ESPN 5 0n 5 Rookie Rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN 5 0n 5 Rookie Rank

3. Who has a brighter future: Jonas Valanciunas or Jan Vesely?
    Note: Valanciunas and Vesely finished in an exact tie.

Bret LaGree, Hoopinion: It's hard not to be impressed by the success the 19-year-old Jonas Valanciunas is having at Eurobasket. Plus, he's clearly a center. I'm not sure Jan Vesely, for all his athletic gifts, will be able to defend small forwards at the point of attack though his help defense could compensate for that overall.

Rob Mahoney, The Two Man Game: Valanciunas, and honestly it's a bit curious to me that Vesely managed a tie in the rankings. Neither player can create much with the ball in their hands at the moment, but Valanciunas' size and instincts make him a significantly more valuable player at this stage in their careers.

Brian Robb, Celtics Hub: Vesely. With the ability to play both forward positions, a polished post game on the block as well as being one of the highest-rated international prospects on the defensive end, the 6-foot-11 21-year-old gets the nod here. His shooting still needs work, but his form looks pretty, leaving me to believe it's a fixable problem.

Jonathan Santiago, Cowbell Kingdom: Vesely, only because he's playing alongside one of the NBA's best young point guards. John Wall and his playmaking skills are going to make the game a lot easier for Vesely.

David Thorpe, ESPN.com: Valanciunas might be the top prospect overall in this draft. Before his terrific play in the Eurobasket tournament this month against Europe's best players, he destroyed players his own age. He's got some Kevin Love talent mixed in, but he is also a pure scorer.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...okie-slottings

Once again Thorpe brings tha PAIN. I respect his opinion more than anyone here.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Thorpe was pretty high on Alabi too... the Raptors just may have the second coming of the twin towers

Comment

The big issue I have with Vesley is that he's 6'11, but he's a HORRIBLE rebounder for his size, so he can't play PF, and I question whether he's quick enough to defend SFs. If he can pattern his game after Kirilenko, then he might turn into something, but trying to be impartial here, I've got to pick Valanciunas by a mile. I've got to agree with Rob Mahoney, here. I don't see how the two are tied. Really the only question about Valanciunas is whether he's strong enough, and that's not much of a concern, since he's only 19 and will naturally get stronger, even without a lot of work, which he's probably going to put anyway.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I don't think the 19 versus 21 year old gets enough attention in this discussion. Those are 2 huge years in development.

Also when one considers the obvious need for improvement in JV's game (size, strength, polished post game) and, yet despite the needs for improvement, his display at EuroBasket I think the choice is pretty clear (granted I am more than a little biased).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I don't think the 19 versus 21 year old gets enough attention in this discussion. Those are 2 huge years in development.

Also when one considers the obvious need for improvement in JV's game (size, strength, polished post game) and, yet despite the needs for improvement, his display at EuroBasket I think the choice is pretty clear (granted I am more than a little biased).
          I agree. Another point is that despite Valanciunas' weaknesses, he should always be able to contribute. The bust factor isn't high at all. With Vesley it is. If he's a tweener, and can't defend PFs or SFs, then he's pretty much screwed.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Quicky, somebody order two seeing eye dogs to ESPN HQ...

Employee wrote: View Post
            http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...okie-slottings

Once again Thorpe brings tha PAIN. I respect his opinion more than anyone here.
            Brian Robb must be watching a different Vesely than the rest of us. Carmelo Anthony has a polished post game. Vesley is a jack of no trades on offense. On defense he's been so bad that opposing coaches in Europe have been exploiting his deficiencies by running iso on him. This is a high athleticism, low actual abilities type player. The kind of which many analysts drool over and then later when they bust, like most do, they end up scratching their heads and wondering what could have been if "such and such had happened". Then there's the fact that Val is a better player now than Vesley and he's two years younger. If Vesley has a Joey Graham type career he should be happy. Joey was touted as a great defensive prospect with high athleticism and he actually had some skills on offense even though he could only figure out how to tap those abilities two out of five games.

Jonathan Santiago on the other hand just phoned it in completely. John Wall will make life easier for Vesely so that means Vesely has the brighter future. Right and Travis Outlaw has a brighter future than Al Horford and I won't justify my statement in any other way than throwing out this weak ass statement: Deron Williams is an awesome PG and I can't even remember the name of the Hawks PG because honestly I don't care about the Hawks and besides, no one will remember this in a weeks time.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Brian Robb must be watching a different Vesely than the rest of us. Carmelo Anthony has a polished post game. Vesley is a jack of no trades on offense. On defense he's been so bad that opposing coaches Europe have been exploiting his deficiencies by running iso on him. This is a high athleticism, low actual abilities type player. The kind of which many analysts drool over and then later when they bust, like most do, they end up scratching their heads and wondering what could have been if "such and such had happened". Then there's the fact that Val is a better player now than Vesley and he's two years younger. If Vesley has a Joey Graham type career he should be happy. Joey was touted as a great defensive prospect with high athleticism and he actually had some skills on offense even though he could only figure out how to tap those abilities two out of five games.

Jonathan Santiago on the other hand just phoned it in completely. John Wall will make life easier for Vesely so that means Vesely has the brighter future. Right and Travis Outlaw has a brighter future than Al Horford and I won't justify my statement in any other way than throwing out this weak ass statement: Deron Williams is an awesome PG and I can't even remember the name of the Hawks PG because honestly I don't care about the Hawks and besides, no one will remember this in a weeks time.
              lol

Vesely = Joe Alexander

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                If he can pattern his game after Kirilenko, then he might turn into something, but trying to be impartial here, I've got to pick Valanciunas by a mile.
                The 1st thing I thought of when seeing Vesely highlights was Kirilenko too, who put up solid numbers even as a rookie.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  lol

Vesely = Joe Alexander
                  I think you're far closer to the truth. ESPN should be paying you Matt, not Jonathan Santiago.

Comment

Must admit I dont know about Vesely's instincts in this regard, but, the leadership qualities which JV brings to the table is huge for me and for a team like the Raptors who have that in very short supply...at least the demonstrable type. JV will probably start out a bit muted in this regard but seeing how his team (U19) responded to him and his demeanour with them during the tournament was quite visible.

Comment

Maybe when experts debate these two players, Vesely is the more emotional pick and Valanciunas is more cerebral. I think people see Vesely as the more exciting player. He certainly has more highlight reel style of play. Everyone loves seeing a good aerial show when he drives the lane and slams one down. Vesely/Wall combo could be very interesting. But there is no doubt that Valanciunas is the clear winner.
                      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Washington is smart, they drafted two SFs, Vesely and Singleton, that are good at what they do.

I see Singleton having a better career than Vesely down the line.
                        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

What does he do really well besides jump really high? Looking at the draft board, after Val was selected a project center was taken who might be 25 years old and then a large group of PGs went. This was more a case of drafting based on need instead of talent. Mark my words, Alec Burks who was taken six spots later will have a far better career than this guy. Hell, even if they took Kemba Walker that could have worked because John Wall is strong and athletic enough to take the SG assignment on defense.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            John Wall is strong and athletic enough to take the SG assignment on defense.
                            Maybe we should be question Wall's athletic ability, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usyNyn9Ang8

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Maybe we should be question Wall's athletic ability, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usyNyn9Ang8
                              Hahahah "That was Horrible."

Comment

Working...
                              X