No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good breakdown of how Kemba Walker's game could translate to the NBA and some Jimmer too.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• +1 on Leonard. I also like Burks. It's a mystery to me why he is so low on most boards, he looks like a potential ROY. Not only Rookie Of the Year, but also Brandon Roy.

Not sure what it is, but I'm just not into Knight.

I'm kind of intrigued by Walker, but probably because I didn't like Rondo when he was drafted, and maybe imagining Kemba being simular.

Anyway my board would be: Kanter, Walker, Leonard, Burks, Valanciunas. In no particular order, but players I would be intrigued to see on the team. (Obviously assuming Irving and Williams are not remotely possible)

But please don't mistake me for somebody that actually knows anything about basketball. I'm in BC's court on this decision.

Since this is a week draft, and with lockout uncertainty, I can see BC, known for both drafting and dealing, getting another pick, moving up or whatever.

I get the feeling that the opening night roster next year will be very different, and more than one of the guys being scouted for the draft right now will be on it. There seems to be some big men with potential so I would not be surprised to see all but two of Amir, ED, Reggie, AB and Dorsey gone so that we could take a chance on trading for Faried or a Morris brother or even Benson.

Unfortunately, I can see Davis being used as a trade piece this summer. You have to give something up to get something, as they say, and Davis has value, while PF is a position of strength for the team at the moment, perhaps the only one. Especially given that Johnson and (when he returns) Kleiza can also play some 4.

Anyway, yes to Leonard. I hope they give him major consideration with our #5 (if we're still picking 5th by draft day).

Comment

• Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Good breakdown of how Kemba Walker's game could translate to the NBA and some Jimmer too.
          Wow great video.
          I'm liking Kemba a lot and I think he would fit in perfectly with the Raps who needs someone who can create their own shot.
          The only concern would be, like mentioned his passing game. With his small size, it would be harder for him to get clear passing lanes against much larger opponents. With that said, he is very quick and has great footwork which is useful for a drive and dish game.

Overall, I believe Kemba would be a great fit for this team. Just my personal opinion.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            The possibilities of who the Raptors draft are numerous but realistically speaking, the only way the pick is traded is if another pick comes back.

Assuming the pick is not traded, it would seem to me one of the following 3 players are going to be picked:

Knight, Valanciunas, or Kanter.

Lets say those 3 players are all gone, that means Irving or Williams is available. So like I said, one of those previous three.
            I too believe that Kanter will not available when it's the Raps' turn. In this case my order of preference is Knight, Valanciunas and then Leonard. The other thing that I feel is important for the Raps to consider is a player that could potentially develop a three point shot. This really killed the team last year (I know, they don't need to improve on offense but defense). That's why I like Knight as PG (good D and size). Same goes for Valanciunas and Leonard (especially if he becomes the second coming of Gerald Wallace).
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Interesting new wildcard entering into draft talk...Glen Taylor (T-Wolves owner) has said that they plan on keeping their #2 pick. This comes out after Kahn said that they would certainly look at trading it. Taylor still says that he will leave the final decision up to Kahn, but he makes it out that the organizational philosophy is to keep picks that are that high.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Keep_No_2_Pick

Minnesota seems to be the real wildcard in the draft. No way they take a PG with Rubio coming over (according to reports, that is). Williams seems redundant since they already have Beasley, Randolph, and Love. Kanter/Valanciunas would be good, but they already have a lot of money tied up in those positions (not necessarily skill...but money). They have been rumored to have some interest in Biyomba, but he would be a huge reach.

Normally in these types of situations you go for best player available, as we have talked about extensively. But in a situation like this where the prospects are viewed to be fairly close in talent/ability, you start to look at the fit they bring to the team. So if Minnesota passes on Williams (most likely BPA after Irving) then who makes sense for them?

The ramifications of their choice will be fun to look at. If Minnesota passes on Williams, Utah would most certainly not. Meaning that the Raptors would have the option of Knight (since Cleveland would not be interested). Ideally the Raptors would have the choice between Knight and Kanter.

Based on what I have read from scouts, and the footage that I have seen, I would love to add Kanter. A big-man who loves to play physical, embraces rebounding, and has high basketball-IQ...perfect to pair with Davis for the long term.

And if the rumors that Cleveland prefers Valanciunas over Kanter are true...then it might be possible!

So many different possibilities with this draft. I'm loving the intrigue of it all!
              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Trading the pick would be a last resort. And I don't even know if it would that. The value of any pick in this draft is low, and you'd have a better chance at finding a diamond in the rough then of getting fair value for the pick. No one is going to want to get a #5 pick and have to pay the player close to $4 million a season for a player who probably won't even be a starter.

I really don't see Walker as the 1st option. I hope he's not. He's proven to be a good NCAA player, but I have WAY too many question marks about how that translates to the NBA.

