Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    What are you basing that on?
    I'm basing it on the fact that he seems to be bringing players with good advanced stats and defensive cred, which seems a different direction that Andrea and DeMar.

I.e, since the DeMar draft and Hedo signing, meaning since Rucker was brought on board, he has drafted ED, JV, Ross and signed Fields and Lowry. All good advanced stats guys with good defensive reputations. He also hired Casey during this period.

I'd say the man has turned a new leaf.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
      I'm basing it on the fact that he seems to be bringing players with good advanced stats and defensive cred, which seems a different direction that Andrea and DeMar.

I.e, since the DeMar draft and Hedo signing, meaning since Rucker was brought on board, he has drafted ED, JV, Ross and signed Fields and Lowry. All good advanced stats guys with good defensive reputations. He also hired Casey during this period.

I'd say the man has turned a new leaf.

you don't think that could be partly to compliment the offensive talent they have on board?
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• my understanding of win shares is salary paid vs amount of wins generated? If I'm wrong I would love to educate myself. If you a link towards how that stat works.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Rank Player Team Minutes Position ADJ P48 WP48 Wins Produced
          1 Chris Paul New Orleans 2,865 1.00 0.401 0.309 18.45
          2 Dwight Howard Orlando 2,935 5.00 0.498 0.301 18.40
          3 Kevin Love Minnesota 2,611 4.22 0.500 0.335 18.24
          4 LeBron James Miami 3,063 3.19 0.370 0.270 17.21
          5 Dwyane Wade Miami 2,824 2.00 0.311 0.253 14.86
          6 Pau Gasol LA Lakers 3,037 4.79 0.422 0.234 14.81
          7 Steve Nash Phoenix 2,497 1.00 0.336 0.244 12.67
          8 Landry Fields New York 2,541 2.00 0.295 0.237 12.52

according to this stat Landry Fields generated 12.5 wins good for 8th in the league. I don't think this can be accurate. It doesn't pass the eye test.

Although the other seven seem like fair assessments Fields seems like an outlier. I am now curious as to what Liston thinks?

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
            Although the other seven seem like fair assessments Fields seems like an outlier.
            Yup. And note he's one of only two free agents on that list, the other being Nash.

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/07/06/th...et/#more-10922

The link above is what I was referring too, "value at minutes played," where he also places 2nd. No surprise since it's based on wins produced.

I completely agree that he is an outlier, the WP48 crowd thinks Reggie Evans belongs in the Hall of Fame, so I do not see him as the 2nd most valuable free agent on the market, but as I said, given his age, top 5 or so for sure. And given he fits the team needs and direction, this is a great signing. not just a good signing, a freaking great signing! Assuming NY doesn't match.

Best,

Comment

• In the ESPN Insider section:

Breakout free agents for 2012-13

Look for these six players to put up great numbers next season

Originally Published: July 7, 2012
              By Neil Paine | Basketball-Reference.com

Ah, the pitfalls of NBA free agency. If you target an established player, the odds are that you're paying for production they put up in the past, as a member of another team, not the performance you can expect from them going forward. Then again, take a flier on a young, untested player, and you never know what you might end up with.

The best-case scenario, though, would be to snag a player right as he's on the verge of a breakout season. You'd be paying for a résumé that still can't command big money, and the player's best years would be in the future. Of course, that's obviously a lot easier said than done -- every GM in the game would prefer to sign players before they break out.

Fortunately, we can use history as a guide to narrow down the list of free agents and identify potential 2012-13 breakout players.

First, what exactly is a "breakout season"? Everyone's mileage varies a bit, but for this study, my working definition was the first season of a player's career in which he posted either a 3.5 Value Over Replacement Player (according to Daniel Myers' plus/minus-based VORP system), 8.4 Estimated Wins Added (John Hollinger's wins created metric), or 7.0 Win Shares (Basketball-Reference's individual wins metric). (I picked those thresholds because they roughly correspond to the numbers it takes to rank among the league's top 50 players.)

Looking at the stats for players who began their careers after 1977, about 60 percent of breakout seasons take place at ages 22-25. Of those, more than half happen when a player is either 23 or 24. Also, 77 percent of breakout years happen in the first four years of a player's career, with 50 percent coming in either his second or third year. And in terms of production that portends a breakout, over 70 percent of breakout seasons were preceded by years with either 2 VORP, 4 EWA, or 4 WS (prorated to an 82-game schedule).

According to these benchmarks, here are the free agents most likely to break out in 2013:

Landry Fields
              2013 Age: 24 | 2012 Team: Knicks
              Interested teams: Toronto Raptors, Knicks

Although Toronto's three-year, $20 million "poison pill" offer sheet to Fields looks rather bloated, especially in light of Steve Nash's decision to spurn the Raptors and go to the Los Angeles Lakers, there's a reasonable chance he puts together a breakout year soon. Fields can be drastically overrated by the stats community's radical fringe for his rebounding and -- at least when he was a rookie -- his sky-high offensive efficiency (a number that was propped up by an incredibly low usage rate and the fact that 70 percent of his field goals were assisted), so let's dispel the laughable notion that Fields is a star.

Having said that, he's also much better than his lifetime 12.9 PER would have you believe. No, he's never going to be a scorer, but his 3-point and free throw shooting numbers should bounce back to more resemble his 2011 form, his defense is above-average (particularly against SFs), and his rebounding does add some value. Plus, like Mayo, he's durable, never having missed a game in his career thus far. At 24, he should continue to improve and peak as an above-average all-around player in the next few years.

It can be difficult to sign free agents before they have breakout seasons, but history says teams should target players going into their early-to-mid 20s, preferably after they've already established a decent baseline of statistical production in their first handful of years in the NBA. The players listed meet all of those criteria, which make them the best free-agent bets to break out in the 2012-13 season.

Comment

• I look forward to seeing what he brings

Comment

• That stat that he 70% of his scoring was unassisted is mind blowing
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    That stat that he 70% of his scoring was unassisted is mind blowing
                    You mean 70% of his scoring WAS assisted... insinuating "easier" baskets or that he doesn't create for himself.
                    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                    ― John Wooden

Comment

• ah i read that wrong. its not that bad the other way around, really.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        ah i read that wrong. its not that bad the other way around, really.
                        lol

change your logo to fields

Comment

• 1. Are the knicks gonnna match the fields offer, aaaand....
                          2. Are the raptors going to "introduce" Lowry and Fields tomorrow to the media and all that stuff?
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• From what I've heard, there's no way the Knicks will match

Comment

• i highly doubt they match landry's offer. It was only meant to block the knicks signing Nash. Financially it doesn't make sense either with Lin, Melo, Amare, Chandler, and Camby on books.

not sure about media procedure or when they take place. i assume they would want to introduce JVAl and Ross at the same time to no?

Comment

• JR Smith & Novak plan to re-sign with the NYK, which should all but guarantee that they don't match Toronto's offer for Fields (was probably very unlikely already).

Here's a link to the story on ESPN: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...ew-york-knicks

I hope BC is at least inquiring about making the signing a S&T deal... a 2nd round pick for Fields would also leave NYK with a $6.2M TPE, I believe... I wonder if that would be sufficient incentive for NYK to help Toronto out (especially since we didn't sign Nash as a result of the offer to Fields)?

Comment

Working...
                                X