Valanciunas' Buyout To Be Raised To At Least $3M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valanciunas' Buyout To Be Raised To At Least $3M

The buyout in the contract of Jonas Valanciunas with Lietuvos Rytas will be raised to at least $3 million USD, confirmed agent Sarunas Broga to RealGM.

Valanciunas has widely been projected to become a top-five pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, but a more financially difficult buyout would surely impact his draft status.

During the 2010-11 Euroleague season, Valanciunas averaged 7.7 points and 5.8 rebounds in just over 15 minutes per game.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...o_At_Least_$3M

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/.../Summary/24239

Interesting stuff. I was looking for more info on his buyout a while ago and couldn't find much.

It makes me wonder why he would sign a contract like this knowing that he wants to go to the NBA?
    Last edited by RaptorDan; Tue May 31, 2011, 05:38 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Surely this takes him off the Raps' board at 5. It will be really hard to sell to the fans that a 22-win team should use the #5 pick on a guy who is going to be stashed in Europe for 2 or 3 years when it has major holes at the 3 and 5 that need to be filled, along with the PG spot being in transition.

Comment

Isn't that above the NBA limit?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Isn't that above the NBA limit?
          Above the limit for us to pay, but that just means Valanciunas will have to cough up $2.5 mil out of his own pocket.

Weird move by his club. This will likely drop his stock, which will lower the amount Valanciunas will make (making it harder for him to pay the buyout) and possibly cause him to withdraw from the draft. Sure they get to keep him but other top prospects looking to join the NBA route might steer clear of their club in the future.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
            Interesting stuff. I was looking for more info on his buyout a while ago and couldn't find much.

It makes me wonder why he would sign a contract like this knowing that he wants to go to the NBA?
            Ya. Hes def gonna fall fast. I liked him as a prospect too, and i read somewhere that the Cavs were interested in selecting him, leaving Kanter to fall to us. Now, with a large buyout and an unknown nba CBA I dont think any GM wants a "Ricky Rubio" situation, or at least a team in a rebuild.

Comment

That eats up a lot of money on of his rookie year. Maybe he accepts and pulls a "Weems" once he's out of the country?

I kid but they would probably have to let him pay it off in payments.
              Last edited by Apollo; Tue May 31, 2011, 06:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                That eats up a lot of year on of his rookie year. Maybe he accepts and pulls a "Weems" once he's out of the country?
                My bet is on him pulling out of the draft.

You may cross a retired professional football player, but you never want to cross those old world mobsters. Euroleague buyouts are a booming industry, and they intend to collect.

On a more serious note, this is sad news for us. Not because I wanted him on the team, but the more viable top 4 picks the better it is for our chances of Kanter being on the board when we pick.

Hopes looking dimmer and dimmer... =/

Comment

I don't know how the laws in Europe can even hold up such a buy out when the team is only paying him 60K Euro. It's mindboggling and beyond reasonable.

There is a reason why justice uses the symbol of scales for balance. This seems far from fair, in fact it seems very exploitative.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                    My bet is on him pulling out of the draft.You may cross a retired professional football player, but you never want to cross those old world mobsters. Euroleague buyouts are a booming industry, and they intend to collect.

On a more serious note, this is sad news for us. Not because I wanted him on the team, but the more viable top 4 picks the better it is for our chances of Kanter being on the board when we pick.

Hopes looking dimmer and dimmer... =/
                    I didn't even include him in my mock draft this year, betting strongly on his pulling out of the draft. That said, if he stays past the June 13th deadline I will have some scrambling to do!

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                      I didn't even include him in my mock draft this year, betting strongly on his pulling out of the draft. That said, if he stays past the June 13th deadline I will have some scrambling to do!
                      I figured he'd stay because this year will be as good as any for him to get picked as high as possible (and earlier reports suggested his club would be cooperative); he could improve over the year and still get picked lower next year with all the talent projected to be available. But with him having to pay $2.5 mil out of his own pocket... grrrr...

EDIT: Did anyone see this from Givony? http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress/s...70008767848448

Valanciunas' club should really set the buyout to a % of his first NBA contract.
                      Last edited by Quixotic; Tue May 31, 2011, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                        Above the limit for us to pay, but that just means Valanciunas will have to cough up $2.5 mil out of his own pocket.
                        Did I miss something here? If I understand correctly, the NBA has a limit on buyouts, which is $500,000, and anything above this amount is shouldered by the player? Am I missing something? Certainly, there must be a work around where the team who drafts him will pick-up the entire amount.

Edit: then I read the twitter that said buyout details are still up in the air. Still, the $3m doesn't seem right, especially if the player has to pay most.
                        Last edited by RaptorDan; Tue May 31, 2011, 06:36 PM.
                        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Did I miss something here? If I understand correctly, the NBA has a limit on buyouts, which is $500,000, and anything above this amount is shouldered by the player? Am I missing something? Certainly, there must be a work around where the team who drafts him will pick-up the entire amount.

Edit: then I read the twitter that said buyout details are still up in the air. Still, the $3m doesn't seem right, especially if the player has to pay most.
                          No work-around in this instance. This is the same type of situation that has kept Rubio away from the Wolves for the past 2 years. If a player's buyout is more then the $500,000 then they are responsible for paying it if they want out.

But as pointed out earlier by Quixotic, according to Jon Givony (http://twitter.com/draftexpress) no buyout amount has been arranged yet. He seems like a very reliable source who is in the know, so I would lean towards trusting him on this.
                          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

I'm pretty sure his contract is very long. There is no point in pulling out. He needs to just proceed and get it done. The team who holds his contract is apparently in desperate need of money based on what I read. I'm thinking they bend a little on the buyout. He's more valuable to a team like that if he's gone than if he stays.

Comment

No, you read correctly. The most any NBA team can pay as a buyout with a non-NBA team is $500,000. This rule was set probably to prevent foreign teams from extorting the NBA. $3 mil is actually not very high if you compare it to Rubio's buyout. At one point, it was like $6-8 mil (I forget the exact figure, different amounts were conditioned on when the buyout occurred).

If Valanciunas sets the buyout to $3 mil, oh well. And no, there's no work around. It would defeat the purpose of limiting the amount foreign teams could ask for if all they had to do was force the work-around.

Comment

Working...
                              X