No announcement yet.

Report: Lowry re-signs @ 4yr/$48M w/ETO after 3rd year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait is it actually possible for the Rockets to get Lowry and Melo while keeping Parsons?

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
      Wait is it actually possible for the Rockets to get Lowry and Melo while keeping Parsons?
      Highly unlikely. Melo would have to sign, then Lin for Lowry S&T, then resigning Parsons if my math is correct.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        So since Lowry said he'd make his decision in a few days, instead of after July 10th, I think we're sitting pretty.
        Not really, because Lowry "making his decision in a few days" means he makes his decision after Melo makes his. If Melo chooses Houston, then Lowry simply re-signs with us. If Melo chooses Not Houston, then Lowry has the freedom to have Houston and us bid against each other for his services.

If Houston wants to S&T Lin and several picks to us, that would be acceptable for Lowry. Obviously Lowry is the preferable option, but a year of Lin - who's smart, a good teammate and a capable shooter/playmaker/scorer - and more expiring money in 2015 is not the worst outcome if Lowry chooses to sign with Houston.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
          Highly unlikely. Melo would have to sign, then Lin for Lowry S&T, then resigning Parsons if my math is correct.
          Actually that wouldn't work either.. Melo can't sign if Lin's contract (or Lowry's if traded for Lin) is on the books. They would have to move Lin first.. free up $16M - use that for Melo. Then do a S&T with Lowry (although they probably don't have enough monetary assets to make a trade work with Toronto unless they include Parsons).

I just don't see a situation where they get Melo, Lowry and Parsons. I suspect Lowry is a plan B if Melo falls through. Lowry is probably waiting on Melo's domino to fall before he commits.

Comment

• Relevant: the Sixers are in trade talks with Houston for Jeremy Lin.

This reinforces my belief that Houston thought they would simply S&T Lin to us for Lowry; most likely that was what they offered back in February (Lin and some combination of D-Mo/picks). Now they're going to the NBA's official dumping ground for overlarge salaries.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
              Atlanta situation could happen. And I clearly said it would be terrible defensively...

Melo has played PF in NY for extended time with Chandler at C.

Get me straight though I don't think it would be a good line up, I just think that's what Morey wants.
              Sorry, but when was the last time Melo did something like being a great team guy? He has had coaches fired, pouted because teammates got better than ink than he (Lin in NY) and wants his touches. He is actually a matchup nightmare as a SF. The only reason he played PF for a while in NY because Bargnani got injured doing a swan dive while trying to dunk a shot and they were desperate to make the playoffs.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                The only reason he played PF for a while in NY because Bargnani got injured doing a swan dive while trying to dunk a shot and they were desperate to make the playoffs.
                Actually he played a lot of power forward in 2012-13 as well. He's excellent in either forward role.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Sorry, but when was the last time Melo did something like being a great team guy? He has had coaches fired, pouted because teammates got better than ink than he (Lin in NY) and wants his touches. He is actually a matchup nightmare as a SF. The only reason he played PF for a while in NY because Bargnani got injured doing a swan dive while trying to dunk a shot and they were desperate to make the playoffs.
                  He played primarily at PF the season before they got Bargnani. The actual reason was that NY had a shitty roster with more talent on the perimeter than in the frontcourt. By putting Melo at PF, they still got to exploit mismatches (no PF could guard him on the perimeter), get more burn for their other wings and guards, and avoid having to use a crappy big rotation.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                    Actually he played a lot of power forward in 2012-13 as well. He's excellent in either forward role.
                    At this point I think he's a PF not SF. You need a SF to play D with Melo starting.

Comment

Except defensively. He's not good at either role on that end...

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Except defensively. He's not good at either role on that end...
                        You don't play him for defense. You play him for offense, and make up the difference with better defensive players, and you do it because Melo is one of the best offensive players in the league.

Comment

You don't play him for defense. You play him for offense, and make up the difference with better defensive players, and you do it because Melo is one of the best offensive players in the league.
                          Melo can play decent defense at SF. He won't be able to guard anyone at PF, and will likely get tired quickly of getting banged on in the post by huge players.

Comment

• The Melo hate is really overblown, he was a great team player in NY, he just happened to be on a very bad team and over and over again they learned that their best chance of winning was to give Melo the ball and get out of the way. His team defense isn't great but one-on-one he's actually very good.

Some of you guys completely ignore the faults of Raptors players and can't even see the greatness of some of the top players in the league. Every team in the league would love Carmelo on their team and they'd be better for him and yet apparently he's just a talentless asshole who only plays on one half of the court.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                              The Melo hate is really overblown, he was a great team player in NY, he just happened to be on a very bad team and over and over again they learned that their best chance of winning was to give Melo the ball and get out of the way. His team defense isn't great but one-on-one he's actually very good.

Some of you guys completely ignore the faults of Raptors players and can't even see the greatness of some of the top players in the league. Every team in the league would love Carmelo on their team and they'd be better for him and yet apparently he's just a talentless asshole who only plays on one half of the court.
                              This. I hope people realize that if we were actually somehow able to add Melo to this team (which is highly improbable atm)

Lowry
                              DeRozan
                              Melo
                              Amir
                              Jonas

Is capable of beating any team in the East in a playoff series and pushing Miami to the brink. Probably a borderline 60-win team. He's a superstar. People need to stop underrating him. Melo is also actually an average defender, not a sieve like he's made out to be.

Melo has also shown himself to be a willing passer and distributor if he's on a great team. Look at the 2008-09 Nuggets team where he played with JR, Billups, K-Mart and Nene.
                              Last edited by imanshumpert; Wed Jul 2, 2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• CBS reporting that the Raps' offer to Lowry was four years at $44m, and he wants five years at $55m.

If we can get Kyle for $11m per year, I would add the fifth year to seal the deal. $11m is cheaper than I was expecting.

Comment

Working...
                                X