• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
    The Baltic Beast:

20 Mins - 7/7 FG - 7-9 FT - 8 Reb (6 Offensive) - 1 TO - 1 BLK - 21 Pts

Averaging over 2 games:

15.7 Pts - 9 Rebs - 83.3% FG - 21 MPG
    If only our "best" players could score with that much efficiency!

I hope DC is watching and that JV becomes a focal point of the team's offense this season, as opposed to being an afterthought.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

I hope DC is watching and that JV becomes a focal point of the team's offense this season, as opposed to being an afterthought.
      During Summer League, Casey did state Jonas will be a focal point (not necessarily the focal point). Let's see if he's a man of his word.

"Come hell or high water"

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        His FGA as well!

21 points on 7 shots! Nuts.
        Yeah that is just freaking insane...

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

Running our offense through the C is an approach I really like/hope to look forward too. Kind of a Grizzlies-type approach.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• I like to stress, 21 points with 7 shots.. in 20 minutes

Remember that first half he had in summer league where we thought he was going to score 40? His first quarter 16 points made him look like he was going for 60. Then he wasnt played for all the 2nd and 4th quarters. In the 3rd quarter he didnt get the ball until 5 minutes left. In the last 5 minutes, he was passed the ball in the post 3 times. twice he did a simple drop step for a dominate dunk and the third he was fouled for 1/2 FT. Had they just only fed him the ball in the post, JV was ready to drop 60+.

I think whats so wicked about JV is that he is showing he can handle a higher usage. His FG% is always so damn high, you'd think he should be taking more shots!
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• I really think Jonas' has the potential to be the best offensive center in the league.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
                I really think Jonas' has the potential to be the best offensive center in the league.
                With his new girth, I think he can punish most centers in the league. And thats without mentioning his jumpshot, quickness, and soft touch. JV has yet to show how he will handle being double teamed, but in summer league he showed ready to play quarter back in the post, which gives our team a new dynamic. Anyways it shouldnt be much of a problem with Rudy Gay also demanding to be double teamed.

Comment

• JV is a beast! Nuff said!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                    I like to stress, 21 points with 7 shots.. in 20 minutes

Remember that first half he had in summer league where we thought he was going to score 40? His first quarter 16 points made him look like he was going for 60. Then he wasnt played for all the 2nd and 4th quarters. In the 3rd quarter he didnt get the ball until 5 minutes left. In the last 5 minutes, he was passed the ball in the post 3 times. twice he did a simple drop step for a dominate dunk and the third he was fouled for 1/2 FT. Had they just only fed him the ball in the post, JV was ready to drop 60+.

I think whats so wicked about JV is that he is showing he can handle a higher usage. His FG% is always so damn high, you'd think he should be taking more shots!
                    I think usage is still going to be an issue with JV next season.. with DD/Gay/Lowry all taking a lot of shots there won't be much left for JV. Hopefully the coach makes JV the #2 option after Gay and leave DD/Lowry scrambling for 3rd.

The way I see it Gay/DD will take turns.. Lowry will want his and JV will end up getting scraps (put backs on offensive rebounds and the odd pass when Gay/Lowry don't feel like shooting).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I think usage is still going to be an issue with JV next season.. with DD/Gay/Lowry all taking a lot of shots there won't be much left for JV. Hopefully the coach makes JV the #2 option after Gay and leave DD/Lowry scrambling for 3rd.

The way I see it Gay/DD will take turns.. Lowry will want his and JV will end up getting scraps (put backs on offensive rebounds and the odd pass when Gay/Lowry don't feel like shooting).
                      I'm hoping DD/Gay/Lowry are all gone, or at the very least Gay/Lowry, for valuable assets and JV is the #1 (or #2) option!

*not trying to start another tank discussion, just saying*

Comment

From boy to beast.

Comment

• Maybe it's just his posture but it seems like he's gotten significantly bigger in the chest area.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
                            Maybe it's just his posture but it seems like he's gotten significantly bigger in the chest area.
                            He definitely has. In the tummy area too me thinks. Lol

I'd be curious to know what his new playing weight is.

Comment

• Arms thicker, Shoulders broader, Jersey tighter.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                He definitely has. In the tummy area too me thinks. Lol

I'd be curious to know what his new playing weight is.
                                Same. I'd really like to see him get to around 260lbs. Combine his finesse game with some strength and bulk inside and its lights out.

Casey should also really focus on getting him to defend how Chandler did for the Mavericks in the 2011 playoffs. Very similar body types and mobility. Val could easily become an excellent helpside defender, rim protector and a guy who really controls the paint on the defensive end.

I'm scared to hype Val too much, because at the end of the day we have to remember this is Toronto. But it's not like we haven't drafted stars before, so who's to say Val can't become one? Maybe even an All-NBAer.

Comment

Working...
                                X