GT: Raptors vs. Warriors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    barnes "shoots" better than ross. why wasn't he "born" a shooter? because he plays for the warriors? you don't think if we had of landed barnes he would be the better prospect? i'm not upset with ross. great pick, but still would have rather had barnes.
    exactly. I like Ross to, but he's not the only guy in the NBA who can 'shoot'. There are tons of them... the ability to shoot should be seen as a staple from a SG, not some rarity.

And where did this 'shooters are born' stuff come from anyways? Shooting is the most common basketball skill one can improve upon. Yes elite or historic shooters like Reggie Miller or Ray Allen etc. may be born, but that same idea (players with elite abilities are born) could apply to every skill. Great passers are born, great strength is born, great ball handling is born, great shot blocking is born....

Comment

• Its a quote from Reggie Miller and used a lot by MJ lol, but seriously you cant learn to shoot well you can only learn technique to shoot better. If you are a bad shooter you can only make it a tad better.

passing, strength, handles and shot blocking can all be taught and worked on shooting not so much lets be real here.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        Its a quote from Reggie Miller and used a lot by MJ lol, but seriously you cant learn to shoot well you can only learn technique to shoot better. If you are a bad shooter you can only make it a tad better.

passing, strength, handles and shot blocking can all be taught and worked on shooting not so much lets be real here.
        Be real?

MJ went from a 17% 3pt shooter to a 42% at his peak (on the highest volume of his career no less)

Lebron 29% to just shy of 40% this year

Passing, strength, handles can all be worked on, but shooting not so much? Please. A player can become significantly better at shooting just through practice and repetition. We see it time and time again in the NBA. yes a bad shooter will not likely become a great shooter - but they can become much more than a 'tad' better.

Just because Reggie and Jordan said something doesn't make it true. They may have been great players, but they aren't basketball Socretes.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
          Passing, strength, handles can all be worked on, but shooting not so much? Please. A player can become significantly better at shooting just through practice and repetition. We see it time and time again in the NBA. yes a bad shooter will not likely become a great shooter - but they can become much more than a 'tad' better.

Just because Reggie and Jordan said something doesn't make it true. They may have been great players, but they aren't basketball Socretes.
          Just to add what to what you are saying.

Tristan Thompson was a below 50% free throw shooter in college. The Cleveland rebuild his stance and shooting motion last March and his percentage has improved considerably in less than 1 year (I think he's making 70% of his free throw attempts in his last 20 games).

He also no range whatsoever last year but developed a 8 - 10 feet running hook shot from both hands this year. Practicing it against Big Z taught him well.

Keep in mind Tristan seems to have good muscle memory because he can repeat the same motion without much deviation. I would not be surprised if he converts over 75% of his free throw attempts in a couple of years.

Dion Waiters is very talented in my opinion but I think it will take him more time (2 - 3 years) before he significantly improve his jump shooting ability. His shooting motion is very inconsistent which makes me think learning a new motion and being able to repeat it with consistency will be a much harder task for him.

Comment

• wait are you honestly comparing freethrows and shots within 10 feet of the basket to a shot contested on the floor? A shot can be made better but hey guess what? if you dont have range you cant be taught range if you could literally everyone could be a shooter we would have D Howards taking 25 footers. DeRozan made his shot better but he is never going to be a great shooter never ever you have to have that skill alreadyfrom the start. Shooting is a basic skill yes but saying everyone can be great shooters is absolutely silly and taking more shots mean better precentages Jordan never took a lot of 3s in his early years you do know his strength was taking people off the dribble and going to the basket right? highlight plays you know Air Jordan?

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
              wait are you honestly comparing freethrows and shots within 10 feet of the basket to a shot contested on the floor? A shot can be made better but hey guess what? if you dont have range you cant be taught range if you could literally everyone could be a shooter we would have D Howards taking 25 footers. DeRozan made his shot better but he is never going to be a great shooter never ever you have to have that skill alreadyfrom the start. Shooting is a basic skill yes but saying everyone can be great shooters is absolutely silly and taking more shots mean better precentages Jordan never took a lot of 3s in his early years you do know his strength was taking people off the dribble and going to the basket right? highlight plays you know Air Jordan?
              And using that same argument, if you could be taught passing and ball handling we should have Dwight Howard playing PG. So why don't we....?

And no one is saying "saying everyone can be great shooters" in fact I think 'people' (myself anyways) have already pointed that out.

yes a bad shooter will not likely become a great shooter
              Yes elite or historic shooters like Reggie Miller or Ray Allen etc. may be born

taking more shots mean better precentages Jordan never took a lot of 3s in his early years you do know his strength was taking people off the dribble and going to the basket right?
              taking more shots mean better percentages? Umm what? If only that was the case.....

And yes his strength was attacking the net. What does that have to do with his shooting? They aren't mutually exclusive points. He was a bad shooter - became a very good one. That has nothing to do with what he was best or better at.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                Ross is a guy, which I could compare to Parker, but at the same time not really because he was drafted by Raptors so high. A guy, who wasn't projected to be even in top 15, but probably, lets hope will have similar career (not talking about rings, but why not? Not with Raps though)
                I still believe the huge reason why he wasn't considered a lottery pick was because of the lack of coverage he and Tony Wroten Jr. got. Had they played for bigger universities, I would guarantee both are at the very least top 16 picks.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                X