How I See It Unfolding For Raptors Between Now and November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I See It Unfolding For Raptors Between Now and November

The Raptors now have 10 players under contract, 12 if you include their two draft picks

2010-11 Salaries
    -------------------------
    Turkoglu----$9,800,000
    Calderon----$9,000,000
    Bargnani----$8,000,000
    Evans-------$5,080,000
    Jack--------$4,860,000
    Banks-------$4,752,000
    DeRozan---$2,453,880
    Belinelli----$2,380,270
    Weems-------$854,389
    ----------------------------
    TOTALS:---$46,326,150
    Johnson------5,500,000 - Est for 2010-11 Based on 10.5% Ann Increases
    Davis---------1.599.300----Rookie scale for 2010-11 13th pick
    Alabi------------500,000----Estimate
    -------------------------------------
    Tot 12 Players-----$53,925,450
    Salary Cap Amt-----56,100,000
    -----------------------------------------
    Amt Under Cap------2,174,550
    ==================================

What I see happening
    ======================
    1. Turk will not get traded
    2. Calderon will not get traded unless it is for a better point guard.
    3. Evans and Banks who are in the last year of their contracts will not get traded unless one or both can be packaged with Calderon or unless they are moved at the trade deadline
    4. No one else will get traded.
    5. Bosh will walk to Miami without a S&T,

I see one possible trade for the Raptors Calderon and Evans total 2010-11 salaries of $14,080,000 for CP3 total 2010-11 salary of 14,940,152. The money matches and the Hornets could probably buy out Evans and save about $4 million in salary in 2010-11. They are in a cost cutting mode. Both Calderon and CP3's contracts expire in 2012-13 and in that year CP3 will make about $7 million more than Calderon so this deal would allow the Hornets to get a good PG and save millions in salaries over the next several years.

Assuming that the Calderon and Evans for CP3 deal is not made I think that most likely Calderon and Evans will be with the team come November.

The Raptors would then probably add a MLE player and either Dorsey or some other minimum salary player.

So bottom line other than moving Calderon and Evans for CP3 and the signing of a MLE player and minimum salary player I see the Raptors roster as being pretty well set.

The chances of me being correct on this is probably infinity to zero but what the heck, everyone else here has posted their idea of what will happen so I thought I would see if my luck continues on after calling the Johnson signing.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9302
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I don't think there's a chance in hell of that CP3 trade happening. Didn't the Hornets say last week they are not looking to trade him and they want to still build around him? They'd definitely want more in return if they were to explore the opportunity, probably some rookie contract guys with a good upside and maybe some expirings. Calderon is still overpaid at $9 mil per., so they wouldn't exactly be saving much and he's a lot older than CP3.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      5. Bosh will walk to Miami without a S&T,
      Everything above and including this line is plausible.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I think it's all plausible BUT expiring contracts are an asset and I fully expect Colangelo to move those assets to a team looking to clear cap. There are lots of sellers right now. Colangelo needs to take advantage of that. Letting those two contract expiring does nothing to help the on court product. The only people it helps is the owners.

I am hoping Bosh moves via a S&T. The trade exception and draft picks coming to Toronto makes sense. Bosh gets what he wants and the Raptors get some assets in return. That's in regards to teams with cap. I still think the best scenario sees Bosh going to a team without cap and the Raptors getting real players back in return who they like. Bosh holds all the card, cheers to hoping his choice helps the Raptors move on in the best way possible!
        Last edited by Apollo; Fri Jul 2, 2010, 11:26 AM.

Comment

"The Raptors would then probably add a MLE player and either Dorsey or some other minimum salary player." Only flaw with this is that under your scenario, the Raps are under the cap. They have to be over the cap to qualify for the MLE.

Comment

Good point LeeZ. This free agent class is deep and the Raptors still have the MLE and BAE. If they wait to use them they might get some bargain basement deals once the big money has been spent on all those max money players.

Comment

Sorry, the CP3 thing is not happening as you describe. The following (according to Chad Ford-ESPN) was nixed prior to the draft...

"ESPN.com's Chad Ford is talking free agency today but took a moment to describe the Trail Blazers' big deal that nearly was last week:

The Blazers got close to a deal with the Hornets last week that would've sent Andre Miller, Joel Przybilla, Nicolas Batum, Jerryd Bayless and the 22nd pick to NO for Paul before Jeff Bower pulled out of the deal saying that their owner wasn't ready to trade Paul. The trade they made on draft night got them out of the luxury tax, so that's no longer the issue. The issue is whether Paul is no unhappy enough to force a trade. Personally I think the Hornets can do better than that for Paul, but it's a viable deal."

Comment

I would say that I don't think Bryan will make trades for the sake of trades only if it makes the team better. Bryan said he's going to stay over the cap to keep the MLE- I expect someone like CHildress, Howard(wizards), barnes to be picked up to shore up the back up three and someone who might be able to slide over to the two if Demar and sonny struggle. Obviously thats why HOustons offer makes alot of sense but Bosh won't go their IMO.

Comment

Who does make trades for the sake of making trades?

Comment

New Orleans should take that deal because it would make them a better team and it gives them a tonne of talent in Bayless, Batum could be dam good. I don't see them getting any more talent then that trade.

Comment

Raps do not have the BAE. They used it last year on Nesterovic. They only gots the MLE - barring a zero return for Bosh.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Good point LeeZ. This free agent class is deep and the Raptors still have the MLE and BAE. If they wait to use them they might get some bargain basement deals once the big money has been spent on all those max money players.
                        the cba says they can`t use the BAE in 2 consecutive years hence the word `biannual` in the acronym. we only have our mle left if we are over the cap that is.

Comment

Yeah, Jeff already covered that part off above.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                            I see one possible trade for the Raptors Calderon and Evans total 2010-11 salaries of $14,080,000 for CP3 total 2010-11 salary of 14,940,152. The money matches and the Hornets could probably buy out Evans and save about $4 million in salary in 2010-11. They are in a cost cutting mode.
                            The Hornets may be in cost cutting mode, but Evans sure isn't in salary cutting mode. You gotta stop thinking that players will agree to a buyout for 40% (saving ~$4 mil would require the Hornets to save $3 mil of Evans' $5 mil salary via buyout) of their salary when there isn't a contract provision explicitly providing for that.

That aside, the Hornets will not trade Paul for Calderon + Evans. If they want to trade Paul, it will either be for better than that (either shorter deal than Calderon and/or picks/prospects).

And Alabi will get $700k+ in his first year.

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
                              "The Raptors would then probably add a MLE player and either Dorsey or some other minimum salary player." Only flaw with this is that under your scenario, the Raps are under the cap. They have to be over the cap to qualify for the MLE.
                              Actually, that's not how it works. Think about it, if you're literally over the cap, you can use the MLE, but if you're 0.5-4 mil below the cap, you can only use the remaining space? That would be a pretty dumb rule.

When determining whether a team has the MLE available, you take all the salary (~$54 mil in this case) and add in any applicable exceptions/cap holds. In this case, because the MLE would put them literally above the cap, they are deemed to be above the cap (even if they are truly $2 mil under) and they will be allowed to use the MLE. This happens all the time when a team is slightly under the cap (by less than the value of the MLE).
                              Last edited by Quixotic; Fri Jul 2, 2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X