Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I actually like this trade as well. I think it would be awesome to add these two vets who are still very capable of leading and putting the team on their shoulders.

I do have a couple of concerns. Lets say with these two guys the Raps do make a run, im not saying championship but a very high possibility past the first round. after the season, both go off the books. big cap space, but how would they be able to attract a big name FA when two big FAs just left the team? Im assuming both wont resign, actually im hoping both dont resign because Pierce is going to be 37 and Gasol 33. Unless JV, Ed, Ross, Lowry play spectacularly next season and show that they can handle the reigns, i still dont think a big name FA will be able to look at the remaining pieces and say, me and this group can be contenders.

If the Raptors do get Gay and Gasol, and the Raps make it past the 2nd round next season, there is a bigger possibility that Gay will resign and the Raptors can welcome this with open arms since gay is only 26 (i know not too young but at least younger than 37) and would have enough credibility in the league to pull other big name FAs in.
    This is the thing I think people don't get. No one, Rudy Gay included, will re-sign unless young guys develop. What good is getting Rudy Gay if in 3 seasons, our young players aren't as good as we hoped? Then what good would it do to re-sign Gay (reasonable contract or not), especially if you believe as I do, that he's not a franchise player either??...probably also suited to being a 3rd option, maybe 2nd option. If that happens...we're going to be doing the exact same thing as we did with VC and Bosh, but with A WORSE TALENT. We need our young guys to develop as hoped. If not, this won't be an attractive destination even with Gay.
    It may take them more than just until next year, but still, I think it's much better for the team in the long run.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
      .... Seriously? just cant give up that golden boy can we? might as well trade Ross for Brandon Roy and have a happy ol 06 draft reunion.
      Bryan could create his 2006 draft fantasy team:

Trade 1:
      http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=akpqx9h

Trade 2:
      http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=asfasyf

Try to get Sheldon Williams and Patrick O'Bryant from Europe, then waive both Pietrus and AA and you get the following lineup:

Lowry/Foye
      Reddick/Roy/Sefolosha/Ross
      Gay/Brewer/Williams
      Bargnani/Millsap
      JV/POB

That's a playoff team right there

Comment

• japetas wrote: View Post
        Bargnani coming back later this week or early next week. Look, he isn't that bad. I have nothing against him staying at Toronto, he's above average PF in the league, just needs to shot less forced shots, maybe he could play off the bench...
        Just try to forget his salary and his crappy plays this year, he had some great moments too

not about him being bad...just long past time they change things up and get him out of here. I really think he could thrive easily in the right place, as a 3rd or 4th option, possibly as a 6th man.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
          I actually like this trade as well. I think it would be awesome to add these two vets who are still very capable of leading and putting the team on their shoulders.

I do have a couple of concerns. Lets say with these two guys the Raps do make a run, im not saying championship but a very high possibility past the first round. after the season, both go off the books. big cap space, but how would they be able to attract a big name FA when two big FAs just left the team? Im assuming both wont resign, actually im hoping both dont resign because Pierce is going to be 37 and Gasol 33. Unless JV, Ed, Ross, Lowry play spectacularly next season and show that they can handle the reigns, i still dont think a big name FA will be able to look at the remaining pieces and say, me and this group can be contenders.

If the Raptors do get Gay and Gasol, and the Raps make it past the 2nd round next season, there is a bigger possibility that Gay will resign and the Raptors can welcome this with open arms since gay is only 26 (i know not too young but at least younger than 37) and would have enough credibility in the league to pull other big name FAs in.
          Also, you overestimate free agency a bit, and underestimate trades (in context with this team). Assuming BC is still our gm, I'd much rather he has two massive expiring contracts to work with. And who knows, if we miss the playoffs this year and relinquish our pick to OKC, a trade next year of one of those guys + our draft pick might go a long way to getting a better player than Rudy Gay back in a trade. Or even be flipped at a later time for Gay, without giving up JV, Ed or Ross. Free agency is overrated(especially when BC's the GM). Much more likely to use it to round out a roster than build a core.
          Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Anybody seen or read any new news on the Rudy Gay trade rumours? I know at this time Toronto is looking for a 3rd team suitor.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              Anybody seen or read any new news on the Rudy Gay trade rumours? I know at this time Toronto is looking for a 3rd team suitor.
              That's about it at this point. Don't hold your breath, if there is a deal it'll probably be closer to the deadline IMO.

Comment

• Why does Ed have to go
                Take bargnani instead!

Comment

• I predict something going down by Feb 10th gives teams more time to get desperate, on the negative however it means Memphis may say what are we smoking? we have a good team here and call off the trade again.

How things are going though I wouldnt be surprised if it happens sooner than people think, Raps are really pushing and moves are being made to get it done soo there is a reason to be optimistic as well. #Gay2013 LOL

Comment

• So after thinking about this for...longer than I'd like to admit...this is the 'third team facilitator' trade that makes, I believe, the most realistic sense.

Toronto gets: Rudy Gay and Tony Wroten

Memphis gets: Ed Davis and Shawn Marion

Dallas gets: Jose Calderon and Alan Anderson

I think this is a pretty fair trade for every team involved. Hollinger would love it for the net PER benefit; Dallas gives up a solid but aging SF for a slightly less solid, cheaper SF and a solution to their PG problems; Toronto gets their man, and a stop-gap replacement for Calderon; and finally, Memphis gets the salary relief they were looking for while upgrading their defence and not significantly hurting their playoff chances (imo).

It checks out on Trade Machine if you were wondering: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=byrjpss

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Why does Ed have to go
                      Take bargnani instead!
                      That's like asking "why do I have to give my hard earned money to pay for this new car? why can't I just give you a hug instead and be done with it?"
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
                        So after thinking about this for...longer than I'd like to admit...this is the 'third team facilitator' trade that makes, I believe, the most realistic sense.

I think this is a pretty fair trade for every team involved. Hollinger would love it for the net PER benefit; Dallas gives up a solid but aging SF for a slightly less solid, cheaper SF and a solution to their PG problems; Toronto gets their man, and a stop-gap replacement for Calderon; and finally, Memphis gets the salary relief they were looking for while upgrading their defence and not significantly hurting their playoff chances (imo).

It checks out on Trade Machine if you were wondering: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=byrjpss
                        Interesting. Personally I like it.

Comment

So after thinking about this for...longer than I'd like to admit...this is the 'third team facilitator' trade that makes, I believe, the most realistic sense.

This to me, is the best trade I have seen to get Rudy to Toronto.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                            +1!

Comment

• Don't see this trade doing much for the team. I think Gay's play this year is marginally better than AA, and even that can be argued. So the improvement at SF, assuming Gay plays like his is currently playing for Memphis, is marginal.

We then lose Jose and Davis. I can't see many wins for us, and I can't see Gay being happy. Not really sure why this tread is being made, I know some people want a star, but I don't think Gay is much of one.

I think we will screw the team royally if we pull this deal.

Comment

• Red and White wrote: View Post
                                Agreed. Not only Toronto getting Gay, but Memphis & Dallas getting some good deals in this.

Comment

Working...
                                X