2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
    I did the espn nba draft lottery thingy and when the raptors win the #1 pick it always shows us choosing D Will. well anyway here is the link:http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2011/mockdraft

Try for your selves
    As I said on the other thread. It's not as if it's random. Ford thinks the Raptors will pick Williams if they get the #1 pick.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Colangelo insights on draft

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...lottery_051611

president Bryan Colangelo wasn’t carrying a lucky charm when he represented the franchise at the NBA’s 2006 draft lottery. The Raptors won the No. 1 pick and selected forward Andrea Bargnani(notes), who has yet to become an All-Star. Raptors fans can decide whether Colangelo’s luck was good or bad.

Five years later, Colangelo will return to the draft lottery stage Tuesday night. He still doesn’t plan to carry some totem to bring him good luck, and even if he did it might not matter. After the past four drafts produced Kevin Durant(notes), Derrick Rose(notes), Blake Griffin(notes) and John Wall(notes), 2011 isn’t expected to offer any can’t-miss stars.

Whoever wins the lottery can’t be sure they’ll receive a franchise-changing player.
      “You can only pick who’s there,” Colangelo said.

One Western Conference general manager was more succinct in his analysis of this year’s pool of available players.

“It’s horrendous,” he said. “Every year we always talk about how bad the draft is. This year we really mean it.”

Colangelo considers Duke freshman point guard Kyrie Irving and Arizona sophomore forward Derrick Williams the top prospects available, but said the rest of the draft holds a lot of “murkiness.”
      “Every team will probably look at it a little bit differently,” Colangelo said. “Once the results of the lottery are known we will have a more clearer idea of what’s going on up there. If Washington wins the lottery, it’s pretty clear that they probably don’t require a point guard – and if someone really wants a point guard they will probably make an attempt to make some type of a deal with Washington. That might go for a couple of teams as well.”
      When asked if the upcoming draft was strong in anything, Riley said: “Not especially.” Colangelo thinks there will be some players taken next month who will have long NBA careers. In this light of a draft, it’s possible the prospect taken 15th ends up being the fifth-best player overall.

“There’s a little bit less to be desired at the top,” Colangelo said. “There are two clear-cut choices at the top, and then it’s very wide-open. That’s not to say that there are players that won’t have an impact and will ultimately be successful in the league. There is just not a lot of depth in regard to star impact.”

Comment

• When asked if the upcoming draft was strong in anything, Riley said: “Not especially.” Colangelo thinks there will be some players taken next month who will have long NBA careers. In this light of a draft, it’s possible the prospect taken 15th ends up being the fifth-best player overall.
        I think he is talking about faried

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
          I think he is talking about faried
          Yes, because it's obvious that he's not simply speaking in general terms and actually referring to a specific player.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Looks like BC is blowing smoke. The consensus around the draft is that Irving and Williams will go 1 and 2 in some order so it is safe to mention those players, but if Kanter is the target if we don't get the # 1 pick BC will not want to show his hand and deflect away from who he wants.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Found this stuff very interesting.

Basically says...

Pick 1 over last 26 years:
              Average wins before Draft (24.4)
              Average Wins in First Year (32.9 or +8.4)
              Average wins in 2nd (36.7 or +12.3)
              Avg. wins in 3rd (41.7 or +17.3)

Pick 2 over Last 26 Years:
              Average wins before Draft (27.5)
              Average Wins in First Year (34 or +6.5)
              Average wins in 2nd (36.1 or +8.6)
              Avg. wins in 3rd (39.8 or +12.2)

Pick 3 over Last 26 years:
              Average wins before Draft (24.1)
              Average Wins in First Year (33.9 or +9.8)
              Average wins in 2nd (34.4 or +10.3)
              Avg. wins in 3rd (35.3 or +11.2)

Note that the 2nd pick on Average, has a BETTER record than the 3rd Pick leading into the Draft.
              And the 3rd pick actually has the WORST record on Average.

According to this. We pick Second, after Cleveland. Followed by Minni.
              Last edited by Joey; Tue May 17, 2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• With the fifth overall pick in the 2011 draft...

So the Raptors got the fifth pick. What do we do with it now? Do we hope that either Kyrie or Kemba drop? Or maybe we go for Brandon Knight? Do we trade the pick away? What do you guys think?

Comment

• We stick to the same strategy as before: We draft the best person avalible
                  My guess is Walker, although im not sure how I feel about that...

Comment

• Scenario 1:

Draft Brandon Knight, plays solid D, good shooter and is very young.

Also if we can trade Andrea to Memphis for Marc Gasol, I would do it in a heart beat.

Scenario 2:

Draft a C

Trade Andrea + Bayless for Jennings + shitty contract (should get it done)
                    Last edited by Raptors; Tue May 17, 2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• We would all make that trade, thats why they would not
                      And i'm not sold on Knight, I think Walker is better,
                      although i think we need to draft a center instead

Comment

• there are still good players at 5th. Jonas Valanciunas, Kemba walker, or knight seem like they could be the pick... maybe biyomb, maybe

Comment

• Raptors wrote: View Post
                          Scenario 1:

Draft Brandon Knight, plays solid D, good shooter and is very young.

Also if we can trade Andrea to Memphis for Marc Gasol, I would do it in a heart beat.

Scenario 2:

Draft a C

Trade Andrea + Bayless for Jennings + shitty contract (should get it done)
                          If we could trade Andrea to Chicago for Rose, I would do it in a heart beat. Oh wait, I thought we were listing things we wish would happen but never would.

Comment

• Bismack.

Comment

• @ Quix
                              Are you comparing jennings with rose??? Thought so. The chances of landing Jennings are very slim, even Gasol. But I just provided the base, but to get things done Raptors would need to offer much more, but that still doesn't guarantee things. Like I said I am giving scenarios... so chill out.

Comment

• Raptors wrote: View Post
                                @ Quix
                                Are you comparing jennings with rose??? Thought so. The chances of landing Jennings are very slim, even Gasol. But I just provided the base, but to get things done Raptors would need to offer much more, but that still doesn't guarantee things. Like I said I am giving scenarios... so chill out.
                                No, I thought it was pretty clear the comparison was to Gasol. And the only person getting all flustered is you right now, so you chill out and get a sense of humor. =P

Comment

Working...
                                X