Kanter is my 1st option. IF he is hesitant to come to Toronto, that will probably change if Bargnani is traded and he's given the starting center position. Valanciunas might be my second option, but I don't know about his hands. He seems to have trouble handling passes and doesn't have the softest hands.

Leonard would definitely be an option. Probably higher on my list than Vesley, who doesn't have good handles and doesn't seem to do much more than dunk. I also wonder how he'll be able to defend NBA small forwards.
                The only real issue about Walker is his size. He's proven that he can do everything a pg can do and then some in college. I don't think his size will stop him from dominating the nba too.

I think the raptors should consider trading Bargnani for Minnesota's pick and filler. Then we sohuld take Kanter/Williams and Walker.

Comment

• RAPT0RS wrote: View Post
                  Wow great video.
                  I'm liking Kemba a lot and I think he would fit in perfectly with the Raps who needs someone who can create their own shot.
                  The only concern would be, like mentioned his passing game. With his small size, it would be harder for him to get clear passing lanes against much larger opponents. With that said, he is very quick and has great footwork which is useful for a drive and dish game.

Overall, I believe Kemba would be a great fit for this team. Just my personal opinion.
                  Yeah, I agree. I feel like Kemba is most realistic pick at #5 right now and I wouldn't be a bit disappointed either.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• His interviews have also been calm and collected. Very comfortable in the spotlight.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, I agree. I feel like Kemba is most realistic pick at #5 right now and I wouldn't be a bit disappointed either.
                      Yes i have a feeling this guy will be a huge part of this team in the near future(if we draft him)

Comment

• If Kanter is not available at #5 I would choose Brandon Knight. There just seems to be a fluidity to his play whether it be the run game or the slow down half court. At worst I think he can be a Jrue Holiday type of player. He has leadership abilities and academic ones to (4.0 avg. his year at KU). His coach Calipari also seems to churn out good pgs...Rose & Wall lately. Havent seen him enough though re his defense

Comment

• • NBA execs seems to be leaning toward Brandon Knight over Kemba Walker when asked which point guard they prefer. I spoke to dozens of scouts and executives over the weekend and the majority of them had Knight ranked slightly higher because of his size, shooting ability and upside. Neither player worked out in the drills on Thursday or Friday. NBA teams liked Walker's personality in interviews. "He's charismatic," one GM said. "I think he could emerge as a leader in the locker room." Walker measured a little bigger than expected (6-1 in shoes) which should help his stock too.

Teams said Knight was considerably more reserved than Walker, but they came away impressed with his maturity. The Jazz should be the first team on the board to give them a look. The Raptors, Kings and Bobcats are also in the mix. If the Jazz pick a point guard, I think Knight is slightly ahead on their board. Sources said if Knight slips to No. 5, the Raptors are likely to snag him there and there's no way he slides past the Kings at No. 7, I'm told. Walker's stock is still a bit more fluid. He'll get a look at Utah, Toronto and Sacramento, but I'm told none of those teams are all the way on board with him yet.
                          It's a insider article on espn analyzing things after the combine.

It look like the Raptors are extremely high on Brandon Knight(like most GMs are). So seem like the raptors are just going to pick the point guard that falls to them but, they hope it's BK.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• dballa21 wrote: View Post
                            The only real issue about Walker is his size. He's proven that he can do everything a pg can do and then some in college. I don't think his size will stop him from dominating the nba too.

I think the raptors should consider trading Bargnani for Minnesota's pick and filler. Then we sohuld take Kanter/Williams and Walker.
                            If the only real issue with Walker was his size, I'd take him. Unfortunately it's not. There's a question whether he can run an offense, whether he's simply a ball dominating scorer with the height of a PG, and whether he can function well in a role where he's not the best player on the team. Is he a Damon Stoudamire-type player who can put up stats on a bad team, but will struggle on a more talented team.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• In the interview that I saw, he seems to be very conscious of this aspect. Almost apologizing for his dominant role offensively as a necessary evil to ensuring his teams success. He even went on to say, that if he is surrounded with gifted scorers he will be more than happy to take on the distributors role.

Now this in itself does not nullify this criticism, but its nice to know that he is aware of it, lots of players can't even articulate the criticism made against them.

I also like the kids poise. I have no illusions about him being the best player in this draft, but at our #5 position he would not be a bad pick.
                              Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Mon May 23, 2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• I know this is the wrong thread but.....

There was an article in hoopsdaily the other day, with an Atlanta writer recommending the Atlanta Hawks trade Josh Smith. Citing that Josh is tired off being picked on in the media and he feels too much pressure playing in his hometown.

No idea about how available he might be, but the Raptors should take a serious look at the guy.

Would you trade the number 5 pick and TPE for Josh Smith? It'd save Atlanta a lot of money where they can afford to go after another 3 guard and a legitimate 5 in the off-season.
                                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                                X