X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider: Here's who the Raptors should draft

ESPN Insider gives its take on the Raptors draft:

Toronto Raptors
    The Raptors are one of the teams that have to be just sick that Harrison Barnes is not in this draft. They would have had to give him strong consideration at any spot they are selecting, including the No. 1 spot. Toronto was a bad offensive team last, but it was the worst defensive team in the NBA. There was no candidate better suited to help the Raptors than Barnes, especially considering the huge hole they have at small forward .

The absence of a perfect fit means they'll have to take Derrick Williams. Even though they have two mainstays at the big spots in Andrea Bargnani and Ed Davis, who had an excellent rookie season, Williams would give them a strong scoring presence who is willing to compete on defense. He's powerfully built, something the Raps need in a player, and can certainly play small forward some, allowing Toronto to go big without giving up much. He's not a great rebounder as a 4 but would be better there than playing the 3. The big Euros are in the running here, but Toronto needs some explosiveness too, something Williams brings to the table, and his toughness might be more in need than anything else. If Williams, Davis and Amir Johnson are three of your top four bigs, your team has a bright future.

Barnes was a kick in the gonads.

Comment

We can still get him next year!
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Anyways, ive warmed up to Williams quite a bit. I was reading a couple pieces on him and they both said he could be a solid if not dominant 3, especially when he posts smaller 3's up. They likened him to a more offensively savey Jeff Green, which I could certainly get behind. He'd bring a strong amount of toughness to the team.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Anyways, ive warmed up to Williams quite a bit. I was reading a couple pieces on him and they both said he could be a solid if not dominant 3, especially when he posts smaller 3's up. They likened him to a more offensively savey Jeff Green, which I could certainly get behind. He'd bring a strong amount of toughness to the team.
          I would like that too, although not so sure he would match on the defensive side, however maybe that could develop?

Comment

I am worried that Williams may end up being a "tweener" in the NBA; a great talent that ends up getting traded multiple times because he's just too small to be full-time PF and not athetlic enough to be full-time SF.

If the basketball gods are smiling on Toronto, we get lucky and draft Irving this year and Barnes next year, to form a super young long-term nucleous of Irving/DeRozan/Barnes/Davis/C?.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I am worried that Williams may end up being a "tweener" in the NBA; a great talent that ends up getting traded multiple times because he's just too small to be full-time PF and not athetlic enough to be full-time SF.

If the basketball gods are smiling on Toronto, we get lucky and draft Irving this year and Barnes next year, to form a super young long-term nucleous of Irving/DeRozan/Barnes/Davis/C?.
              That would kick-ass. I hear C is awesome too.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                That would kick-ass. I hear C is awesome too.
                lol as long as he rebounds and provides help-D!

Comment

The C in the draft who sounds best (to my untutored ears) on help D and rebounding is called Bismack ...

Comment

Williams could be a franchise player. He's a beast.

Comment

I think we will only be able to get Williams if we select 2nd. maybe a player like vesley or kanter jump higher in the lottery and Williams drops. that would be ideal.

ive been saying for sometime though, i ithnk toronto will select second.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                        I think we will only be able to get Williams if we select 2nd. maybe a player like vesley or kanter jump higher in the lottery and Williams drops. that would be ideal.

ive been saying for sometime though, i ithnk toronto will select second.
                        I struck #1 five straight times playing the ESPN mock lottery - it must be a sign.

Comment

I was able to watch a lot of Williams in the Tourney and he did impress, but I was initially hoping that we would be around at the 5th pick. Having to take him with the second pick would be disappointing but it doesn't look like we have choice. If both irving and williams are off the board i have no idea who to select. And it may not matter either way...
                          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

If either Irving or Williams are gone I would strongly consider Brandon Knight. I think there is a lot of upside in him and he has leadership qualities as well. Tough call between him and Kanter.

Has Sullinger declared (absolutely)?

Comment

Yeah, Sullinger has said that he's going back to OSU next season.

After Ohio State was eliminated in the Sweet Sixteen by Kentucky, Jared Sullinger said he’d be back at school next year, despite being a projected top-five pick in the NBA Draft. Jared Sullinger is unquestionably the best player on the Ohio State basketball team. And he’s coming back.

The freshman was named a first team All-American yesterday.

Sullinger’s dad opened up to the New York Times about the player’s decision to return to school despite the riches of a professional contract waiting in the wings.

Satch Sullinger said his son had two goals. The first was to win a national title, which Ohio State was favored to do this season, coming into the N.C.A.A. tournament as the No. 1 overall seed.

“That’s exactly why he’s coming back,” Satch said. “He’s coming back because his goal is to win a national championship. He’s won A.A.U. and high school championships, and he wants to win a national championship.”
                              - New York Times

Comment

Working...
                              X