Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can or should Raptors make a push to acquire the #1 Pick this Year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    The #1 pick may turn into a super-star but it won't happen overnight, and I think the Wolves will want overnight success. They are not in a very good situation over there. I wouldn't be surprised if they held on to Love to be honest, and they do a S&T next season when he does give up his player option.
    If they don't think Love is going to stay, then a sign-and-trade makes no sense because they'll get less assets. You're basically suggesting that their gameplan is to make Bryan Colangelo's mistake with Chris Bosh, except worse.

Comment

I don't believe that they are. 10 years without the playoffs for a small market team is rough. Would they really want to rebuild and be out of the playoffs for another 2-3 years?

The #1 pick may turn into a super-star but it won't happen overnight, and I think the Wolves will want overnight success. They are not in a very good situation over there. I wouldn't be surprised if they held on to Love to be honest, and they do a S&T next season when he does give up his player option.
      What trade takes them into the playoffs in the west...none

Love is probably better than whatever return they can get for him so there is no way they can make the playoffs.
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

imo we got the assets but i dont wanna trade our assets/core for an unproven player.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
          If they don't think Love is going to stay, then a sign-and-trade makes no sense because they'll get less assets. You're basically suggesting that their gameplan is to make Bryan Colangelo's mistake with Chris Bosh, except worse.
          I'm not suggesting it is a smart strategy.. but probably one that Minnesota will consider. A disgruntled player is never good.. but the Wolves will have a better shot of making the playoffs with him than without him - especially if they only get draft picks and prospects for him.. and most teams might not be willing to clear their cupboards for a rental who's already admitted that he will test free agency no matter where he plays.

And even if Love does depart they can get a TPE (which is nice considering it will be around $15M) or at that time a mix of veterans/picks/prospects anyway once they know the team he's ready to sign long term with.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
            What trade takes them into the playoffs in the west...none

Love is probably better than whatever return they can get for him so there is no way they can make the playoffs.
            Depends on the all-star. What if Atlanta was willing to give up Horford for him? DD was the all-star on a 48 win team. He's also in his prime. Gets a lot of flack on this board but Minnesota might think he'd be able to get them to the playoffs in the West considering the lack of quality shooting guards in the league.

I think the smarter strategy is for them to bite the bullet and just suck for another 2-3 years.. but I'm just a fan that isn't making a dime if they fail or succeed. There has to be a lot of pressure from ownership to win.. and when that happens bad decisions get made.

Comment

I'm not suggesting it is a smart strategy.. but probably one that Minnesota will consider. A disgruntled player is never good.. but the Wolves will have a better shot of making the playoffs with him than without him - especially if they only get draft picks and prospects for him.. and most teams might not be willing to clear their cupboards for a rental who's already admitted that he will test free agency no matter where he plays.

And even if Love does depart they can get a TPE (which is nice considering it will be around $15M) or at that time a mix of veterans/picks/prospects anyway once they know the team he's ready to sign long term with.
              But there's no guarantee that a sign and trade even happens. If a team has cap space, why would they send assets? Remember, the new CBA eliminated all the reasons a player might hold out for a sign and trade, so it would come down to hoping that Love decides to go to a team over the cap, or pushes for a sign and trade out of loyalty to the team - which seems unlikely considering.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                But there's no guarantee that a sign and trade even happens. If a team has cap space, why would they send assets? Remember, the new CBA eliminated all the reasons a player might hold out for a sign and trade, so it would come down to hoping that Love decides to go to a team over the cap, or pushes for a sign and trade out of loyalty to the team - which seems unlikely considering.
                Even teams that can sign outright would typically agree to a S&T so that they don't have to renounce the rights to their free agents.. but you do have a point. There is a possibility that he can sign with another team without Minnesota seeing a dime. It's an interesting story this summer.. I hope for Minnesota fan's sake that they get a King's ransom for him and that they start a proper rebuild. But I'm not betting on that happening.

Comment

Depends on the all-star. What if Atlanta was willing to give up Horford for him? DD was the all-star on a 48 win team. He's also in his prime. Gets a lot of flack on this board but Minnesota might think he'd be able to get them to the playoffs in the West considering the lack of quality shooting guards in the league.

I think the smarter strategy is for them to bite the bullet and just suck for another 2-3 years.. but I'm just a fan that isn't making a dime if they fail or succeed. There has to be a lot of pressure from ownership to win.. and when that happens bad decisions get made.
                  if they cant win with love they cant win with derozan or horfard. Smartest thing to do is just get lots of prospects/pick
                  I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Even teams that can sign outright would typically agree to a S&T so that they don't have to renounce the rights to their free agents.. but you do have a point. There is a possibility that he can sign with another team without Minnesota seeing a dime. It's an interesting story this summer.. I hope for Minnesota fan's sake that they get a King's ransom for him and that they start a proper rebuild. But I'm not betting on that happening.
                    They would have to renounce the rights if they want to use cap room to absorb a player.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                    X