Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential trade destinations for Lowry: Dec.12 - NY a match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Knicks bulls game was pathetic. We should auction off Lowry to them

Comment

• Bulls could use a DeRozan on their team. They need a scoring.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Chicago and Toronto might actually be able to do something.

Realistically the Raptors have some pieces that might make Chicago a better team this year while also taking them out of the luxury tax... which is a huge concern for the Bulls and the revenue sharing that goes along with it.

The issue with the Raptors is the hard cap of $75.75M and the Bulls are actually $7.5M over the luxury tax.

I'm in full on rebuild/tear down mode thinking there so bear with me:

1) Raps makes 3 deals with Atlanta first:
        a) DeRozan for Williams/Jenkins/2014 1st (top 5 protected)
        b) Vasquez for Schroeder
        c) Amir for Brand and Scott

Cuts $5M in salary, two great assets (prospect and pick), and $10M more in cap space this summer for Toronto; Atlanta gets much, much stronger.

2) With Atlanta deal done, Raptors call up Chicago:
        a) Lowry, Hansbrough, Daye, 2nd rd for Boozer, Charlotte 2014
        b) TPE for Hinrich

Raptors get a likely late lotto pick; Bulls get better in short term and save a whole lot of money (like $30+M).

Raptors lineup for rest of year:

PG: Hinrich, Schroeder, Buycks, Stone
        SG: Ross, Williams, Jenkins
        SF: Fields, Salmons, Scott
        PF: Boozer, Patterson, Novak
        C: JV, Brand, Hayes

*someone has to be waived.

That is a specTANKular lineup.

For 2014-15, only about $46M on the books.

Draft night Raps have own pick, Charlotte top 10 protected, and the better of BKN/ATL with enough financial flexibility to be a dumping ground for more prospects or picks.
        Same concept but substitute Cleveland and make it a three team deal (can be done on the 15th):

Cleveland: DeRozan, Novak, OKC 2014 2nd round pick
        Chicago: Lowry, Hansbrough, TOR/SAC 2014 2nd round pick
        Toronto: Boozer, Bennett, Gee, Felix, top10 protected 2014 from Cleveland or lower of 2015 MEM/CLE picks, lower of CHA/CHI 2014 pick

Chicago is about $1.7M away from getting under luxury tax so final trade:
        Vasquez for Hinrich (TPE used).

New Raptor specTANKular lineup:

PG: Hinrich, Buycks, Stone
        SG: Ross, Salmons, Felix
        SF: Bennett, Fields, Gee, Daye
        PF: Boozer, Amir, Patterson
        C: JV, Hayes

BONUS: No shortage of small ball lineups for Casey.
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Dec 12, 2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
          Bulls could use a DeRozan on their team. They need a scoring.
          speaking of which another coach besides Doc rivers that loves DeMar.

Comment

• I liked Matt's idea so much I had to run with it and try to maximize the return. I doubt ATL buys into the move he suggested, but CHI seems ripe for the picking in terms of salary relief. Their ownership is well known for being pretty frugal, and they might even win out in terms of short term talent in this deal, and they definitely win out in terms of flexibility for next year.

Moving Lowry in a package with Amir makes the most sense to me. The Bulls may even be interested if we can take enough salary off their hands. They are tax-payers right now and would probably love to get below that threshold.

The following deal saves them a lot of money. They are currently $8,818,834 over the tax.

CHI sends Boozer (15.3M), Hinrich (4.1M), Deng (14.3M), CHI 2014 1st rounder, CHA 2014 1st rounder, CHI 2014 2nd rounder (total salary $33,634,000)

TOR sends Lowry (6.2M), Johnson (6.5M), Fields (6.25M), Hansbrough (3.2M), Stone (0.8M), Daye (.9M) (total salary $23,975,200)

CHI can do the trade because they have less salary coming back. TOR can do the trade by breaking it up into two transactions. Hinrich gets absorbed into the TPE created by the Gay trade (4.6M size). The Raptors’ outgoing salary of 24M yields a maximum return of 125% or $30.1M – which fits the total $29.6M owed to Deng and Boozer.

CHI would have to waive two players on their current roster for the trade to go through. Assuming they waive James and Mohammed. That leaves them with 15 players. They save 9.7 million in this deal. That puts them below the tax threshold. That means they save the 9.7, as well as the tax bill on it (14.15M), plus get to receive a share of the tax being a non-taxpayer (about 2-3 M). That’s a total savings of about 26 million. That’s not including the money they save from waiving James and from potentially waiving Stone (an additional 1 to 1.5 M). Plus they then have gone 2 of 3 years out of the tax, putting a nice buffer on the repeater rate they otherwise would be looking at paying pretty soon.

Then next year, they save another 2.3 million if they waive Hansbrough and Daye, plus they have the expiring contracts of Amir and Fields (both useful players and great trade chips at that point).

