Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red and White wrote: View Post
    This to me, is the best trade I have seen to get Rudy to Toronto.
    I don't think it solves the issues Memphis is looking to address with a Gay trade. They lack wing depth, shooting, and financial flexibility. Ed and Marion - assuming he picks up his $9M - also count for a little over $12M for next season while addressing none of the needs management has identified as issues.

I do like the trade, fwiw. Just don't think it addresses Memphis' reasons for trading Gay.

Comment

• sweet chocolate jesus christ on crutch would this trade go through already so I can stop checking hoopshype and twitter every ten god damn minutes
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
        So after thinking about this for...longer than I'd like to admit...this is the 'third team facilitator' trade that makes, I believe, the most realistic sense.

Toronto gets: Rudy Gay and Tony Wroten

Memphis gets: Ed Davis and Shawn Marion

Dallas gets: Jose Calderon and Alan Anderson

I think this is a pretty fair trade for every team involved. Hollinger would love it for the net PER benefit; Dallas gives up a solid but aging SF for a slightly less solid, cheaper SF and a solution to their PG problems; Toronto gets their man, and a stop-gap replacement for Calderon; and finally, Memphis gets the salary relief they were looking for while upgrading their defence and not significantly hurting their playoff chances (imo).

It checks out on Trade Machine if you were wondering: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=byrjpss
        It's not bad, but I'm not sure whether or not Memphis would want to include Wroten. They want to slash payroll and grow their stable of good, young, cheap talent.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
          sweet chocolate jesus christ on crutch would this trade go through already so i can stop checking hoopshype and twitter every ten god damn minutes
          lol +1000

Comment

• Does anyone have ANY idea which player is going to Memphis? Rumour is, that the player is a prospect wing from Toronto (Derozan/Fields/Ross), & Toronto is trying to find a 3rd team to grab BOTH Davis/Calderon.

I tried asking Wolstat about it, and didn't give much.

Although, apparently there is no true frame-work of this deal, just discussions and an agreement on a reason for trade and the players being traded.

Ugh. I want Rudy Gay on this team NOW.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• My prediction is that this team will get gutted shortly after they make the Gay trade. Bryan will be fired/let go, and there will be little hope for us until Gay is off the books.

I don't see how what is coming in, is going to make up for what is going out.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I don't think it solves the issues Memphis is looking to address with a Gay trade. They lack wing depth, shooting, and financial flexibility. Ed and Marion - assuming he picks up his $9M - also count for a little over $12M for next season while addressing none of the needs management has identified as issues.

I do like the trade, fwiw. Just don't think it addresses Memphis' reasons for trading Gay.
                Yeah no one said it was perfect. I think Memphis would still want a pick in that, and the deal could/would probably be expanded to fit the teams needs better. I just really like Dallas as that third team. Dallas also has a Chris Kaman on an 8 million dollar expiring contract who could back up a Marc Gasol very well, and they have Beaubois which the Raptors could take if Memphis did not want to give Wroten.

One thing to criticize about the Memphis-Cleveland deal: as you said, they need wing shooting, depth and financial flexibility, yet they traded away Wayne Ellington, who is a solid wing shooter on a beyond reasonable contract.

Comment

• BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                  My prediction is that this team will get gutted shortly after they make the Gay trade. Bryan will be fired/let go, and there will be little hope for us until Gay is off the books.

I don't see how what is coming in, is going to make up for what is going out.
                  You don't seem to be very high on Rudy Gay. Why is that? He was playing at pure all-star level before the shoulder injury. Actually, last season he was playing very well too. Many thought he was an all-star snub.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Red and White wrote: View Post
                    Yeah no one said it was perfect. I think Memphis would still want a pick in that, and the deal could/would probably be expanded to fit the teams needs better. I just really like Dallas as that third team. Dallas also has a Chris Kaman on an 8 million dollar expiring contract who could back up a Marc Gasol very well, and they have Beaubois which the Raptors could take if Memphis did not want to give Wroten.

One thing to criticize about the Memphis-Cleveland deal: as you said, they need wing shooting, depth and financial flexibility, yet they traded away Wayne Ellington, who is a solid wing shooter on a beyond reasonable contract.
                    Kaman substituted for Marion I could totally see. Unfortunately, Kaman is now injured with a concussion.

Comment

• I think people have built a fantasy for themselves that BC is going to keep the trades rolling and dump off bargs. I bet he doesn't. That is his boy and nobody wants him. Starting lineup will be KL/DD/RG/AB/JV and will be awful. His first priority should have been to dump bargs for any SF and then get anything for JC instead of dumping off the only raptor that has made a quantum leap in his game from one season to the next in 17 years. I would prefer KL/DD/??/ED/JV as a lineup.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                        sweet chocolate jesus christ on crutch would this trade go through already so I can stop checking hoopshype and twitter every ten god damn minutes
                        +1 Million. This is nerve racking shit

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          You don't seem to be very high on Rudy Gay. Why is that? He was playing at pure all-star level before the shoulder injury. Actually, last season he was playing very well too. Many thought he was an all-star snub.
                          Plus he's a key part of a great team in the west..

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            This is the thing I think people don't get. No one, Rudy Gay included, will re-sign unless young guys develop. What good is getting Rudy Gay if in 3 seasons, our young players aren't as good as we hoped? Then what good would it do to re-sign Gay (reasonable contract or not), especially if you believe as I do, that he's not a franchise player either??...probably also suited to being a 3rd option, maybe 2nd option. If that happens...we're going to be doing the exact same thing as we did with VC and Bosh, but with A WORSE TALENT. We need our young guys to develop as hoped. If not, this won't be an attractive destination even with Gay.
                            It may take them more than just until next year, but still, I think it's much better for the team in the long run.
                            First of all, ive pretty much given up on the whole franchise player bit when it comes to Toronto. No luck in the draft and have never persuaded one to sign through FA.

secondly, acquiring rudy gay IMO is preempting that these young guys do develop and possibly form the core of this team, with Gay as one of the anchors. If they do not show improvement with Gay next year, he can be made available as an expiring. What im saying is in comparison to Pierce, the possibility of resigning and continuing the building of the core of this group is better with Gay.

I dont think its the exact same thing with VC or Bosh. VC already had pieces around him, GM just botched what they already had. With Bosh, they considered him as a franchise player and kept semi-rebuilding around him. With Gay, i dont see it as acquiring a franchise player, and i think thats what sets off people when it comes to this trade. Gay is not a player who the Raps had in mind when they draft Ed, or JV or Ross or traded for Lowry. They were not readying this roster for Gay's arrival. It just so happened that a player like Gay, who IMO is the type of player that the Raps currently need to fill a gaping hole, and the Raps probably share this sentiment since theyre trying their darndest to acquire him, is suddenly available.

When VC signed the extension, how were the Raps able to convince him to sign that? Of course by promising to get the necessary pieces to help him win. When Bosh signed the extension, how were the Raps able to convince him to sign that? Of course by promising to get the necessary pieces to help him win. Dont you think theyd do the same when time comes for Gay to resign? And the good thing about it is on paper, he can see that this team has the pieces to be a good team, with him in it.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                              That's like asking "why do I have to give my hard earned money to pay for this new car? why can't I just give you a hug instead and be done with it?"
                              No its not. That's a terrible comparison

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                No its not. That's a terrible comparison
                                It just means we're trying to get something of value (Gay....or car) in exchange for something with no value (Bargnani....or hugs). lol

Comment

Working...
                                X