Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agency 2012

I don't think this thread has been started yet so here it goes.

This is a big year for free agents. We have Dwight Howard, Kevin Love, Westbrook, Derron Williams, Kevin Garnett, Derrick Rose, Bynum, Chris Paul.....the list goes on and you can see the rest here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

We've had a lot of conversations on who the Raptors should draft, but what about who they should sign? If we amnestied someone like Calderon we are actually in a position to offer out a lot of money and there are a number of players that would fit well here. I personally would love to get Westbrook (I'd give him the max) and Gallinari. What do you think?
    Nash
    33.33%
    Batum
    38.46%
    Mayo
    5.13%
    Lin
    5.13%
    Lee
    2.56%
    Fields
    10.26%
    Hinrich
    2.56%
    Kidd
    0.00%
    L.Williams
    0.00%
    Green
    2.56%

The poll is expired.

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

I think the FA market will still depend on who gets offered an extension and who accepts, but to play along.....

If i were BC, of course id go after the big names first, no matter how grim the chances are of getting them, who knows, they might like the offer....

Howard, Westbrook, Rose, E. Gordon, Bynum, Batum

Comment

If we truly have confidence in Jonas going forward, do we make a run at Howard or Bynum (not that we have a chance)?
      Ideally we get to see how the draft plays out, who we pick, who other teams pick, and make a solid run at a player who his original team may not match because of their roster and draft pick.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Paul agreed not to opt-out of his final year (I thought I heard the Clippers would only agree to the trade if they had Paul for 2 years).

But definitely count me in for offering Westbrook max.

As for Gallo, I think I'd rather see Wilson Chandler in a Raptors uniform.

Comment

The list has not been updated since CPaul has exercised his 2012 option and will not be a FA until 2013. DRose has already extended, and Galinari is very close. The Lakers will exercise their TO on Bynum assuming he isn't traded for DHoward (where Orlando will certainly exercise the option). Rumours about KLove getting extended, which they should do, but he does not seem to be aware of it. Portland and Batum do not appear to be close.

Batum and Courtney Lee would be 2 RFA's I would go after, although as outlined in Matt's trade thread I am on board with trying to trade/S&T for Batum. I would definitely look at WChandler as well coming back from China.
          I seem to remember a week ago there was a report out of SAC that they will not be extending Jason Thompson nor extending the QO so he might be a decent target to backup JValenciunas.

We do definitely need a PG, whether we keep Calderon or not, and each of Nash, DWilliams and RWestbrook offer different and appealing options, with Felton as another option. I am all over the place on what I would like to see here, but if we are not getting a young PG in the draft or deadline trade, I am not interested in Nash despite the musings of a Canadian homecoming retirement tour and the thoughts of ball control Nash/Calderon PG tandem.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Paul agreed not to opt-out of his final year (I thought I heard the Clippers would only agree to the trade if they had Paul for 2 years).

But definitely count me in for offering Westbrook max.

As for Gallo, I think I'd rather see Wilson Chandler in a Raptors uniform.
            You are 100% correct.

Comment

My first and foremost target would be Eric Gordon and then Westbrook. I'd offer either the max.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                My first and foremost target would be Eric Gordon and then Westbrook. I'd offer either the max.
                I love Gordon's game, but the dude is made of glass. I would think twice about offering him max. He's looking like the next Yao Ming (in terms of never playing a full season). He misses over 20 games per year, which is like a month and a half of basketball.

Comment

Sign me up for Gordon as well. He'll be a tough nut to grab since I would imagine NO giving him the max as well.

On the realistic side, I'd go for Batum, Chandler, Felton or Fields.

On the somewhat realistic (but most likely will not happen) side, I'd go for Westbrook, Gordon, Augustin, or Nash.

On the no way in hell will it happen, but a guy can dream side, I'd go for Howard.

Comment

The Max? Is it just me or should some of these second level stars be taking less than max deals to help build a team and afford themselves more individual success on a winning team.
                    Westbrook is a hell of a player, but I think he has enough deficiencies to allow for a little less than max money, can his game evolve as his athleticism starts to fade?
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I would like them to pick up Goran Dragic. He could be our younger Calderon at age 27, he can still grow with this team, and should come at a fair price. He needs to improve his assist numbers but thats something he can learn. In the 2013 draft we can address our point guard situation

And Nicolas Batum would also be a great pick up for this team. We can also draft one of the stud SF in the draft with our pick this year.

We may have enough to sign both. If we pick up Batum I think it is time to amnesty Kleiza. His money would sign Dragic. And then we have the mind level and whatever is left to fill the rest of our team. Bayless should be let go as well. Jason Thompson would be a good pick up as well. We also need a vet at SG that can knock down three's. Farmar might be a good fit.

Jonas/Amir/Thompson
                      Bargs/Ed Davis/Amir
                      Batum/Rookie/J.J.
                      DeMar/Farmar/Weems
                      Calderon/Dragic
                      Last edited by saints91; Wed Jan 18, 2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Personally, I think these dates need to have come and gone before getting a true idea of free agent targets:

January 25th - deadline for rookie contracts to get extensions (Gordon, Batum, Westbrook might not be available come July 1st)
                        March 15th - trade deadline
                        June 28th - draft

Comment

Thunder have to extend Westbrook by the 25th or he will hit free agency. They are offering around $80M, he wants $95M. I think Westbrook could be on the market but you know there is going to be a bidding war for him.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Thunder have to extend Westbrook by the 25th or he will hit free agency. They are offering around $80M, he wants $95M. I think Westbrook could be on the market but you know there is going to be a bidding war for him.
                            It sounds like what the Thunder want to sign him for is the most any other team will be able to offer on an average per season basis.

Teams can only offer 4 years with 4.5% raises.

OKC can offer 5 years and 7.5% raises.

If Westbrook signs an offer sheet of 4 years with the 4.5% raises, you can be sure OKC matches it.

Comment

Players I feel will be on the radar (not my recommendations)

PG
                              Chris Paul
                              Russell Westbrook
                              Ray Felton
                              Steve Nash
                              D.J. Augustine

SG
                              Eric Gordon
                              Landry Fields
                              O.J. Mayo

SF
                              Danilo Gallinari
                              Nicolas Batum
                              Boris Diaw
                              Matt Barnes
                              Andres Nocioni

Obviously they're not going to have a realistic shot at some of these guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X