Another great point for them is that CHI can structure it as Boozer + Hinrich for Raps players (19.4M * 1.25 = 24.3M) and Deng for nothing, meaning they get a TPE for 14.3 M. This would allow them to do a sign and trade for a max level player in the summer if they wiggle a bit to avoid the tax apron. Which should be easy, as the Raps aren’t asking for any picks past 2014, so in the summer they are free to trade any of their picks for flexibility or as part of the S+T.

Raps get bumped up to a total salary of 78 million, yielding a tax payment of 9.7M. So the move costs them about 21 million.

I like it. CHI loses no assets except the picks. Gains flexibility in the short and long term. TOR loses money and established talent, as well as cap flexibility next season, keep DD as a further trade chip or keeper, and gains two 2014 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.

I gotta say, I feel pretty great about getting that all to fit together. Get er done Masai. This is just the sort of deal deep-pockets ownership should be approving to put this franchise ahead of the game.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              I liked Matt's idea so much I had to run with it and try to maximize the return. I doubt ATL buys into the move he suggested, but CHI seems ripe for the picking in terms of salary relief. Their ownership is well known for being pretty frugal, and they might even win out in terms of short term talent in this deal, and they definitely win out in terms of flexibility for next year.

Moving Lowry in a package with Amir makes the most sense to me. The Bulls may even be interested if we can take enough salary off their hands. They are tax-payers right now and would probably love to get below that threshold.

The following deal saves them a lot of money. They are currently $8,818,834 over the tax.

CHI sends Boozer (15.3M), Hinrich (4.1M), Deng (14.3M), CHI 2014 1st rounder, CHA 2014 1st rounder, CHI 2014 2nd rounder (total salary $33,634,000)

TOR sends Lowry (6.2M), Johnson (6.5M), Fields (6.25M), Hansbrough (3.2M), Stone (0.8M), Daye (.9M) (total salary $23,975,200)

CHI can do the trade because they have less salary coming back. TOR can do the trade by breaking it up into two transactions. Hinrich gets absorbed into the TPE created by the Gay trade (4.6M size). The Raptors’ outgoing salary of 24M yields a maximum return of 125% or $30.1M – which fits the total $29.6M owed to Deng and Boozer.

CHI would have to waive two players on their current roster for the trade to go through. Assuming they waive James and Mohammed. That leaves them with 15 players. They save 9.7 million in this deal. That puts them below the tax threshold. That means they save the 9.7, as well as the tax bill on it (14.15M), plus get to receive a share of the tax being a non-taxpayer (about 2-3 M). That’s a total savings of about 26 million. That’s not including the money they save from waiving James and from potentially waiving Stone (an additional 1 to 1.5 M). Plus they then have gone 2 of 3 years out of the tax, putting a nice buffer on the repeater rate they otherwise would be looking at paying pretty soon.

Then next year, they save another 2.3 million if they waive Hansbrough and Daye, plus they have the expiring contracts of Amir and Fields (both useful players and great trade chips at that point).

Another great point for them is that CHI can structure it as Boozer + Hinrich for Raps players (19.4M * 1.25 = 24.3M) and Deng for nothing, meaning they get a TPE for 14.3 M. This would allow them to do a sign and trade for a max level player in the summer if they wiggle a bit to avoid the tax apron. Which should be easy, as the Raps aren’t asking for any picks past 2014, so in the summer they are free to trade any of their picks for flexibility or as part of the S+T.

Raps get bumped up to a total salary of 78 million, yielding a tax payment of 9.7M. So the move costs them about 21 million.

I like it. CHI loses no assets except the picks. Gains flexibility in the short and long term. TOR loses money and established talent, as well as cap flexibility next season, keep DD as a further trade chip or keeper, and gains two 2014 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.

I gotta say, I feel pretty great about getting that all to fit together. Get er done Masai. This is just the sort of deal deep-pockets ownership should be approving to put this franchise ahead of the game.
              I dont think CHI is abandoning every single pick this year. Would we have given up picks to move Gay for the crap we got in return?

If we include Derozan and Ross then MAYBE they even consider this.

Especially at this point in time when they're evaluating how the team is performing with a single season tank as a possiblity
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I completely agree that Chicago seems like a logical trade partner, for a package centered around Lowry & Amir - Boozer & 1 or 2 2014 1st round picks.

I lost you though with the inclusion of Deng and then Fields. As a good player and an expiring contract, Deng is not in the same league as Boozer. I assume Chicago views him as much more of a positive asset, likely trying to get a 1st round pick for him (probably with a prospect, as an initial offer). I think they'd rather just keep Deng and try to re-sign him, than replace him with Fields for a season-and-a-half.

I do think they could be a landing spot for Lowry, but not as a replacement for Hinrich. Chicago needs both of them this season, given Rose's injury and Teague's ineffectiveness. The great thing for Chicago is that both Lowry & Hinrich are expiring, giving them all sorts of options in the offseason: let both walk, let one walk and re-sign one as Rose's backup, S&T one or both of them.

