in him that no one else did.
                Maybe we're giving Ujiri a little too much credit.

This signing could simply mean that we needed a backup PG (with NBA experience), and didn't want to spend/commit much money.

Comment

If DJ has a good Pre-Season, or Lowry has a Bad one, I'm sure the debate will be brought back to life around here. LOL
                  @timpchisholm: I also don’t think Augustin represents ANY kind of threat to Lowry. If he does, he’s either massively improved or Lowry ate a baby.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    There are still all sorts of all-star potential players in this draft.

Tanking is ridiculous when you support sending out Rudy Gay for 50Cent and Charlie V.

Tanking is smart when you get real assets and flexibility in return.

I kind of want to roundhouse all the Raptors fans in the throat who constantly suggest DD is going to become an All-Star or Gay is going to drop 25+ per game.

So line up mediocrity lovers. I'm not very limber but luckily I don't have to kick too high for most people.
                    DD is mad good G , trust if he gets his 3 going he will dominate . All raps need to be contenders is for JV to become an all star centre if we keep this roster going forward and jv develops and demar becomes better at the 3 we will be contenders in the east for sure
                    ya dun noe

Comment

• JV will be 2nd best centre in the league in 3 years after anthony davis
                      ya dun noe

Comment

• High hopes. I like the fact that he's a big man with big man skills. That's a breath of fresh air.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Maybe we're giving Ujiri a little too much credit.

This signing could simply mean that we needed a backup PG (with NBA experience), and didn't want to spend/commit much money.
                          True. My thinking was that there's a lot more PG's (such as Augustin) that were on the market and available for the minimum. Maybe because it was so out of the blue..
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            @timpchisholm: I also don’t think Augustin represents ANY kind of threat to Lowry. If he does, he’s either massively improved or Lowry ate a baby.
                            Seriously, there's no way Lowry loses the starting job to DJ...I can't imagine any situation where Lowry plays that badly, unless he shows up to camp not just 50 lbs too heavy, but also having shrunk by 4-5 inches.

Augustin's a pretty bad player. The thing is that the difference in talent is really not that high between most NBA backups. CJ Watson, sometimes considered one of, if not the top backup in the league (lets say top 3-5), is not that much better than Augustin in terms of skill. Shoots it better and has better size. But he also can't run an offense well at all, is not a good defender, and can be lazy (these last 2 are linked, since he has the tools to defend decently). Basically, the best thing about this signing is that the Raptors didn't invest more money they needed to in a player that would have not been that good no matter what.

The most I was willing to spend on a backup PG was basically exactly the deal Detroit offered Billups...2 years/5 million. This is also partly because of the "been there, done that" aspect with Jarrett Jack. After that, maybe some guys I would have gone over the minimum for, like Udrih, Watson, and Robinson, but even then I wouldn't offer them more than 2 million per (which would be hard to accept giving up even). I was kind of hoping AJ Price would wind up being the minimum contract guy, but I can't pretend he's a much better player than Augustin. Just feel like Price's career trajectory was moving up/positively off of last season, whereas Augustin looks like he's on the way down.
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Oh I completely agree.
                              Thats not to say someone won't bring it up as a serious point of conversation around here once DJ has one good game though.

Comment

• If Jerryd freakin' Bayless can spark debate, I'm sure Augustin is no different

Comment

Working...
                                X