• The guys I believe would make solid pros around our selection:
    LaVine
    Willie Cauley- Stein ( If he drops)
    Anderson ( I'm on the fence about him)
    Ennis
    Warren
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Warren is yet another really interesting prospect that it's kinda hard to judge how he will do in the pros. I watched lots of ACC games this season and saw him play many times and he was fascinating to watch. Can't really shoot the three but can score in just about any way imaginable inside the arc with all kinds of floaters, short jumpers etc and did so at high efficiency. He was great in the open court/transition. He's not particularly athletic but much more so than Anderson for example. Will be interesting to see how that kind of game translates to the NBA. He could obviously develop a three point shot down the road as well. Can't really think of a good comparison for him in the league.

Comment

• Just thought of a good comparison for Lavine a poor mans Kerry kittles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          Can you link the intro again? I'm curious about this Suns guy. I listened to the podcast, Pelton said pretty much what I wrote, a slightly adjusted xRAPM. I'm sure it has value, like all similar stats, but I doubt this is how the Raptors or any other team would form their opinion about Henson. Although, who knows, this surely differs team to team.

I'm not a big Henson fan, by the way. I think he's physically gifted but clueless.

I'm just ranting about a pompous introduction of a new plus minus every year vs. gems that you hear when Morey, Mavs people, Voulgaris, etc decide to talk stats. I wish we had access to what those people are doing.
          http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...eal-plus-minus

I can't imagine any team strictly forming opinions from stats, no matter how advanced, there's too many other variables.

Hollinger's PER is one ESPN stat I really think is over rated, with your Henson description very apt. It captures his athleticism/skills and ignores his cluelessness.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            The ever-debatable Zach LaVine checks in to DraftExpress.com with a write up and video scouting report:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...reakdown--4443
            LaVine is nowhere close to being able to contribute to a NBA team at this point, but with his athleticism and shooting ability, someone in the latter part of the first round might decide to roll the dice on him and see if they can mold him into a useful player down the road, similar to what Oklahoma City is attempting to do with Jeremy Lamb thanks to their D-League team.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2yXgy1QI7
            http://www.draftexpress.com
            This. And don't forget the Raps do not have their own NBADL team. Hopefully all the talk on this kid can stop.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              This. And don't forget the Raps do not have their own NBADL team. Hopefully all the talk on this kid can stop.
              They are affiliated with Bakersfield.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Which they share with Atlanta, the Clippers, Phoenix, and Utah. So I think the point is that they don't have much control over what happens with their d-league affiliate.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                  The guys I believe would make solid pros around our selection:
                  LaVine
                  Willie Cauley- Stein ( If he drops)
                  Anderson ( I'm on the fence about him)
                  Ennis
                  Warren
                  Mine: Ill try in order but some will be flip a coin or depend on what future moves are made.
                  Ennis
                  Mcdermott
                  Stauskus
                  A. Payne
                  James Young
                  Lavine (high potential not sure what to think about him tho..)
                  Montrel Harrell

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Which they share with Atlanta, the Clippers, Phoenix, and Utah. So I think the point is that they don't have much control over what happens with their d-league affiliate.
                    Exactly. The teams that own their D-league teams are at a serious advantage. Other than the Defenders, all of them are playoff bound. Buycks couldn't even get minutes on Bakersfield. He was a low priority. So who cares about that affiliation? Furthermore, I'm not sure the Raps need another player who needs that much work to fit in. The Raps need a true backup center, a backup wing to replace Salmons, and a starting PF to ease the pressure on Amir.

MAYBE Pat Pat becomes that starter. MAYBE. He definitely is a positive player to have on the team either way. And a solid stopgap. MAYBE Fields finds his shot next year...Who knows. Of the playoff bound teams that go deep into their bench, the Raps need help for their bench more than most. The draft has to be about Seniors, Juniors, and international vets from Europe, etc., who can help by end of next season.