I really think it could be simplified to get Chicago's attention:

To Chicago
                - Lowry
                - Johnson
                - Hansborough and/or Novak and/or OKC's 2014 2nd round pick (any that Chicago has interest in)

To Toronto
                - Boozer
                - Chicago 2014 1st round pick (could even be 1-5 protected or something like that)
                - Charlotte 2014 1st round pick (1-10 protected)
                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Dec 12, 2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Just a reminder. Bennett is a PF, the reason why he is having a shitty year is that Cleveland is trying to play him as a SF

Comment

• DeRozan + D.Rose? that's one hell of a backcourt.

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                      DeRozan + D.Rose? that's one hell of a backcourt.
                      The more I think about it the more I realize how much a trade with Chicago makes sense especially if it's DeMar and amir getting sent over. Look at how depleted they are because of injuries, DeMar and amir are never injured. They're about as durable as they come, tell me thibs wouldn't want to add 2 guys to his team that he knows will play 80games....
                      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                      Because its 2015

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                        The more I think about it the more I realize how much a trade with Chicago makes sense especially if it's DeMar and amir getting sent over. Look at how depleted they are because of injuries, DeMar and amir are never injured. They're about as durable as they come, tell me thibs wouldn't want to add 2 guys to his team that he knows will play 80games....
                        It might get them through this year but it does nothing to help them sign Mirotic this summer. They'll be left with just MLE. He has said he can make more than that in Europe.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          I completely agree that Chicago seems like a logical trade partner, for a package centered around Lowry & Amir - Boozer & 1 or 2 2014 1st round picks.

I lost you though with the inclusion of Deng and then Fields. As a good player and an expiring contract, Deng is not in the same league as Boozer. I assume Chicago views him as much more of a positive asset, likely trying to get a 1st round pick for him (probably with a prospect, as an initial offer). I think they'd rather just keep Deng and try to re-sign him, than replace him with Fields for a season-and-a-half.

I do think they could be a landing spot for Lowry, but not as a replacement for Hinrich. Chicago needs both of them this season, given Rose's injury and Teague's ineffectiveness. The great thing for Chicago is that both Lowry & Hinrich are expiring, giving them all sorts of options in the offseason: let both walk, let one walk and re-sign one as Rose's backup, S&T one or both of them.

I really think it could be simplified to get Chicago's attention:

To Chicago
                          - Lowry
                          - Johnson
                          - Hansborough and/or Novak and/or OKC's 2014 2nd round pick (any that Chicago has interest in)

To Toronto
                          - Boozer
                          - Chicago 2014 1st round pick (could even be 1-5 protected or something like that)
                          - Charlotte 2014 1st round pick (1-10 protected)
                          I'm sure they would like to keep Deng. But the deal isn't about talent (though they do get players like Fields, Amir, Lowry who would look great on a Thibs team), but about saving them 26 million dollars. Your deal has them likely taking on salary and losing picks. Why would they do that?
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm sure they would like to keep Deng. But the deal isn't about talent (though they do get players like Fields, Amir, Lowry who would look great on a Thibs team), but about saving them 26 million dollars. Your deal has them likely taking on salary and losing picks. Why would they do that?
                            CHI isn't Milwaukee though. They aren't going to take that opportunity just to save some money. Deng has no long term commitment, and Thibs is a huge fan of him. For them to trade him away for nothing, they're announcing the tank. They would keep their picks if they do this.

They want to get rid of Boozer way more, since they are committed to him for 20 mil next year, when Rose comes back. If they trade him, they have the opportunity to sign a more effective max contract player to partner with Rose when he's healthy.
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

My deal (if just Amir & Lowry) would save Chicago $2.6M this season and $9.8M next season (less if Lowry is re-signed). If a 2nd round pick were included, Chicago would lose one pick and downgrade another pick, in exchange for 2 good players and the dumping of Boozer's contract.

In addition to the $9.8M in savings from the deal, they'd also have Deng ($14.28M) - barring a another trade - and Hinrich ($4.06M) coming off the books. That is a total of $28.14M less salary, meaning about $7.53M cap space available in the offseason (they are $20.61M above cap currently). They'd also be able to use Deng, Lowry & Hinrich as S&T assets.

They could easily turnaround and trade Deng in a much better deal with somebody else, if they want to dump his salary this season as well.

It was the inclusion of Deng in your deal that I balked at. Boozer is a bad contract that they will need to sweeten-up in order to dump ($16.8M next season). Deng is young, better and expiring; he isn't about to get 'dumped', but rather cashed-in much like Toronto would be doing with Lowry. I just think you severely undervalued Deng when the net-effect of your deal was analyzed.
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• How about this?
                                http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kgumjer + Milwaukee's first round pick

Comment

Working...
                                X