OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    JR Smith & Novak plan to re-sign with the NYK, which should all but guarantee that they don't match Toronto's offer for Fields (was probably very unlikely already).

Here's a link to the story on ESPN: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...ew-york-knicks

I hope BC is at least inquiring about making the signing a S&T deal... a 2nd round pick for Fields would also leave NYK with a $6.2M TPE, I believe... I wonder if that would be sufficient incentive for NYK to help Toronto out (especially since we didn't sign Nash as a result of the offer to Fields)?
    It certainly makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• With a fat (and broken?) Baron Davis, and a rundown Bibby.. I'm pretty sure NY would love the idea of having some PG depth in case Lin goes down again. I think a dual S&T with Bayless/Fields makes a lot of sense for NY. Assuming of course Bayless doesn't mind playing for NY.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        With a fat (and broken?) Baron Davis, and a rundown Bibby.. I'm pretty sure NY would love the idea of having some PG depth in case Lin goes down again. I think a dual S&T with Bayless/Fields makes a lot of sense for NY. Assuming of course Bayless doesn't mind playing for NY.
        Aren't they signing Kidd to mentor Lin and provide PG depth? I think they'd rather have an MLE-sized TPE, than Bayless as a 3rd string PG.

Comment

• I've been playing with TheNBAGeek.com player comparison machine.

Check out this comparison:

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/co...011&player_ids[]=253&player_ids[]=98&player_ids[]=322&player_ids[]=3&player_ids[]=6&player_ids[]=220&player_ids[]=150&player_ids[]=67

In the comparison you will find Iguodala, Gay, Joe Johnson, James Johnson, Landry Fields, Dorell Wright, Wilson Chandler, and Josh Smith. Fields is #2.

For the statistically inclined, Fields is a total moneyball type signing.... except he is not getting paid spare change.

Comment

Aren't they signing Kidd to mentor Lin and provide PG depth? I think they'd rather have an MLE-sized TPE, than Bayless as a 3rd string PG.
            Oh right.. forgot about Kidd going to NY. Yes, the TPE makes a lot more sense.

Comment

JR Smith & Novak plan to re-sign with the NYK, which should all but guarantee that they don't match Toronto's offer for Fields (was probably very unlikely already).

Here's a link to the story on ESPN: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...ew-york-knicks

I hope BC is at least inquiring about making the signing a S&T deal... a 2nd round pick for Fields would also leave NYK with a $6.2M TPE, I believe... I wonder if that would be sufficient incentive for NYK to help Toronto out (especially since we didn't sign Nash as a result of the offer to Fields)?

Is there a benefit for us doing a sign and trade for fields vs signing him to the offer sheet other than the Knicks not matching? I'm clear on the fact that they get a TPE out of it, just unsure if doing a S&T gives us more options to acquire players

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                It certainly makes a lot of sense.
                I dont get it.

It would have to be on the same terms as the Raps offer wouldn't it? I can see that Fields bird rights get transferred in the s&t ( unsure of the rule here). And the big kicker is providing the Knicks with the TPE...which they can use to get better (helping the enemy). All to say why do it when all indications are we get him anyway as it stands.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                  I dont get it.

It would have to be on the same terms as the Raps offer wouldn't it? I can see that Fields bird rights get transferred in the s&t ( unsure of the rule here). And the big kicker is providing the Knicks with the TPE...which they can use to get better (helping the enemy). All to say why do it when all indications are we get him anyway as it stands.
                  Raps could sign Fields in a S&T using TPE after all other business is done.

That would allow the Raptors to use the cap space they currently have in another trade whereby they could take back up to $6.75M ($11M minus difference in Lowry/Forbes contract). They would also have MLE at disposal and would not have to renounce any players.

This is off the top of my head - if anything is wrong, let me know!

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Raps could sign Fields in a S&T using TPE after all other business is done.

That would allow the Raptors to use the cap space they currently have in another trade whereby they could take back up to $6.75M ($11M minus difference in Lowry/Forbes contract). They would also have MLE at disposal and would not have to renounce any players.

