No announcement yet.

rudy gay banning stat sheets. wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a way it's good but also bad. Good as in they won't be focused on individual success but rather the success of the team winning. Bad because looking at the score sheet could help the players understand where they did bad.

Comment

OldSchool wrote: View Post
      Totally agree. No disrespect to you isaacthompson and nothing personal but this site has way too many couch-potato coaches who feel as if they know what goes on behind the scenes and in the dressing room, and they know way more than the coaching staff and personnel.
      Hahaha - did you just look up the dictionary definition of "fan"?

Shooting the sh*t like this is what being a fan is all about. Being an armchair quarterback is an essential part of the process. The important part is the context: Of course we're not there. Of course we're not in the locker room. Of course some of these players, coaches, and managers have 1000 times the experience and knowledge we have. We know that. But it doesn't stop you from armchair quarterbacking, because as a paying fan who's the reason all these guys have jobs, that's your role.

I don't believe in mindlessly cheering for mediocre franchises. There is a lot of negativity on these boards these days, but if you stop and realize we're talking about a sub .500 team that is bottom 3 in a 30 team league over the last 20 years - well, that's a fair indicator of the context and, as far as I'm concerned, a pretty justifiable reason for frustrating people who shell out hundreds of bucks every year to support this club.

Everybody's still a fan - half the stuff on here (especially this thread) is basically tongue-in-cheek. I'm glad there's a conversation and fun to be had whether this team is winning or losing.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I don't think Rudy is a bad guy.

I think his heart is in the right place.

It is just hilarious that the guy who is one of the worst players in efficiency stats in the league on the offensive side of the ball is taking stats away from the locker room.

This would have been so much cooler to hear about if, say, Amir or JV or Hansbrough started the initiative.

This is like the office drunk saying all staff socials are to be dry after the Christmas party where he groped 3 co-worked, cursed out a few more, and vomited all over the coat closet.
        Just a little devil's advocate - would we then be asking if that was an indictment of Rudy (or others), and Amir or whoever felt the team needed it because certain individuals were to concerned with stats?

To be blunt this all seems sort of unnecessary and bordering on ridiculous. There really should be no reason to not give a player stats after the game, particularily if they are or could be helpful stats. Simply put, if a player is to concerned about stats, get rid of them.
        But I guess you can't get around real questions that are raised when a player whose game isn't stats friendly, and who said he ignores stats, then goes about trying to block access to stats (whether for a good reason or not).

What we say and do always has consequences, just sometimes those consequences are felt in the most peculiar of ways.

Comment

Jokes aside, the only serious criticism I have from this is that it seems like one more indicator that Rudy isn't very teachable or willing to learn. Stats can be a distraction; they're also a fantastic teaching tool. LeBron looked at his stats and totally redeveloped his game around increasing his scoring efficiency - he focused on improving his 3, cutting down on long twos, and developing a post game.

Rudy hears a lot about his scoring inefficiency and says "You know what guys? We should just stop looking at post-game stat handouts - it's just a distraction." We're all speculating, but can you honestly dismiss that as *just* a misguided good guy without connecting it to the deeper issue of Rudy's apparent lack of team awareness and his inability to develop as a player over the length of his career?
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I mean seriously,
            Last edited by RandomGuy; Wed Nov 27, 2013, 05:34 AM.
            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              In a way it's good but also bad. Good as in they won't be focused on individual success but rather the success of the team winning. Bad because looking at the score sheet could help the players understand where they did bad.
              Yes, cause players have no other means to find out how many points they scored. Without getting that score sheet after the game, they will never know....

This whole thing is just silly. And coming from Gay, the most selfish Raptor since Mike James, it's hilarious, too.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                Yes, cause players have no other means to find out how many points they scored. Without getting that score sheet after the game, they will never know....

This whole thing is just silly. And coming from Gay, the most selfish Raptor since Mike James, it's hilarious, too.
                It does seem to be along the lines of not keeping score at kids' sporting events, allegedly in the interest of fair play and sportsmanship... you go up to any kid after the game and they sure as shit know which team 'won'.

Do you think JV & Amir need stat sheets to realize that Gay & DeRozan are jacking up an inordinate amount of shots, while scoring at a sub-500 rate? I think they know that from running up and down the court while barely being included in the offense.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  It does seem to be along the lines of not keeping score at kids' sporting events, allegedly in the interest of fair play and sportsmanship... you go up to any kid after the game and they sure as shit know which team 'won'.

Do you think JV & Amir need stat sheets to realize that Gay & DeRozan are jacking up an inordinate amount of shots, while scoring at a sub-500 rate? I think they know that from running up and down the court while barely being included in the offense.
                  Just going to play devil's advocate here but...

Jonas' true shooting percentage (51.0%) is LOWER than DeRozan's (51.2%) and he's a low-volume center while DD is a high-volume guard.

That's all.

Comment

For all we know he might be saying they should be banned because too many players were celebrating good performances after losses in the dressing room. Or he noticed people were too obsessed with talking about their numbers than talking about plays in the game afterwards, or maybe he thinks it's a good way to not let the big numbers affect Demar's game/drive.

Who knows, I actually think it's a good move to ban them in the dressing room after the game, but as people have noted it seems like too big of a coincidence for it to come now.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post

Jonas' true shooting percentage (51.0%) is LOWER than DeRozan's (51.2%) and he's a low-volume center while DD is a high-volume guard.

That's all.
                      .................................................. ....*head explodes*

Comment

Banning stats...not good

Here's a great example

Dwayne Wade and LBJ had a stat efficiency contest last year and that friendly competition to try and be the most efficient player led to the whole team being better.

GTFO Gay...

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post

That's all.
                          And last year it was 62%. Over 62 games.

So unless he's somehow become significantly worse over the summer, I'm going blame the drop on either the small sample size, or the fact that he seems much less comfortable in the offence, possibly because he isn't regularly involved.

To wit: his TS% this year in the first quarter, which is the only time that they make a point of getting him the ball consistently, is 56.7%. Counter that with the fourth quarter, where he gets about 60% of the PT that he gets in the first quarter, but only 35% of the FGAs, and his TS% drops to 37%.

They sure as hell won't be seeing these numbers in the locker room.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            Banning stats...not good

Here's a great example

Dwayne Wade and LBJ had a stat efficiency contest last year and that friendly competition to try and be the most efficient player led to the whole team being better.

GTFO Gay...
                            DD and Gay doing the opposite - Toronto the badland of NBA
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

lmao @ the hissy fit some are having over this. Gay isn't "banning" players from looking at stats. After they leave the dressing room, they have a minimum of 20 hours (when not b2b games) between games to study numbers all they want. It's about encouraging the immediate focus after games on team stuff, not individual stats. Why anyone finds that something to criticize says a lot more about the whiner than Gay.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                                lmao @ the hissy fit some are having over this. Gay isn't "banning" players from looking at stats. After they leave the dressing room, they have a minimum of 20 hours (when not b2b games) between games to study numbers all they want. It's about encouraging the immediate focus after games on team stuff, not individual stats. Why anyone finds that something to criticize says a lot more about the whiner than Gay.
                                Hands up, anyone who's having a hissy fit. Me, I think his Rob Ford-ian lack of self-awareness is hilarious.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X