Of the NCAA guys, I like Napier (who appears willing to change his game depending on opponents -- not necessarily a position of need, but a guy who the Raps could plug and play), and Early (just a solid guy who can play the wing and guard the 4 versus small lineups). I like the athleticism of Warren, but do the Raps have the ability to develop him (even though he's further along than LaVine and Anderson)? I also think Stauskas is worth a look if he falls to the Raps. Same with Cauley-Stein.

It's not that I dislike Anderson or LaVine -- I just don't think they fit. The Raps need players that could fit the system, not players that need a system built around them-- if the goal is to build momentum from this season to the next.

Furthermore, what is the best outcome for LaVine? If everything goes perfect, MAYBE he becomes a poor man's Demar. The Raps already have the real deal, and have already spent the time and effort to develop him. Why spend time on a worse version when there are other areas of need? As far as Anderson, I have no clue what his best case scenario is. Ideally, he gets drafted early, or, to a weak team that can build a system around him. Maybe he's one of those players that creates their own blueprint. That would be pretty exciting, but, that doesn't benefit what the Raps need. There's no fit in Toronto.

Who knows what the Raps actually do. If it becomes a toss up between a handful of players of equal skill, then they might select the most athletic. They might draft LaVine. However, I can't see the present version of LaVine surviving on the Raptors present roster, or filling any of their needs.

Comment

• Love Patman, one of my fav raptors. Brings a lot more to the table than just his shooting, as I'm sure everyone knows. Real high IQ and "character" guy. Can't see him being a long term starter though, when he comes up against a big, physical opponent he tends to get pushed around a bit, even though he looks like he has powerful build. Not the greatest rebounder either. That being said the PF rotation is really solid, rather content with it.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        MAYBE Pat Pat becomes that starter. MAYBE. He definitely is a positive player to have on the team either way. And a solid stopgap. MAYBE Fields finds his shot next year...Who knows. Of the playoff bound teams that go deep into their bench, the Raps need help for their bench more than most. The draft has to be about Seniors, Juniors, and international vets from Europe, etc., who can help by end of next season.
                        No, no, no, no, no, NO!!

Are we trying to compete for a championship next year? Not likely. We need to take the BPA, even if it's all up-side and potential. Don't limit yourself to older players.

When we got rid of Colangelo, we got rid of "accelerated rebuilds". Masai said that this is a 5 year project; a little success in year 1 doesn't really change that.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Here's a breakdown of the "pending" declarations for the draft.

http://college-basketball.si.com/201...son/?eref=sihp

A couple of them I'd love to get early in the 2nd round, Harrison twins, Glenn Robinson III, and Nick Johnson.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                            Here's a breakdown of the "pending" declarations for the draft.

http://college-basketball.si.com/201...son/?eref=sihp

A couple of them I'd love to get early in the 2nd round, Harrison twins, Glenn Robinson III, and Nick Johnson.
                            After my dyslexic mess up, I'd be interested in learning more about Nikola Jokic. He is slated to go 45th right now by DraftExpress but if he plays well in Hoops Summit, I think he moves higher.

Would be good to have a backup C who can rebound, score inside, and stretch the floor.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              After my dyslexic mess up, I'd be interested in learning more about Nikola Jokic. He is slated to go 45th right now by DraftExpress but if he plays well in Hoops Summit, I think he moves higher.

Would be good to have a backup C who can rebound, score inside, and stretch the floor.
                              I think that is one of the reason's this draft is so exciting compared to other years, the 2nd round pick from Sacto can get us an interesting player. Usually there isn't much excitement about the 2nd rounder, but this year there is loads of potential depending on who declares.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                I think that is one of the reason's this draft is so exciting compared to other years, the 2nd round pick from Sacto can get us an interesting player. Usually there isn't much excitement about the 2nd rounder, but this year there is loads of potential depending on who declares.
                                Because Colangelo has usually traded it to save $150K in a Sebastian Telfair trade or equivalent trade. ;p

One thing I like about Ujiri is his value on draft picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X