This is off the top of my head - if anything is wrong, let me know!

That makes alot of sense. Hope we can get NYK on board. Thanks for clarifying Matt.

Comment

• Thanks. You sure u dont have a pipeline to Coon? CalRaps too. Knicks are probably too pissed at BC to assist I think.

Comment

• I just got a reply from Larry Coon via Twitter, that said a S&T for Fields is still possible, as long as all 3 parties agree to it. NYK would get a TPE worth 50% of the value of the first year of Fields' new contract. If he was signed for $6.3M for the first year, NYK would get a $3.15M TPE, in addition to whatever other assets Toronto traded to them.

I hope BC pushes for a S&T, offering a 2013 2nd round pick as a 'thank you'.

NYK
                        - get a free 2nd round pick
                        - get a $3.15M TPE to potentially acquire another player even after they are over the cap and finished using their exceptions

TOR
                        - if the Lowry & Fields trades are done as the first two transactions, they would reach the salary cap via trades (as opposed to via free agent signings), allowing them to maintain their full MLE, as well as the $7.6M TPE they got for Barbosa
                        - wouldn't have to renounce Bayless or Gray (only players that really matter to Toronto, since Weems can't be used in S&T)
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Would they not have to use a portion of the 7.6. 7.6-3.15= a 4.45 remaining TPE for the raptors

Was our Bi annual used on Gray last year??

Also do we not require cap space for the Lowry deal(5.75-1.5) = 4.25 of salary taken on if we are above the cap. the TPE would help there
                          Last edited by jbml; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
                            Would they not have to use a portion of the 7.6. 7.6-3.15= a 4.45 remaining TPE for the raptors

Was our Bi annual used on Gray last year??
                            Yes you are right. They'd either have to use the TPE to acquire Fields in the S&T, or they'd have to renounce everybody they have a cap-hold for, to have approx. $12M cap space available (for Fields @ $6.3M & Lowry @ $5.75M). They can't maintain their player rights (ie: Bayless) AND the TPE. The MLE would be retained regardless, so long as Fields is acquired via S&T.

Comment

• With this 50% rule for Fields they could get both fields and Lowry for the TPE

But a tend to think now that we will have the MLE regardless as Matt has pointed out in the past. So I am unsure why we would give the knicks anything (3.15 TPE)

EDit : It may be Bayless's bird rights that we can maintain
                              Last edited by jbml; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
                                With this 50% rule for Fields they could get both fields and Lowry for the TPE

But a tend to think now that we will have the MLE regardless as Matt has pointed out in the past. So I am unsure why we would give the knicks anything (3.15 TPE)
                                The 50% rule has nothing to do with Toronto or the Barbosa TPE. It only comes into play if the Fields S&T is done while Toronto has enough cap space to sign Fields (ie: NOT using the Barbosa TPE). Since Toronto would be acquiring a player it could fully sign outright and NY is not taking any salary back, a brand new TPE would be created for NY. The value of the new TPE would be equal to 50% of whatever amount the first year of Fields' new contract is. I'm not sure why NY would only get a TPE worth 50% of Fields' new salary, instead of a full 100% (like Toronto did when they traded Barbosa to Indy, who had enough cap space to fully add his contract), but that's what Larry Coon confirmed.

Essentially, Toronto would have to do the Fields S&T first, while they still have at least $6.3M cap space available, in order for the new TPE to be created for NY.

The Lowry trade would have to be completed after the Fields S&T. Toronto would either have to use the Barbosa TPE to acquire Lowry, or would have to renounce enough free agents to clear up $4.25M cap space (Lowry's $5.75M - Forbes' $1.5M). To clear enough space, they'd have to renounce all cap-holds except Valanciunas & Ross (this includes Bayless & Gray).

Either way, as long as both Lowry & Fields are acquired via trade, Toronto would maintain the full MLE.
                                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X