Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I see an issue with defensive effort (or lack thereof). Sure, Patterson's effort could be somewhat contagious, and his mere presence in the rotation will minimize the #caseyeffect.

But again, a lot of holes, a lot of breakdowns, and a lot of miscommunications....and we're approaching 2 months of it. Lots of bad habits that will need to be broken in a short time between now and April. This likely won't be fixed by 1 player.
    I do think it tends to snowball, and small changes can make big differences. But I can't say I don't share at least a little of your concern.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I see an issue with defensive effort (or lack thereof). Sure, Patterson's effort could be somewhat contagious, and his mere presence in the rotation will minimize the #caseyeffect.

But again, a lot of holes, a lot of breakdowns, and a lot of miscommunications....and we're approaching 2 months of it. Lots of bad habits that will need to be broken in a short time between now and April.
      Casey's defensive schemes also appear to require a unique combination high energy and high IQ to the point that only a few players in the league can execute them (Biz, Patterson & Joseph last year). In that case, you have to start questioning whether the schemes are even practical.

A lot of the issues start with the fact that he doesn't hold Lowry and DD accountable for containing their man at the point of attack, which sets the defense scrambling from the get-go.
      Last edited by golden; Thu Feb 9, 2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Can Oakley come to our building and punch out Casey & Carroll?!

Comment

Agreed. Far too simplistic to put the recent poor play on Patterson alone. It's a systemic issue.
          Not sure about that. Derozan being out hurt the team cause he's so critical to their success. At the moment, they are playing 5-on-4 with a blackhole at the PF spot for 48 minutes. Surely, those weigh heavily in the recent slump.

Even last night, if Lowry doesn't go 6-19 or whatever (i.e. just has a regular shooting game) they win.

There's been some questionable tactical decisions (including rotations) and some poor play from various players but I don't think it's 'systemic'.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            It backfired. Knicks fans and fans in general ain't havin it. Guess you could say they barked up the wrong oak tree.
            February 8th is not a good day for the Knicks (stolen from Poasting and Toasting):

February 8, 2017 – Charles Oakley incident
            February 8, 2016 – Knicks fire Derek Fisher, name Kurt Rambis interim coach
            February 8, 2015 – Reports emerge that James Dolan wrote a letter to a fan saying "start rooting for the Nets because the Knicks dont want you."

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              Not sure about that. Derozan being out hurt the team cause he's so critical to their success. At the moment, they are playing 5-on-4 with a blackhole at the PF spot for 48 minutes. Surely, those weigh heavily in the recent slump.

Even last night, if Lowry doesn't go 6-19 or whatever (i.e. just has a regular shooting game) they win.

There's been some questionable tactical decisions (including rotations) and some poor play from various players but I don't think it's 'systemic'.
              Doesn't that 5-on-4 argument apply to Biz last year, who is currently being hailed as a solution to all that ails us?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Doesn't that 5-on-4 argument apply to Biz last year, who is currently being hailed as a solution to all that ails us?
                yes, but bismack would replace JV so therefore it's clearly a positive because pound the rock.

Comment

Sure does!
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                    Can Oakley come to our building and punch out Casey & Carroll?!
                    Yo you see that old man strength? Took an army of beefy security guards to haul em away
                    Last edited by KeonClark; Thu Feb 9, 2017, 12:39 PM.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Charles Oakley once slapped a player who owed him money. "How'd he react?" I asked him. Oak: "He stayed slapped."
                      Lol oaks a legend. Can't get enough of this saga, "as the Knicks turn"
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Not really. Right now they are 4-on-5 on both ends. Biz, inconsistent as he was, was rarely a liability on the defensive end of the floor. At the moment, the current group of PFs doesn't really do anything much at all on either end. I would also argue that while BB didn't bring anything to the table offensively, he didn't actively take stuff off the table. Siakam and company I am not so sure about....

Not sure who is hailing BB as a solution. This team still needs guys to make plays at the forward spots. BB doesn't do anything to fix that.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          Not really. Right now they are 4-on-5 on both ends. Biz, inconsistent as he was, was rarely a liability on the defensive end of the floor. At the moment, the current group of PFs doesn't really do anything much at all on either end. I would also argue that while BB didn't bring anything to the table offensively, he didn't actively take stuff off the table. Siakam and company I am not so sure about....

Not sure who is hailing BB as a solution. This team still needs guys to make plays at the forward spots. BB doesn't do anything to fix that.
                          It's not as dire as you're making it out to be. Bebe is an above average defensive player and Sully is an above average offensive player. So, JV-Bebe should be able to work as a stop-gap in the starting lineup. And some combination of Sully-Poeltl / Sully-Siakam / Sully-Bebe should work as a bench rotation. Recall that Casey said that the starting PF position was Sully's to lose, coming out of training camp. Every team has injuries - that's when you find out just how good your coaching staff and system are.

Comment

• I missed the first half and the start of the 3rd quarter (thanks PVR), but saw the rest of the game. The portion of the 3rd quarter I saw had JV dominating and the Raptors playing with a lot of energy. They were leading, despite looking worn out and missing Patterson.

I have never been a Casey supporter and still believe he should have been fired after the Nets series, but his rotation management is becoming laughable (and, sadly, predictable).

In crunch time, Casey had a lineup that consisted of:

- Bebe, who looked completely lost out there and was terrible on both ends

- Joseph, who Casey has screwed up even more than he screwed up Vasquez, forcing him to try and be something he's not (Lowry-lite)

- Powell, who was ice cold from having been sitting all game, and who looks frustrated at being sent back to the bench after several great games playing in DeRozan's place

Once again, I was left shaking my head as I watched the Raptors piss away another game. By the time JV got back in the game it was too late, and he was cold. Ross, Carroll or Powell (had he played more throughout the game), should get all of Joseph's minutes alongside Lowry. They're better defenders and at least provide a threat of 3pt shooting, the lack of which is only magnified by Patterson's absence.

Yet another game that is on Casey. This was a winnable game.

Comment

• We fucking lost last night.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                                Jabari suffered a knee injury. Hope he's okay, but wouldn't be surprised if it's another acl injury. Such a good dude. Sucks for him.
                                Ugh

Comment

Working...
                                X