tucas wrote: View Post
    Lets look at all the shitty names around the league
    Spurs
    Celtics
    Lakers
    Jazz
    Pelicans
    Suns
    Clippers? What are clippers? I use clippers when my nails get too long?
    Trailblazers(meh)
    Knickerbockers
    76ers
    Nuggets

Ya I think I'm fine with Raptors
    I dont think those are all bad names. Pelicans is one of the worst in sports in my opinion. I understand the desire to rebrand for the current city, but it isn't necessary. LA kept the name Lakers and that worked out pretty well for them.
    I'm not a fan of the name 76ers, but the rest of the list I am ok with.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

IMO Raptors name is so bad that it's actually awesome. I mean naming a franchise after a stupid movie is really really dumb but i'm still all for it. Like someone said before there's a lot of stupid names out there. Just names don't seem so dumb when the team is winning.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I would rather have a team name be of significance for the club and the city as opposed to something 'menacing'.

Pelicans is an odd choice but it makes sense for that city. It's a better name then something generic like "Sharks", "Bulldogs" or "Killer Bees". I'd prefer the Huskies over Raptors because of its historic significance (original Toronto team name was Huskies).

But it's too soon to make a name change. If we can tear down the front office and get new guys in there, then I'm all for a name change. However I'm sure the NBA would poo-poo all over it. Imagine the cost/expense for the NBA to have to change all of its merchandise to use a new name?

Comment

For some strange reason, naming your team after bird species is better suited to baseball...

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            I'd prefer the Huskies over Raptors because of its historic significance
            What is more historic than a dinosaur?
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Raptors is too badass to change

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I use to be 100% for Huskies. Kind of indifferent now.

Only way I'd go yes is if drastic sweeping changes occurred to coincide, like for example:

-New President and GM
                -trading away all the excess baggage of the miserable last 5 years
                -drafting a can't miss #1 like Wiggins

But all that is pretty unlikely so I'm happy to keep Raptors.... especially since Jurassic 4 is coming, AWESOME! What is old becomes new again!
                +1.

If you are going to make changes like this, change the entire identity of the team (personel, management, logo, name, etc.), and not just the name and jerseys.

Also, imagine if the Raps ever win a championship. The championship rings would be diamond dino-rings. Thats pretty awesome to me.

Comment

No. I don't want the name changed. Think that sort of move is weak.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                    I dont think those are all bad names. Pelicans is one of the worst in sports in my opinion. I understand the desire to rebrand for the current city, but it isn't necessary. LA kept the name Lakers and that worked out pretty well for them.
                    I'm not a fan of the name 76ers, but the rest of the list I am ok with.
                    Worked out pretty well for them? Do appealing team names make the players pay better?

Have you ever seen a lake in Los Angeles? :P I dont think any of their success would have been any different if they were named the Los Angeles Sulfur Dioxides.
                    Last edited by Sig; Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

It will fit better when we're winning. Well actually it fits good right now seeing as we play as a team and tear teams apart outside to inside, just like how raptors hunt in packs and work together. Idk what i'm saying but i think its right

Comment

Not sure why some people don't like the Raptors name - I think it's great. It's unique, cool, and its a friggin dinosaur. Not to mention that raptors or velociraptors are one of the few well known dinosaurs in pop culture.

Come on guys, cant just throw out 17 years for nothing

Comment

I say relocate the team to Calgary, where the name will have all the same positives it currently has, with the added benefit of being applicable to the city/region/province. I could possibly have some bias in my opinion though...
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I say relocate the team to Calgary, where the name will have all the same positives it currently has, with the added benefit of being applicable to the city/region/province. I could possible have some bias in my opinion though...
                            Calgary, where teams refuse to trade assets and commit to a true rebuild. Yup, sounds about right

Comment

...and a Raptor would kill a Pelican any day, just might get a little bothered by the Heat

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Calgary, where teams refuse to trade assets and commit to a true rebuild. Yup, sounds about right
                                Thankfully I'm a recent transplant, so I'm spared the pain of having to be a Flames fan... I think that's far worse than even being a Leafs fan!

Comment

Working...
                                X